PDA

View Full Version : TRG problems? Is this a solution ?? Dual string supressors?

Bowhunter_IL_BT
05-15-2011, 01:08 PM
I see a lot of people are having issues with the TRG. There is a guy who made a custom TRG with just a single rod in a bent 45 degree angle position. This design he used enabled the regular cable slide to move in that 45 degree angle postion. Maybe this could be a better design idea for next year?

Another is the SOS concept. Instead of the one that people have had trouble with breaking. Maybe Martin should have dual string supressors one on top and bottom. Bear Archery does this. Maybe make modifications on the TRG and then use dual supressors. What do you all think?

HawgEnvy
05-15-2011, 02:14 PM
I think it's a viable concept. I thought about dual SOS's. I haven't got much further though.

Simple Life
05-15-2011, 02:40 PM
The dual string suppressors work very well,no hand shock and make it very quiet.

Destroyer
05-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Bear Archery does this.

They have the best suppressor because the rubber if offset, the rod isn't inline with the string so the riser doesn't cop most of the shock. The only bad thing is replacing two rubbers instead of one. Fortunately they don't cost much more.

Btw, I'm not a huge fan of stops period. I'd rather use catwisker's.

Speedykills
05-15-2011, 04:01 PM
I see a lot of people are having issues with the TRG. There is a guy who made a custom TRG with just a single rod in a bent 45 degree angle position. This design he used enabled the regular cable slide to move in that 45 degree angle postion. Maybe this could be a better design idea for next year?

Another is the SOS concept. Instead of the one that people have had trouble with breaking. Maybe Martin should have dual string supressors one on top and bottom. Bear Archery does this. Maybe make modifications on the TRG and then use dual supressors. What do you all think?

I think the best bet is the CCS &STS combo............seems eveybody is trying to push there own version of this so it must work.If it aint broke dont fix it.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-15-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm not a huge fan of stops period. I'd rather use catwisker's.
I use both and the bow is quiet real quiet.

Hutch:cool:

MLN1963
05-15-2011, 04:17 PM
The dual string suppressors work very well,no hand shock and make it very quiet.

What model Bear do you have?

Destroyer
05-15-2011, 04:23 PM

Noticed quite a few bows having both lately. Can't beat the whiskers! :)

Simple Life
05-15-2011, 04:25 PM
What model Bear do you have?

Strike,:)...

HawgEnvy
05-15-2011, 06:42 PM

Hutch:cool:

we sure think alot alike. I use both,also

SonnyThomas
05-15-2011, 07:28 PM
I saw a pic of, I think, a Bear Carnage that had dual string suppressors.

One suppressor or dual suppressors? How about none? None equal less to adjust or worry about. This quiet BS is just that, BS. What's noisy on a bow? Well, for one, quivers. Another, some of the slider sights. Vital Gear probably had/has one the best sliders out and mine was a pure rattle trap. My hunting bow has only Limb Savers bolted on the limbs, nothing else. No string leaches, no whiskers, no quiver, no nothing. Shortest kill shot was right off the arrow. Longest kill shot was 36 yards. Two or three deer were looking right at me right before they headed for the freezer.

Is the sight noisy? Find out. Take it off the bow and shoot the bow. My sight is dead silent.

Arrow dragging noise from the rest launch arm. Coat it with something and make sure to check it for wear. A roll of electrical tape will last a quite a few thousand shots - last probably a few bows worth. Small can of that rubber coat stuff used for tools. Scentless finger nail polish will last quite a few shots. I hate those prong nylon covers. So thick and then people wonder why their point of impact changed when the nylon cover is wore down to the prong. Of course, a lot of the wear down and some noise is due to setting the rest improperly or poor bow tune. (Off subject, but the shoot through prong style rest should have the spring tension set so the arrow will not come up fully on it's own. Quick instruction; Set the tension so the arrow comes up through drawing the bow.)

bfisher
05-16-2011, 05:10 AM
You're so right, Sonny. In many cases the culprit causing noise is cheap acccesories, especially quivers. Most sights can have nuts or screws tightened to eliminate rattle, but those darned cheap plastic quivers are something we are stuck with. I wish somebody would make one with the supprts made of aluminum and laminated with rubber. Then mold a hood out of some sort of hard rubber. I guess this would make it heavier though.

Rests? I won't even get into this because I'm not a big fan of drop away rests. Anything with moving parts has to make some noise. I still like a Star Hunter on a hunting bow. A little shrink tube over the prongs and it's quiet as a mouse, albeit a noisy mouse.

No bow is going to be absolutely dead quiet. I still think that it's not the amount of noise a bow makes, but the frequency generated by the bow. We all know that metallic noise is a no-no.

cyclepath
05-16-2011, 07:46 AM
They have the best suppressor because the rubber if offset, the rod isn't inline with the string so the riser doesn't cop most of the shock. The only bad thing is replacing two rubbers instead of one. Fortunately they don't cost much more.

Btw, I'm not a huge fan of stops period. I'd rather use catwisker's.

IMO the suppressors on the bear bows is their answer to the mathews suppressors. Mathews come right off the limb and the rubbers are also offset, close to the cams. Kinda like keeping up with the Jones's.

Rockyhud
05-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Interesting observation. Before I tried using a Martin TRG/SOS on my 08 Firecat I was using the OEM carbon cable guard rod and Saunders Hyper-Glide Slide and my own custom designed upper STS that placed the upper suppressor almost equidistant above the d-loop as the OEM STS is below. Of all the string suppression methods I've tried I believe this was probably the quietest. Now that I have my own TRG/cable slide system which seems to be working well I'm seriously thinking of remounting my upper STS again to see if my recollection of quietness is correct - and to see if it's compatible with my TRG since the cables are allowed to move considerably closer to centershot now. I had to adjust the OEM lower STS in order to eliminate cable interference so I think my upper STS should work again too. I'm using Limb Saver Decelerator Modules for the rubber stops, top and bottom, which have a slimmer vertical profile than my OEM STS rubber stop. If I determine it's usable again I'll post pics for anyone who's interested to see.

Bowhunter_IL_BT
05-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Bfisher I disagree to a point about fall away rests. I have a Qad ULtra rest HD and that rest is phenominal. I think it depends on the brand or type of fall away whether it makes the noise or not. For me and my 2010 Cheetah the QAD makes no noise at all. My Cheetah last year was so noisy but it was because I had a rubber tube peep and my sight needed to tightened up. Now I have a tubeless peep and a custom string on and its a lot better sound wise and it shoots harder and faster.

Sonny I think supressors help out tremendously! I know so many people who don't use leeches or twisters and there bow is so quiet. There is proof in the pudding that the string supressor quiets a bow down and stops the string from oscillating. However, I do feel the supressor has to be tuned properly. The old fashioned twisters do work as well. I have such a short draw that im looking to retain as much speed as possible. :D

Mathews does have a good inovation with those 2 small supressors on each axle. Im surprised noone else copied that.

MLN1963
05-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Mathews does have a good inovation with those 2 small supressors on each axle. Im surprised noone else copied that.

It seems to me that Bear's dual arc suppressors would more effective since they are brought in further towards the middle of the bow. This leaves less string to be oscillating which seems to be the point. The only thing about the dual arc system is some people can't get past the looks and write it off. If you are into function and not form they are very effective. Personally, I think they look kinda cool. The Mauler I shot was very quiet and vibration free.

SonnyThomas
05-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Well, I have to add we are humans. We don't hear what animals hear. Like I said this noise stuff is so much BS. bfisher said it best with the word frequency, the pitch. So long many wonder how a dog knew that a pheasant or quail lay under a blanket of snow and now we know dogs can hear the heart beat of the pheasant or quail.

Frequency of sound made by something is what deer hear. Trees fall and deer don't run. Farm country is my home. Tractors, diesel fuel fumes, clanging metal, dogs barking and guns firing and just look and go back to whatever they were doing.

So noise and a deer "jumping the string?" No, not really. If they "jump" chances are they were already put on alert by something else. Their nervous system hangs in there, continues well after a scary situation. They say a dog can run a deer to death. Maybe so, but they also may go into shock faze that hurries that death. This shock faze is more seen in rabbits. A mink or weasel is less than have the size of a rabbit, but wildlife researchers have found that the mink or weasel "hound" the rabbit until it goes into shock and then go for the kill.

Bottom line for me, a bow has to be pretty loud before it makes a deer "jump the string." More, many times deer don't know where the sound comes from and especially if the sound is in close. Okay, they hear the sound loud and clear, but what they see is what really turns on the "run for it." Yep, bow hunters shoot and they move after the shot. I've shot deer with pistols and had that deer or deer with the one shot run right at me. I do my best to not move, not drop my bow arm or string arm/hand or move anything until I know I made the shot. If accompanying deer remain at the sight I don't move until they move off. Deer do have memories.

Noise, bow tune, proper spine of arrow, gots to have camo this and that. All things hunters tend to worry about and what they should be worrying about is themselves.

madlaz
05-17-2011, 02:35 AM
I have duel string suppressors on my scepter 4 shoot thru took most vibes out of bow and it sure is quieter and it shoots great got one above and below the nock.

wscywabbit
05-17-2011, 06:33 AM
I'm with you Sonny. Much of what hunters worry about these days is driven by marketing and not necessity. I grew up hunting and when i tell people about sitting on stand with my grandpa next to a little fire to keep us warm they can't believe that we ever killed anything. Throw in the fact that we never wore camo or used scent killer and it'll floor them. My grandpa and great grandpa have killed more animals in their red flannel shirts smelling of pipe tobacco standing next to a fire or walking through the woods in noisy logging boots than most of us ever will. :D

MLN1963
05-17-2011, 10:09 AM
A fire in a tree stand? That is something else!

gravedigger
05-17-2011, 10:12 AM
last winter during an elk hunt i made a fire under a natural ground blind.i was coooold and wet.needed that fire.but seen no dinner walking by:(

cyclepath
05-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Kinda got off topic here but what the hey. Everyone has an opinion as far as their personal preference for this or that when it comes to archery, or hunting if you will. No one is a 100% right or a 100% wrong, it depends on the person. Every bow company impoves their line every year for their share of the profits. Some people will feed into the hype and the got to have it mentality. How many people sell a 1 year old bow for 1/2 the price they paid for it to buy a new bow? How many still hunt with a 10 year old bow and still love it? Technology is what many people are looking for. Building a better mouse trap if you will. Do you need all the new high tech equipment that's available, certainly not, but some people look for this in a new bow. You can still hunt with traditional bows and many still do, yet even recurves and longbows continue to improve, many people can't shoot them worth a damn which is why they use a compound in the first place. Do you need all the bells and whistles to hunt, nope, but some buy into it. How many hunt from a deer stand, do you need it, nope, but how many use one? You can pick apart anything that has to do with hunting. What someone likes in a hunting bow someone else may not. To each their own.

Bowhunter_IL_BT
05-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Frequency of sound made by something is what deer hear. Trees fall and deer don't run. Farm country is my home. Tractors, diesel fuel fumes, clanging metal, dogs barking and guns firing and just look and go back to whatever they were doing.

Sonny all those sounds deer adapt to they hear them continously throught the year so they tune them out. My buddy drew on a skittish Doe last January in cool N. Illinois and his cam barely clicked as he drew back and that doe took off like a bat out of hell. I think certain sounds they are not used to can be a problem sometimes. I have yet to have a deer jump the string on me but it does happen I see on videos all the time.

Also I never shoot with a quiver on. I recommend the Alpine detachable one. The quiver is easier to use. Not only is it cheap but the adapter has rubber on it and I think it helps to quiet it down. I keep the screws tight and its great. What helped my bow big time last year was taking that useless tube peep sight off. I have a G5 tubeless peep on and not only is it light but not even served in. I shot it over 300 times and it has not even budged.

Destroyer
05-17-2011, 08:42 PM
I think certain sounds they are not used to can be a problem sometimes.

Yep. Mechanical or metal type sounds seem to scare game more.