PDA

View Full Version : re-enforcing limb tips

HawgEnvy
05-18-2011, 06:54 PM
is there any way to easily do this or would I be better off buying the limbs from a dual cam bow? Anyone want to trade there dual cams/limbs for single? Long shot,i know.

gibson 787
05-18-2011, 07:07 PM
G'day Hawg, I've never heard of anyone doing this and I wouldn't attempt it but that's not to say it couldn't be done. Are you going to put dual cams on the Cheetah? What I'd do is contact Joel at Martin and see what his take is on it. Maybe you could trade in or swap for a pair with Martin.

I think that any alteration to the limbs would instantly void any warranty and or any legal claim for injury that may happen as a result of a failed limb.

HawgEnvy
05-18-2011, 08:50 PM
it's an '08 and I'm not the original owner so I don't think it would be under warranty anyway. I could be wrong though. I've been wanting to make the Cheetah a dual cam since I got it. It almost got the nitrous C cams but I didnt like the narrow valley.

Destroyer
05-18-2011, 08:56 PM
is there any way to easily do this or would I be better off buying the limbs from a dual cam bow?

Better off with new limbs (4X CoreFlex limbs), that way you can always go back if you need to or if you want to sell the bow, etc.

I'm not totally against the idea of putting the rivets in yourself, I'm just not sure if that is the only difference. Drill two holes and whack in some rivets, pretty simple, but is it enough?

gibson 787
05-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Something just occurred to me, as I understand it the rivets were put into the limbs to stop them from splitting at the axles. But from what I have seen, the problem was in the old laminated variety when they delaminated at that spot. They are now solid and I can't help thinking that drilling a hole and inserting a rivet would weaken the area???? I am not an engineer, but I thought the purpose of rivets was to help hold the laminations in the old limbs together. The new limbs are not laminated so why the rivets? :confused:

HawgEnvy
05-18-2011, 10:11 PM
yeah. Prolly not a good idea. I'm not sure about the construction of the limbs. I want to enjoy my bow,not kill myself with it. Lol

Destroyer
05-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Don't think the 2011 limbs are going to fit anyway.

The new limbs are not laminated so why the rivets? :confused:

Aesthetics? Confidence?

HawgEnvy
05-19-2011, 05:19 PM
'09 and older limbs will fit. Not sure how old,but the limbs from my 04 C3 Magnum would fit. Are the limbs on '09 and older dual cams re-enforced?

Destroyer
05-20-2011, 03:45 PM
2009 were but I'm not so sure about 2008. '09 limbs didn't work right with 2008 and earlier anyway. I had issues with '09 limbs on a '07 Pantera.

polaris754
05-20-2011, 04:59 PM
me thinks gibs is right , just my opinion the extra holes loses strength:eek:

Destroyer
05-21-2011, 02:52 PM
I don't think there is a lot of stress on the end of the limb anyway. You could probably cut some off and make no difference. Not going to try myself though! ;)

HawgEnvy
05-21-2011, 06:24 PM
I won't be trying that eirher. Lol. What I'd really like is to be able to keep my limbs and run dual cams w/o worrying bout my limbs bein ruined. Is there any proof that non re-enforcrced limb tips will not work w dual cams. How can a little rivet prevent damage anyway?

HawgEnvy
05-21-2011, 06:36 PM
I forgot to add, if anyone has a spare set of cat cams,or nitro 2.0 cams to try on the cheetah limbs that are NOT re-enforced, I'll be the guinea pig.

Destroyer
05-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Is there any proof that non re-enforcrced limb tips will not work w dual cams.

Not that I can tell you, its a trial and error thing. All we go by is the Martin's sold with dual's have them. But that isn't proof, it might be that the bows that have them cost more and have the better limb, like my 2010 Pantera. Single cam but had the better 4X limbs with the rivot.

Just fyi, in the ninety's I wanted a Hoyt Spectra Mako (hard cams) but only had a Hoyt Spectra Eclipse with energy wheels so I bought some hard cams, put them on and it was fine. No thought of the limb failing.

HawgEnvy
05-22-2011, 06:02 AM
I think I'm going to have to do some mythbusting on this one. I'm gonna look around for a set of dual cams(cat,or nitro 2.0). Probably the only way I'll get a for sure answer.

gibson 787
05-22-2011, 12:24 PM
I won't be trying that eirher. Lol. What I'd really like is to be able to keep my limbs and run dual cams w/o worrying bout my limbs bein ruined. Is there any proof that non re-enforcrced limb tips will not work w dual cams. How can a little rivet prevent damage anyway?

Hawg, i have a suggestion. The limbs you have I imagine would be the laminated variety and rivets are needed to hold the laminations together if they are fitted with dual cams. So rather than risking damage by drilling holes for rivets, I'd suggest binding the ends with serving material followed by a coating of epoxy resin over the serving. You won't be able to get much binding on, so it will need to be as tight as you can get it. Also, make sure the binding and resin doesn't protrude out too far so as to make contact with the cams.

You will also probably require a spacer kit from Martin, as the new cams will likely be different sizes from the single cams. The kit contains a large variety of different sized spacers.

HawgEnvy
05-22-2011, 01:10 PM
do you know of any links to the binding process? Does that actually work?

gibson 787
05-22-2011, 01:28 PM
do you know of any links to the binding process? Does that actually work?

Don't know any links, but if you got it on tight, it would definitely strengthen the tips. Try a few Googles on things like 'best knots for binding', 'best way to tightly bind things together', or 'how to add strength with binding'

Destroyer
05-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Probably the only way I'll get a for sure answer.

Yep. Really, I don't see a huge difference between single's and dual's as far as stress is concerned. The single cams are loading up the limbs enough to get fast speeds these days. Maybe a call to Martin might help.

Just had a thought gibson 787, maybe the reinforcement is for the increased vibration? I keep thinking its purely a 'loading' issue.