PDA

View Full Version : Finally set up

wscywabbit
05-20-2011, 07:14 AM
So I've had my Onza for 3 weeks now, and because of weather and work, haven't had many opportunities to get out and shoot. I finally got out this week and actually gave it a chance to run, and this cat is something else!

After playing with the SOS placement and adding string silencers to the string and cables, it is virtually silent and shock free. With all the accessories, its just over 6 lbs (about the same as my Saber), is easy hold at draw (the draw stop provides a backwall like a rock), is extremely stable and accurate.

I shoot 27" Easton Axis Nanos, with 100grn tips and Blazer vanes; totalling 397 grns. I have a fairly short draw (28 1/4 amo), the bow is set at 69 lbs, and with nothing but a nock loop and a peep, I was getting and average of 274 fps. With the silencers, I dropped to 271.

So far (with a couple hundred arrows flung) I'm not showing any string wear at the TRG, or serving wear at the cams, but will keep an eye on it as I know these things may take time.

As of right now, I am extremely happy with this bow and give Martin a big 2 thumbs up! :cool:

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/wscywabbit/DSCF5874.jpg

Money Man
05-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Looks nice. Glad you are up and running with it.

HawgEnvy
05-20-2011, 08:32 AM
nice bow. But shouldn't that be at least breaking the 300fps mark?

Rockyhud
05-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Sounds like a nice bow indeed. If I wasn't still happy with my 08 Firecat the Onza 3 would be my choice.

As to speed, to me it sounds like it's doing pretty well. If I recall correctly AMO draw length is 1.75" shorter than IBO, which is what bow makers use to rate their product's speed. If so, that would make his IBO DL 26.5". It's nice too that adding silencers only dropped the speed about 3 fps - not a bad trade off for the improved silence.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Its all wronghttp://www.archerysite.net/vb/images/smilies/eek.gif throw it away and start over!http://www.archerysite.net/vb/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Nice bow and setup!
Hutch:cool:

Rockyhud
05-20-2011, 11:34 AM
I get first dibs on it if he follows Hutch's recommendation.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-20-2011, 11:37 AM
I get first dibs on it if he follows Hutch's recommendation.
Split it 50/50 Rocky h, ;)

Hutch:cool:

wscywabbit
05-20-2011, 03:08 PM
As to speed, to me it sounds like it's doing pretty well. If I recall correctly AMO draw length is 1.75" shorter than IBO, which is what bow makers use to rate their product's speed. If so, that would make his IBO DL 26.5". It's nice too that adding silencers only dropped the speed about 3 fps - not a bad trade off for the improved silence.

AMO is true draw (deepest part of grip to apex of string) + 1.75". I called Martin before I ordered the bow to ask how they set their specs because I was concerned about my short draw. They said that they use AMO, so on the Onza, the shortest setting should be 27.5" AMO. I figured I had lots of room... no I'm on the shortest setting. So to those of you out there that have shorter draws than I, the Onza may not be for you lol

Destroyer
05-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Nice bow. What do you think of the biscuit?

wscywabbit
05-20-2011, 04:10 PM
I love the biscuit. I know it drops a couple fps off my speed, but there's no moving parts to fail, it's consistent, and easy to tune. I haven't joined any clubs or anything, so I don't compete; I got into archery to hunt and it's a hunter's rest.

It has contact with the arrow all the way through, so if your form and especially your follow through isn't good, then you will have erratic groups. I learned with a biscuit, so it's not a big deal to me.

I can get 2-3" groups or better at 40 yds, and the only thing I suggest is to change the insert (bristles) every once in a while. I shoot about once a week, more when hunting season is close. So I change mine about once a year.