PDA

View Full Version : Whisker Biscuit users, opinions needed.

Destroyer
05-20-2011, 03:59 PM
I'd like to hear anyone's opinion on the Biscuit, what they thought, how long it has lasted, noise, best vanes used, etc.

I just bought one of these things after years of looking and wondering if they would be any good. So far I'm very impressed with the result. 'Simplicity' on a hunting bow is what I am after, drop rests have been giving me the sh*ts lately, just more complication than is needed.

wscywabbit
05-20-2011, 04:13 PM
LOL, just answered you question in my thread, so let me sum up: Biscuit gets a thumbs up from me! :p

Destroyer
05-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Sorry for asking it twice in just a few minutes. :o

I love the biscuit. I know it drops a couple fps off my speed, but there's no moving parts to fail, it's consistent, and easy to tune. I haven't joined any clubs or anything, so I don't compete; I got into archery to hunt and it's a hunter's rest.

It has contact with the arrow all the way through, so if your form and especially your follow through isn't good, then you will have erratic groups. I learned with a biscuit, so it's not a big deal to me.

I can get 2-3" groups or better at 40 yds, and the only thing I suggest is to change the insert (bristles) every once in a while. I shoot about once a week, more when hunting season is close. So I change mine about once a year.

Only lost a couple of fps too, quite surprised.

polaris754
05-20-2011, 04:51 PM
well i dont have a biscuit rest but the old prong serves me well i guess its hard to relate that my rest is older then me , but alas lol!!!!!!!! old things werk good sometimes , my guess is that from what i have heard that u have to replace the brisket often to keep accuracy up , i guess like everything else they wear out GOOD LUC GOOD SHOOTING AND MOST OF ALL FERGOT LOL !!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

cjchasman
05-20-2011, 05:00 PM
In my opinion they are pretty much a no brainer for a hunting bow. I love 'em. I have one on all my hunting bows and have NEVER had to replace anything. In Ohio we have to remember to treat them for the elements of Winter by spraying waterproofing into the bristles. I feel the 4" vanes work best for me. You will bugger up some vanes on your practice arrows but I have learned to live w/ that. The Biscuit is worth it! ;)

Scott
05-20-2011, 05:33 PM
I had on a pos, um a pse, sold the bow. Had a drop and the old prong style, went back the the biscut on the Rytera. Love it, plenty of arrows through it. They don't need to be changed neer as often as the 360's with the brush's in them. I wouldn't use anything else. Any style of fletch works. 4",blazers and 3" dura's all have gone through mine. Noise? What noise.

SonnyThomas
05-20-2011, 07:38 PM
I will not deny that the Whisker Biscuit is a good hunter rest. However, one will not go on any of my bows.

gravedigger
05-20-2011, 08:14 PM
I will not deny that the Whisker Biscuit is a good hunter rest. However, one will not go on any of my bows.

x2,i would like the NAP 360.the loss of fps from a biscuit is not worth it to me.

Speedykills
05-20-2011, 08:20 PM
Ive used them before with great success,but it didnt take long to switch to dropaway,now i use code red,both of best worlds.
For me after 30yds the biscuit isnt as accurate as my code red,i shoot out to 70yds,night and day in accuracy for me as the biscuit i couldnt hit the x for the life of me.I doubt ill ever go back to biscuits and gravy............................:p

Money Man
05-20-2011, 08:21 PM
I have a biscuit on my bow and it is the only type of rest I have ever shot. So far... I don't dislike the rest, I just dislike the idea of having to buy a new biscuit every year or so. I know parts break and get worn out, but to have to make regular replacement a necessity...

gibson 787
05-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Like Gravedigger, I prefer the NAP Quiktune 360, but with the new brushes. Have tried the Biscuit and it was OK, but IMO not as good as the 360. The new design brushes on the 360 are excellent, absolutely no fletch contact and last thousands of shots.

wscywabbit
05-20-2011, 09:02 PM
I'm pretty anal about my stuff, so probably change it more than is necessary. I have a friend that has had the same insert for going on 4 years. Considering that a new insert is only $15, I think is small price for an annual "tune up" lol

HawgEnvy
05-21-2011, 06:06 AM
trophy taker drop away rests only for me.

bfisher
05-21-2011, 08:14 AM

I feel much the same and i have had WB's on several of my bows just to try it and draw my own conclusions. I've heen hunting and shooting for so many years and have never had the need of a capture rest. Of course I don't really care for drop aways either as I think they create as many problems as they solve. Everything has it's tradeoffs.

In the past I relied on a Star Hunter type for most of my hunting rigs. Simple and once tuned and locked down there's nothing to go wrong. I couldn't tell you the last time I had an arrow fall of a rest as I keep my draw weight to a point that I don't slam into the stops when drawing the bow. It's about being able to control the draw cycle.

Now that I've given up hunting I still use one (Superstar) on my Nemisis and a TT Blade rest on the Alien Z.

Capture rests have a couple drawbacks. The main one is that I shoot for accuracy and still have breakdowns in form. With capture rests it is imperative that you hold your follow through better if you want the best accuracy. Of course, hunting accuracy is not the same as target accuracy. Still...........

cyclepath
05-21-2011, 09:08 AM
With capture rests it is imperative that you hold your follow through better if you want the best accuracy.

Just curios Barry, what arrow rest do you use that you do not need to hold your follow through to get the best accuracy lol. :cool:

bfisher
05-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Just curios Barry, what arrow rest do you use that you do not need to hold your follow through to get the best accuracy lol. :cool:

Maybe I didn't say it right. Good shooting sequence would mean a good follow through no mater what bow, arrow, rest or anything else. I think we can agree on that. But with rests like the bisquit where the arrow is "held" in place till it's gone it's important to hold that follow through just that millisecond longer than with drop aways or conventional shoot through or around rests.

Not saying the WB isn't a good rest. It's plenty good enough for most hunting and especially useful for beginners, and it can be as accurate as any other rest IF the shooter holds the shot. Unfortunately we aren't machines.

Let's face it. If it were the ultimate in accuracy then there wouldn't be any need for other types of rests and certainly the Pros would all be shooting one in competition.

Skbengal
05-21-2011, 11:36 AM
I've got an 08 Bengal that has had a biscuit on it since day one.Haven't had to replace the whiskers yet.I find that 2" blazers stand up the best as far as fletching goes.I fletch my own arrows so thats no problem for me.As for accuracy, I practice out to 70 yds and find its not a problem.As far as I'm concerned the fewer parts and pieces to get caught in the bush on your way to and from a stand in the dark the better!If you try it I don't think you'll be disappointed.

SonnyThomas
05-21-2011, 01:27 PM
x2,i would like the NAP 360.the loss of fps from a biscuit is not worth it to me.

Just to prove I'm don't discriminate, I don't like the NAP 360 either. In fact, I don't know of a capture rest that I do like.

Like bfisher, I don't require a capture rest for hunting. Since 1999, for hunting, I have used only the Bodoodle Bullet (black), Bodoodle Conquest (camo), and NAP QuikTune 3000.

For 3D and target shooting I could probably list about 50 prong style and drop rests. All worked very well when set up correctly. As right now, I have a QuikTune 3000 on my hunting bow and old 3D bow, a Doodle Drop on my ProElite, a Trap Door on my Pearson TX4 and a Limb Driver on my Shadowcat. Okay, I get along with them just fine, but I do have to pay attention.
However, like bfisher said, there are draw backs/trade offs. So it's a matter of just how well you like whatever rest. So you get use to the trade off and sooner or later you think you have the best rest in the world.

Arrow Splitter
05-21-2011, 03:10 PM
In fact, I don't know of a capture rest that I do like.

Ever try the Bodoodle Zapper 300 or the Zapper 400?

A.S

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-21-2011, 03:13 PM
WB's are okay, I had one for sometime, and wore the center out. The problem I found is the tend to be noisy with some arrows. Not all but just happens Carbon express my favorite. You also should set the center whiskers after shooting for better accuracy.
I use a Bodoodle zapper 300, it uses 3 stainless steel prongs.
This is the one I use.
This is a high performance one

Hutch:cool:

SonnyThomas
05-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Ever try the Bodoodle Zapper 300 or the Zapper 400?

A.S

Yep. Set up a few. I work at a archery shop. You should see some of the arrow rests I've seen and worked with. By all accounts I should have a drinking problem....

Destroyer
05-21-2011, 03:36 PM
I feel the 4" vanes work best for me.

Thinking of going back to 4" vanes, lower profile. Maybe the brush would last a bit longer? :confused:

Noise? What noise.

I was very surprised at that too. Expected more noise.

I just dislike the idea of having to buy a new biscuit every year or so.

Same here but I'm sick of the drop rests too. At least I'll get some hassle free time with the biscuit.

I prefer the NAP Quiktune 360

Considered one but the biscuit is for a bow that simply wasn't tuning. I figured that with more contact with the arrow it might settle it down more and it's working, so far.

I have a friend that has had the same insert for going on 4 years. Considering that a new insert is only $15, I think is small price for an annual "tune up" lol

4 Years! Now that's what I want to hear. Once a year will fine anyway.

In the past I relied on a Star Hunter type for most of my hunting rigs.

Good old rest, simple and does work. Only problem I've had is that we get a lot of wind here and the arrow blows off, that's why the capture rest. Had a problem with the drop rests and wind too, hence the capture rest.

However, like bfisher said, there are draw backs/trade offs.

So true Sonny, that is why I have never tried the biscuit before.

Destroyer
05-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Fletching everybody, high profile, low?

Any style of fletch works. 4",blazers and 3" dura's all have gone through mine.

What fletching are you using atm? cjchasman is using 4" and that's what I was thinking of using.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-21-2011, 03:48 PM
I used 4" vanes and 2" blazers. They were tough on vanes.

Hutch:cool:

bigredhunter00
05-21-2011, 05:10 PM
just dont try and shoot fobs!

Simple Life
05-22-2011, 04:31 AM
Have it on 2 bows,and nothing bad to say about it,all personal preference.I going on 2 yrs with one,alot of shooting through it,Blazers and Dura vanes,still same insert and no fletching problems.Nice and simple.:)

wscywabbit
05-22-2011, 07:37 AM
yep I've used 2" blazers and duravanes with no problems

Arrow Splitter
05-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Yep. Set up a few. I work at a archery shop. You should see some of the arrow rests I've seen and worked with. By all accounts I should have a drinking problem....
So now the question is, how did you like it? I like mine, but I know it comes down to personal preference.:) I don't like the NAP 360, only because the piece that the arrow rests on would always wear off on one side, and mess up my accuracy.

A.S

bfisher
05-22-2011, 03:51 PM
just dont try and shoot fobs!

I can agree with this part. LOL

Destroyer, you could try something like Duravane LP 400 vanes. These are low profile and ffrom my observations they are very consistent in weight at about 6.5 gr each. It's one of the few vanes I've used in recent years on hunting arrows. Otherwise I'm a "feathers" guy.

Don't know if you guys are aware of this, but it has been passed around on many forums. If you use regular vanes, those that are softer, and they start showing signs of wrinkling then using a hair dryer will help straighten them out. Another thing. The better your bow is tuned and the straighter the arrow passes through the whiskers the less wear on the whiskers and vanes you'll see.

Destroyer
05-22-2011, 05:59 PM
could try something like Duravane LP 400 vanes. These are low profile and from my observations they are very consistent in weight at about 6.5 gr each.

Will do. Nothing beats feathers for control. ;)

If you use regular vanes, those that are softer, and they start showing signs of wrinkling then using a hair dryer will help straighten them out

Heard of it but never tried.

Arrow Splitter
05-23-2011, 04:37 AM
I've used the hairdryer(well, I didn't exactly use a hairdryer) trick and it works well on any vane.:cool::cool::cool:

RLW
05-23-2011, 06:03 AM
I personally do not like the idea of firing my vanes thru a bunch of bristles, but I know a couple of guys that think the whisker biscuit works well.

One of the guys talked very highly of it, stating it was easy to tune, simple and gets the job done. Uses shoots with Blazer vanes.........BUT.....he also has a RipCord Code Red on his bow now, and thinks the drop away are slightly more accurate.

The other guys started with and is still using a Whisker Biscuit. From what I see he shoots well with it most the time, but one wet 3D shoot he seemed to be having some weird arrow flight based on some indoor practice we had done just hours before.
He was shooting Blazer vanes, and currently using Flex-Fletch FFP360 vanes in a heavy helical. Both seem to shoot fine........most of the time.

There is one problem area the biscuit may have an advantage over a drop away that I experience on that same wet shoot......I shot at a couple targets and completely missed them. I was really confused (& pissed) until I pulled up on the next and noticed my arrow was still laying on the shelf at full draw. I don't know if I caught it on brush or is it slipped from being wet, or both, but my rest cord had slipped up so launcher wouldn't rise.
Quickly slid the cord back in place (& kept watching for the duration) and shots went right back on target.
That can't happen with the whisker biscuit.

Destroyer
05-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Otherwise I'm a "feathers" guy.

Should have asked before but for target, what brand, style and length bfisher?

I've used the hairdryer(well, I didn't exactly use a hairdryer) trick and it works well on any vane.:cool::cool::cool:

Paint stripper?

I don't know if I caught it on brush or is it slipped from being wet, or both, but my rest cord had slipped up so launcher wouldn't rise.

Too much to go wrong. One of my problems was I increased the tension to get it to drop faster and it started to lock up. :eek:

I like the idea of drop rests but just sick to death of stuffing around, I'll stick to the biscuit for now and use a cheap blade on my target rig.

bfisher
05-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Should have asked before but for target, what brand, style and length bfisher?

Paint stripper?

Too much to go wrong. One of my problems was I increased the tension to get it to drop faster and it started to lock up. :eek:

I like the idea of drop rests but just sick to death of stuffing around, I'll stick to the biscuit for now and use a cheap blade on my target rig.

Usually 2" True Flight or Gateway for target. For indoor and hunting in past years it was always 4" True Flight or Gateway, whichever brand I get the best deal on.

What do you mean "Paint stripper"? The heat from a hairdryer help rejuvenate wrinkled vanes.

As for drop away rests? I do still have a few. Ones an el-cheapo GWS that was given to me by a sales rep. Another is an older GKF Infiniti, which is smooth as butter (good quality). The third, and my favorite of all the ones I've used is an older Trapdoor (no stupid cord to connect). That one I still use once in a while.

Destroyer
05-23-2011, 06:30 PM
What do you mean "Paint stripper"?

Heat gun thingy for stripping paint.

Arrow Splitter
05-24-2011, 04:41 AM
Heat gun thingy for stripping paint.
Yeah, something like that. Let's just say you wouldn't want to dry your hair with it, because you probably would have crispy hair when you're done.:eek::eek:

bfisher
05-24-2011, 05:33 AM
Yeah, something like that. Let's just say you wouldn't want to dry your hair with it, because you probably would have crispy hair when you're done.:eek::eek:

It'd work for me. No hair to get crispy.

Destroyer
05-24-2011, 05:40 PM
It'd work for me. No hair to get crispy.

What happened to the three?

bfisher
05-25-2011, 08:22 AM
He was probably making some smart remark about my hair loss and then thought better of it. You know. Not wanting to get banned or something. Just proves he's a big chicken at heart. LOL.

Bowhunter_IL_BT
05-25-2011, 02:48 PM
I know lot of people who use the whisker and love it. As far as containment it works well.The rest overall is good price. I know you mentioned your steering away from drop away rests. I think drop aways need to be tuned properly to work to its effectivness.

Im my personal opinion you can't go wrong with the QAD ULtra Rest HD. You spend a few extra bucks, but you get containment with total fletching clearence. Whats nice is you can draw on a deer and if you let up on the string the rest will not drop. The LDT on the rest allows the rest once it drops to stay down and not pop back up. I have had mine for 3 years and its amazing.

All QAD Rests are put in a fridge and test shot at -30 degrees before sent out. I checked with the company and they mentioned that. I shot mine in cold weather last year with no troubles. ;)

Destroyer
05-25-2011, 03:18 PM
I think drop aways need to be tuned properly to work to its effectiveness.

Sure do. The problem is some of them don't tune easy enough, not easy enough for me that is. Some simply don't fall fast enough to get out of the way, others have locked up. Some never tuned. Getting rid of the cord seems to be a bit of a relief for some reason too.

But who knows. Next bow might have one back on but for now.......... ;)

Never tried a quad though.

dragonsfire311
05-26-2011, 05:18 PM
shot one for 10years never had a problem with it, good hunting rest, however i did just change to a ultra rest by QAD for a change, that said as i stated above never had a problem with the biscuit.

Destroyer
05-26-2011, 07:13 PM
shot one for 10years never had a problem with it, good hunting rest, however i did just change to a ultra rest by QAD for a change, that said as i stated above never had a problem with the biscuit.

How many replacements did you go through in 10 years?

I get the 'change' bit too. I don't think I could last 10 years with same setup. ;)

Bowhunter_IL_BT
05-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Sure do. The problem is some of them don't tune easy enough, not easy enough for me that is. Some simply don't fall fast enough to get out of the way, others have locked up. Some never tuned. Getting rid of the cord seems to be a bit of a relief for some reason too.

The QAD Ultra rest is easy to tune. There are clamp parts the string attaches to the cable string. I found people that recommended not even using the clamps and simply just tieing and fastening the cord to the cable string. Then use your lighter to clamp it to the cable. The reason its easier to tune is that you can see on lines match when the cable pulls on the cord or as you draw bow. The lines on the handle have to match to get the rest to be at that 90 degree postion. Check out Quality Archery Designs website and they can show you.

Rockyhud
05-27-2011, 10:11 AM
My first bow (old PSE Polaris) could not accept any "modern" rest such as a drop-away so I chose a WB. It worked well enough but the one thing that annoyed me was the waviness it caused along the top edge of all vanes. I don't have a chronograph so I don't know if that caused any speed loss or not but I'd think it would based on there being more disruption of air flow (i.e., drag) due to it. I too found info online saying this waviness could be remedied by blowing warm air from a hair dryer/blower on the vanes. It worked - but only very temporarily. After a few more runs through the WB the waviness was back. This was when I used 4" Duravanes with a slight straight-line offset to the right. I never tried helical vanes so I don't know if they would fare differently or not. Now that I have my Firecat and use a Limb Driver rest I don't have to be concerned about any of that - I can shoot any fletch.

Will do. Nothing beats feathers for control. ;)

Heard of it but never tried.

SonnyThomas
05-27-2011, 02:55 PM

Sort of wondering what's going on. Tuning a drop rest is just like tuning a shoot through prong rest, such as a NAP QuikTune 3000. Move left or right for horizontal center shot, move up and or down for height. Next, the draw cord. The Limb Driver and the like are pretty simple. Pull cord until rest is all the way down and tighten screw. Those that are attached to the down cable are basically all the same - adjust cord so that rest is all the way up anywhere from 1" to 2" before reaching full draw. Bows cranking 320 fps and faster can't fire a arrow fast enough to hit the launch arm before it drops - not if all is set correctly and the drop rest working properly. If the rest is slow, some have a adjustment to speed things up. If too slow then you adjust for it fall sooner, rest all the way up 1" before full draw. Setting the draw cord may test some, but the WB drives me insane when trying to adjust - loosed the clamp to move the rest horizonitally and the biscuit tilts. Tighten the clamp and the center shot moves. It's to the point I have a small cresent wrench, 3 pound sledge hammer and a pair of vice grips to set the WB - Of course it depends on what model. What, 4 times they have changed the Whisker Biscuit design? Evidently someone is having problems other than me.

There have been two drops rest that I have played with that I wouldn't suggest.

Destroyer
05-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Bows cranking 320 fps and faster can't fire a arrow fast enough to hit the launch arm before it drops

There are some that don't get out of the way of an arrow going 270fps. Problem with cranking up the tension is they can lock up. One poorly designed rest I own stops half way through its travel with more tension on it otherwise it gets clipped. Another problem is that some have no adjustment at all like the TT Shakey I had.

Honestly, some of the rests just are not made well enough. Very sloppy tolerances, no bearings and they still charge a heap for them.

Of course it depends on what model.

The old design would. My sure shot pro has micro adjustment. Very easy, very nice.

It's to the point I have a small cresent wrench, 3 pound sledge hammer and a pair of vice grips to set the WB

LOL! ;)

dragonsfire311
05-27-2011, 09:21 PM
still on original biscuit, still in good shape and still shot fine. only shot bow for practice and during hunting season, course I shoot more now because my youngest daughter now shoots archery also and has a quick shot biscuit on her bow.

NuttyNative
05-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Too lazy to read the entire thread. The Octane Hostage Pro would also be on the same lines as the whisker biscut. Full containment without the vane damage.

Destroyer
05-27-2011, 11:25 PM
still on original biscuit, still in good shape and still shot fine. only shot bow for practice and during hunting season

Cant beat that!

Too lazy to read the entire thread.

;)

Simple Life
05-28-2011, 01:02 AM
The old design would. My sure shot pro has micro adjustment. Very easy, very nice.

Finally they brought one with elevation adjustments ,wondering when they would make a model with that.

Destroyer
05-28-2011, 03:00 AM
Its pretty good. The only thing I wasn't happy with is that you use a allen key to turn the micro, no thumb screws, but after using its not a bad idea and works well.

Dirt Dart
05-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Well...I shot a Golden Key Futura TM Hunter from about 1985 to 2001. Had a Biscuit on ever since. All Martin/CAP type with Martin Lock Mount.

I've always trimmed areas to allow the feathers to pass more easily through the rest. Get pretty good life out of my feathers that way.

The local "Pro's" always berate them but I don't mind...I don't shoot foam...just whitetail.

Destroyer
05-30-2011, 02:59 PM
The local "Pro's" always berate them but I don't mind...I don't shoot foam...just whitetail.

Good point. I wonder why its taken me this long to try one for hunting? :confused:

wick
05-30-2011, 06:26 PM
with the biscuit do you guys still tune nock high. I guess about 1/8, with my hostage I'm about a 32nd to a 16th high, not much. just a small amount.

Destroyer
05-30-2011, 07:26 PM
with the biscuit do you guys still tune nock high.

Deliberately tune nock high or do you mean get nock high?

wick
05-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Set you're nock piont 1/8 inch higher than youre rest.

wscywabbit
05-30-2011, 07:39 PM
single cam bows tend to tune with the nock point slightly high. I'm using a biscuit on my Onza, and I'm almost directly level from the berger holes to the rest to the nock.

Destroyer
05-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Set you're nock point 1/8 inch higher than youre rest.

I set the nocking point so the arrow is square to the string. That end's up being 1/4" above the rest with my GT's. Then tune and it ends up wherever it needs to be, if that makes any sense.

Skbengal
05-31-2011, 05:34 AM
Good point. I wonder why its taken me this long to try one for hunting? :confused:
Once you get rigged up with a few hunts under your belt you'll have to let us know what you think of the WB.As I said I'm already a happy biscuit user,but it would be nice to hear if you're happy with the switch.Happy shooting down under!

Destroyer
05-31-2011, 03:30 PM
Once you get rigged up with a few hunts under your belt you'll have to let us know what you think of the WB.As I said I'm already a happy biscuit user,but it would be nice to hear if you're happy with the switch.Happy shooting down under!

Thanks mate and will do! :D