PDA

View Full Version : dual cam conversion theory

HawgEnvy
05-22-2011, 08:59 AM
I was askin around on AT for some ideas for the Cheetah. One guy said that when he converted his to dual cam, he just ordered a left hand cam(for top limb) and had strings/cables built. Is this possible?

bbjavelina
05-22-2011, 10:46 AM
but, I bet they're a lot smarter than me. Figuring out what draw weight and length you'd have has to be a crap shoot. And where to start on string and cable lengths?

I've got a Pantera (08 or 09?) with the M Pro single cam I'd love to put some Nenesis type cams on. But after replacing cams and possibly limbs and buuilding several sets of rigging looking for who knows what ATA and brace dimensions, I doubt it's worth it to me. Maybe after retirement.

Best of luck to you.

archerx7
05-22-2011, 01:02 PM
In theory it should work because the single cam has a string track, take up (mod) track and a payout track much the same as a slaved dual cam system. The problem is the pay out track is considerably larger than that on a slaved dual cam so getting the cable lengths correct would be a bit of a challenge in order to keep a reasonable draw length range as well as the draw weight range.

The other option would be going the traditional yoked 2 cam route and not using the payout track at all. But again, getting the string and cable lengths would still be a challenge and in the end you will still have a cam setup designed for a 320 IBO range, I don't think you would gain anything going this route. If your looking to gain some speed, probably best to go with a dual cam system that was designed as a dual cam system.

Arrow Splitter
05-22-2011, 01:24 PM
I've got a Pantera (08 or 09?)
Check the first two digits of your bow # on your limb sticker.:)

A.S

cyclepath
05-22-2011, 02:40 PM
I would say rather than trying to frankenstein your bow you consider selling it and getting a dual cam bow. If you can find a dual cam and limb setup that will work with your riser and give you a proper shooting bow go for it, but I don't think it would be worth the cost. I'm sure you could find what bow you want for a good price on AT.

Destroyer
05-22-2011, 02:46 PM
And where to start on string and cable lengths?

Pretty easy, really. The easiest is to press the bow until you have the correct brace height then simply measure with a piece of string around the cams. Doesn't give you exact length but close enough with modern strings, then just twist until good.

If you don't have a press you can do a similar thing and tape the cams to the outside of the limb with the bow still together and measure the same way.

:)

bbjavelina
05-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Check the first two digits of your bow # on your limb sticker.:)

A.S

Thanks for the thought, but, the problems is --- it's on its third set of limbs. Alas, no sticker. Poor planning on my part.

Anyway, I seem to remember it being an '07. Originally had MPro cam which I changed to MPro 2 somewhere along the way and who even knows on which set of limbs.

bbjavelina
05-23-2011, 12:21 PM
I would say rather than trying to frankenstein your bow you consider selling it and getting a dual cam bow. If you can find a dual cam and limb setup that will work with your riser and give you a proper shooting bow go for it, but I don't think it would be worth the cost. I'm sure you could find what bow you want for a good price on AT.

Kinda between a rock and a haard place there. I've wiggled myself into a corner whereby if I get rid of it I probably have to give it to my nephew. Loaned it to him for one durn day and he went and killed a bear with it. Then he got me into strong drink and coerced some foolish statements out of me. He's a good deal smarter than me in several ways!

HawgEnvy
05-23-2011, 01:26 PM
nah,i can't get rid of the Cheetah. It shoots to nice for me. My nephew and his dad tried talking me out of it on Mothers Day at the family cookout. I let my nephew shoot it cuz his bow was at the shop. He shot it very well. Better than he did his own. He offered to trade his Fred Bear Code for it. When I said no, his dad(my younger brother)offered up his Jenning Rackmaster along with the fred bear. I keep thinking I shouldve done it,but...just couldn't. Ya know?

I just want it to be dual cam n can't get the idea outta my head. I had the same problem when I was building my trucks. I can't give it up once I have the notion to do it.

Arrow Splitter
05-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the thought, but, the problems is --- it's on its third set of limbs. Alas, no sticker. Poor planning on my part.

Anyway, I seem to remember it being an '07. Originally had MPro cam which I changed to MPro 2 somewhere along the way and who even knows on which set of limbs.
OK, did the original M-Pro cam have a draw stop? If it did, then you have a 2008, if it didn't, then you have a 2007.

A.S

bbjavelina
05-23-2011, 02:49 PM
OK, did the original M-Pro cam have a draw stop? If it did, then you have a 2008, if it didn't, then you have a 2007.

A.S

That's the reason I swapped the cam. Thanks for clearing that up. Now, if I can just remember it.