PDA

View Full Version : sights

gravedigger
05-22-2011, 04:40 PM
im kind of flabergasted.my buddy and i have the same 4 pin sight,same brand,same sight.my bow shoots faster then his and his pins are closer together then mine,and his vertical is up more then mine.wehave the same set up.28.5 draw,same whiskers,same cam.hes has a 2011 ekile and i have the 2010 bengal.his arrows are around 20g heavy then mine.his arrows are a inch longer then mine.we shoot the same tips.eveb yse the same release.he could fit one more pin in his sigh and i am as low as i can go on my sightpin and vertical.yall got any insight.

Arrow Splitter
05-22-2011, 05:17 PM
I'd say that his peep sight is higher than yours. The higher the peep, the higher the arrow hits.

A.S

bfisher
05-22-2011, 05:21 PM
If your sight is located lower on the bow then it would be obvious to me that your anchor is higher than his. Lowering your anchor and raising the peep would change this for your bow. It would also, maybe, allow you to add that extra pin.

As for pin spacing? That's generally a factor determined by the bow's speed so his is probably faster than yours---for whatever reason. OOps, I didn't read it all.

Destroyer
05-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Yep, anchor/peep makes a big difference.

my bow shoots faster then his

Same chrono? What is a the arrow weights in grains?

SonnyThomas
05-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Tiny differences in each set up can do some weird things. And then each person sees things just a little different.

gravedigger
05-23-2011, 07:56 AM
Yep, anchor/peep makes a big difference.

Same chrono? What is a the arrow weights in grains?

yep we both crono at dicks sporting goods.i cant remember his fps but i know mine was a bit faster.i do like ware my peep sits,maybe i will mess with it a bit or just get a 5 pin sight.i like the sight MBH gave away.im not exact on his arrow weight but i think its 20 or 25g heavy then mine

Arrow Splitter
05-23-2011, 08:09 AM
yep we both crono at dicks sporting goods.i cant remember his fps but i know mine was a bit faster.i do like ware my peep sits,maybe i will mess with it a bit or just get a 5 pin sight.i like the sight MBH gave away.im not exact on his arrow weight but i think its 20 or 25g heavy then mine
To set the peep, close your eyes, draw the bow back and come to an anchored position. Have someone move the peep until you can see through it, and have someone make sure that the arrow and bow are level at full draw. After that, the peep should be anywhere from 5-7"(mine is 6 1/2") from the center of the nocking point.

A.S

bfisher
05-23-2011, 11:50 AM
I'll try to put peep height into some perspective although it does differ depending a2a, draw length, etc. On my Alien Z my peep is about 5 1/2" (about) and with an HHA slider I can easily reach 80 yards and maybe 90 yards although I haven't shot it that far yet. Let's just say I got 80 yards and some room left over. The bow shoots just about 275 fps so it's not a speed demon at my draw length.

Destroyer
05-23-2011, 06:08 PM
i am as low as i can go on my sightpin and vertical

Any chance of a photo of your rig?

gravedigger
05-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Any chance of a photo of your rig?

just as soon as i find my camera.my daughter did something with it again.i have some older pics but i dont think there is much detail in it.

gravedigger
05-23-2011, 06:39 PM
im at 5 3/4 from center knock too peep.here are a few pics.camera died so could not take any more pics tonight
[http://images.imagelinky.com/1306206109.JPG (http://images.imagelinky.com/1306206109.JPG)http://images.imagelinky.com/1306206207.JPG (http://images.imagelinky.com/1306206207.JPG)http://images.imagelinky.com/1306206240.JPG (http://images.imagelinky.com/1306206240.JPG)http://images.imagelinky.com/1306206271.JPG (http://images.imagelinky.com/1306206271.JPG)

Skbengal
05-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Have you checked your nock point?Looks like it might be a bit high.

Arrow Splitter
05-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Have you checked your nock point?Looks like it might be a bit high.

X2
I have to agree. There is something not set up quite right. When the bow isn't drawn, and an arrow is nocked, is the arrow level? If it isn't, the Skbengal is right on.
At this point your peep isn't the main problem. For the sight and pins to be that low, there has to be another issue, but your peep still may need to go a little higher.

gravedigger
05-24-2011, 10:10 AM
as soon as i get home i will put a level on it and see.

Destroyer
05-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Had they same issue with my 2007 Pantera. Had to move my anchor point down to a better level, I had my hand right under my ear. Now my anchor has the cup of my hand in the corner of my jaw.

My Copper John DN3 on 2007 Pantera.

gravedigger
05-24-2011, 06:06 PM
i forgot my level at work,but how can i take the brass knock out in a safe maner.and how low should i move my knock to start with.i just dont want to drop in an inch and really needed to move it a 1/40

Destroyer
05-24-2011, 06:32 PM
I wouldn't touch your nocking point. Do you own a bow square? Can't tell if its high from those photo's.

gravedigger
05-25-2011, 06:40 AM
i dont have a bow square.i just got this bow(my first one last year late in the year

bfisher
05-25-2011, 08:11 AM
I wouldn't touch your nocking point. Do you own a bow square? Can't tell if its high from those photo's.

Thankyou, I don't know how anybody can tell whether the nocking point is high or low from those photos. I just didn't want to step on any toes. For one thing you'd have to have an arrow nocked and then take picture from the side to see what kind of angle the arrow is sitting on the bow. And you don't need a level or bow square although the bowsquare would be nice. You can nock and arrow and looking from the side eyeball it for an approximate 90 degrees.

As Destroyer said, don't move the nocking point. Assuming the bow is tuned half decent this isn't the route to follow. Just for the heck of it measure the height of the peep from the inner side of the top loop knot and tell us what it is. I'm still betting that lowering your anchor and raising the peep is what you have to do.

cjchasman
05-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Hey guys ...correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like in the pics that your string loop is to the wrong side of the nock. Nock point should be on top of arrow nock (factory set up?)...I think??? I think the loop needs to be slid downward for starters. Time for an EDIT... Well now that I have looked around on the web I see them both ways...Guess it depends on rest set up, choice, etc.

HawgEnvy
05-25-2011, 09:30 AM
as far as setting the rest to 90* w/o a bowsquare, I just hold my drivers license up to the string and set it that way. It's not failed me yet.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Till you lose your license! Ha! Just kidding Hawg.

Hutch:cool:

Destroyer
05-25-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm still betting that lowering your anchor and raising the peep is what you have to do.

My bet too. I think your draw length might be too long, causing the high anchor.

Guess it depends on rest set up, choice, etc.

Yep. By adjusting your nocking point position (more above/below) you can change the forces on the arrow and effect the tuning.

gravedigger
05-25-2011, 05:40 PM
dl is good.im 28.5 and im 6ft tall.my ancor point is cuping my jaw.thumb and index finger is cuping my jaw.peep is good.i draw bow back with my eyes closed and then open them at full draw and i can see perfect.im just flabergasted.maybe i need to turn my bow back up to 73lbs and get back to ware i was.still.its weird.when i dont have a few beers in me i will check it out more,

wscywabbit
05-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Idk man, have you guys ran your setup side by side through the same chrono? Maybe his is running faster. It would explain why his pins are closer together. As for the sight picture, if yours is right on (for you), maybe his peep is actually a little higher giving him a higher poi. Everyone's facial structure and matrix is different.

Destroyer
05-26-2011, 02:27 PM
im just flabergasted

Having some photo's of you at full draw from the side and from behind might help. You might just have to raise the peep and see what happens.

dragonsfire311
05-26-2011, 05:15 PM
I had same problem when i changed sights on my bow. lowered my anchor point and raised my peep up and it solved the issued of my sight being bottomed out.