PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Grip?

BearMartinFan
05-23-2011, 11:35 PM
So I just bought a Firecat 360 and I love it, but the Saddleback Thermal Grip aka piece of stick on leather strip isn't doing it for me. It just doesn't feel that comfortable. Are there any aftermarket grips available? If so can someone point me in the right direction.

bfisher
05-24-2011, 05:41 AM
I ran into this about a week ago and it seems that Loesh makes a grip or made one for a member. Can't remember whether it was a member here or on AT. The old memory is like a sieve.

Anyway, it was quite an attractive grip and he actually sent his bow to Loesh so they could custom make it so maybe they have a pattern for it now. They aren't cheap at nearly $100. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. I have a Nemisis with the saddleback grip and no leather. I shoot it right off the bare riser. I find this better than some piece of cheap rubber.

wscywabbit
05-24-2011, 06:06 AM
it doesnt' seem like there's too many aftermarket grip companies that make martin grips. Loesh is one of the few that does, their website is www.bowgrips.com. Doesn't look like they are making 2011 grips yet but I'm sure they're coming!

HawgEnvy
05-24-2011, 07:49 AM
if you have the correct tools, they'd be easy to make yourself. Or if you know someone that does woodwork. In referance to the wood side plates,that is. Idk about one piece grips. Use the rubber grip as a template. A trip to your local Lowes or Home Depot should net you a the wood you need. I'm making that trip this weekend,myself. I think a piece of wood trim will work. Like I said,im looking into making my own sideplates. I have decided whether or not I'll use wood grips or rubber,for sure,but can let you know how it turns out.

BearMartinFan
05-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Is this the post being referred to http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?8575-Lets-see-what-ya-got-guys-post-some-pics!/page19&highlight=Loesch+Grip That Loesch grip is nice but $95 is pushing it and just not in my budget. Anyone have experience with the Limbsaver Tentacle Bow Wrap?

bfisher
05-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Is this the post being referred to http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?8575-Lets-see-what-ya-got-guys-post-some-pics!/page19&highlight=Loesch+Grip That Loesch grip is nice but $95 is pushing it and just not in my budget. Anyone have experience with the Limbsaver Tentacle Bow Wrap?

Yeah, that the one. I guess you could wrap it with the Limbsaver wrap or even that used on tennis rackets. I'm just not a rubber kind of guy when it comes to grips. I like the bow hand to slide into the grip area and rubber, to me, can hinder this producing torque, the bane of many archers.

HawgEnvy
05-24-2011, 09:33 AM
unless you like a bulky grip,stay away from the LS wrap. You could just eliminate the leather stick on piece and shoot staight off the riser,leaving the rubber sideplates on the bow. Or there's the Thermal Elite grips. Wood sideplates with the leather piece,but again,cut the leather and just use the sideplates.

BearMartinFan
05-24-2011, 10:08 AM
I would really like a wood grip like the Loesch, but I guess that will have to wait. I'm not a big fan of rubber grips either but something to give it a better feel would be nice. Let me know how that grip your working on turns out Hawg and thanks for the invite to the forum.

Simple Life
05-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Welcome to the forum BearMartinfan,looks like we got something in common;)

SL

BearMartinFan
05-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Welcome to the forum BearMartinfan,looks like we got something in common;)

SL

Thanks! :D Well nothing wrong with loving the underdogs. Some of us have to spread the love.

Simple Life
05-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks! :D Well nothing wrong with loving the underdogs. Some of us have to spread the love.

LOL so true..

SL

BearMartinFan
06-02-2011, 11:03 PM
So FYI for anyone interested. The Limbsaver Tentacle Bow Wrap works great. I understand some people don't like rubber grips but it really made shooting much more comfortable. I doubled the wrap on the top part which was bothering my hand so the wrap is just barely above the bottom half of the grip. I can post pictures if anyone is interested. Highly recommend for anyone that doesn't like the factory stick on leather or shooting bare riser. Still hoping for a wood grip but this works for now.

rjd
06-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Here is the link to a thread with step by step to making your own wood grips.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1410178&highlight=making+grips

Thinking of trying it on the Slayer of mine.

Good Luck.

HawgEnvy
06-06-2011, 03:48 AM
thanks for the link. Think I'm gonna try that.

Spiker
06-06-2011, 05:34 AM
http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2957&d=1307356327