PDA

View Full Version : Close range target choice

Broken Arrow
05-25-2011, 12:45 PM
I'm looking for the best target for short range practice in my basement (10 - 15 yds)...no broad heads, just want to keep in shape. Price is always an issue, but I don't want to have to replace it every few months. 2007 Bengal, 62#'s, 29" DL, ICS Carbon Arrows @ 27", 100 grn pts. I'm close to Cabela's as well as all major big box stores.

gravedigger
05-25-2011, 12:49 PM
no need to go drop a bunch of money on a store bought target.i made 4( differnt size targets)targets out of boxes.find the size of box you want and then fill it with broke down boxes hight wise.stops my arrows great.all i did was go to grocery stores and wal-mart and asked for any junk cardboard,they hooked me up.i have enough to make 60 or 7 more targets.about 2' or 3' some biger and some smaller

Broken Arrow
05-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks from a fellow Northwesterner...couple of questions though, do you smash down the filler cardboard to take out the space between layers, do you weight it down or strap it tight from the outside and can you shoot from any side of the box.

Arrow Splitter
05-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Another idea:http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1387038
I'm Deer Predator over there.

A.S

HawgEnvy
05-25-2011, 01:38 PM
I did something similar to shoot at work on lunch break. Pick a box,find any scrap cardboard you can, cut the scrap to fit snug in the box and just keep stomping it down. I took a couple slats off pallets for the side and then used steel banding to really snug it up. It works great. It's like any layered foam(the Block)target but with cardboard.

I've heard of people using chicken wire to wrap around wood frames and using old clothing packed in. I'm not opposed to that idea,but I'm wondering if the chicken wire damages the arrows. Does anyone know?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Hawg, no the chicken wire does not hurt the arrows. Lifetime targets have been around for years. They have been using chicken wire for a long time. And the people that use them say they have never had any problems.

Hutch:cool:

gravedigger
05-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks from a fellow Northwesterner...couple of questions though, do you smash down the filler cardboard to take out the space between layers, do you weight it down or strap it tight from the outside and can you shoot from any side of the box.

i dont lay card board down flat in the box.i put it in upright layers and cut it to make it a snug fit.stack it from front to back not top to bottom.that way i make sur my arrow wont slip through the cracks.i have only shot them front and back not sht sides.and nope i dont weigh it down,i just toss it in the yard and shoot it up.i never had a pass through.and i allso take a few of them up to the woods,toss them in some good place,like ware an animal might be and practice that way.its allmost free,well besides your time and you get to same ya made it your self insted of spendein 40=dolars on a store bought one.i will post some pics when i get off work.and its nice to see another person from the northwest on here...........what state do ya live in.

HawgEnvy
05-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Hawg, no the chicken wire does not hurt the arrows. Lifetime targets have been around for years. They have been using chicken wire for a long time. And the people that use them say they have never had any problems.

in that case,i got me a BIG azz target to build. Just need the chicken wire. I kept the mat from a 14ft trampoline that got bent up in a wind storm. I can see now that I'll have to use the JD mower to move it around the yard. AWESOME!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Hawg, here ya go! make it as big as you want.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1425598&highlight=lifetime+targets

Destroyer
05-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Well done on the arrow saw too A.S. How do you handle the carbon dust?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-25-2011, 04:05 PM
We can run a shop vac, or wear a mask.

HawgEnvy
05-25-2011, 04:34 PM
nice project there. I'm thinking 5'x5',2' deep will work.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-25-2011, 04:40 PM
nice project there. I'm thinking 5'x5',2' deep will work.
5'X5' will work but the depth only needs to be 10 to 18". Most of our big targets are at 18" deep. At point blank the arrow only goes 6 to 8".

HawgEnvy
05-25-2011, 05:16 PM
5'X5' will work but the depth only needs to be 10 to 18". Most of our big targets are at 18" deep. At point blank the arrow only goes 6 to 8".

sounds like y'all need to shoot an Athens! Lol!

Money Man
05-25-2011, 07:49 PM
I made a target out of a cardboard box filled with old clothes. Just remember to cut the zippers and rivets and buttons off. Push it down, tape it shut and shoot. If the box get too shot up, put the clothes into a new box and start again. Size of the box doesn't matter.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-26-2011, 01:05 AM
sounds like y'all need to shoot an Athens! Lol!
Nope then I would only need to make the target 6 inches deep!:p:pLOL

Arrow Splitter
05-26-2011, 04:41 AM
Nope then I would only need to make the target 6 inches deep!:p:pLOL

I'm thinking more along the lines of 3-4" deep.LOL:D

HawgEnvy
05-26-2011, 04:53 AM
good come-backs, fellas! Lol

Broken Arrow
05-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks for all the ideas...found lots more and am going with the stacked cardboard. Found a reliable source at the main UPS terminal so I should have material for life.