PDA

View Full Version : TRG, Cable slide? what about performance?

wick
05-27-2011, 06:33 PM
TRG, Is it that bad? Everyone is bad talking the TRG. I understand that there have been a lot of accounts of people ruining their strings because of these things. But with that set aside what actually shoots better? Consistancy with grouping, speed, noise and all that good stuff. As far as i know they designed it to reduce limb torque, and to prevent cam lean. If these were problems that were that bad, then why isn't anyone talking about any of the benifits of the TRG? I for one havn't had any problems with mine and this dang thing shoots better than any bow Iv'e ever owned. Even with the TRG I've become a tru martin believer.
So with the string wear set aside, do you think it improves the performance or not?

Speedykills
05-27-2011, 06:44 PM
I dont think it improves performance,but i think its a bandaid for a few problems that could be worked out with a CCS,sts combo.
Dont get me wrong i like martin bows but im a big fan of ccsts combo and think martin should put its efforts into that than the TRG.
My bow is working flawless with that combo and i dont see why everyone shouldnt,if aint broke dont fix it.And with the ccsts combo i think martin could really develope some speed bows that could blow the competition away,i really hope they do away with the TRG.

wscywabbit
05-27-2011, 07:53 PM
We'll have to ask the guys that got cable slides and rods in the mail to replace the trg to post up an answer to the op. All I can say is that I'm lovin' my new bow, and I've been watching for cable wear with nothing yet... I'm keeping my fingers crossed :cool:

Destroyer
05-27-2011, 11:33 PM
I dont think it improves performance,but i think its a bandaid for a few problems that could be worked out

Agree with that.

As far as i know they designed it to reduce limb torque, and to prevent cam lean. If these were problems that were that bad, then why isn't anyone talking about any of the benifits of the TRG?

They changed the limbs to solids, pretty hard to compare then. You would have to include the aesthetics too as a reason.

I don't like the TRG but that doesn't mean its personal or anything. If someone has had no problems then that is real good. I just hope they go back to cable slide so we have a simpler setup, more choice and easily replaceable parts.

:)

Simple Life
05-28-2011, 12:58 AM
I have had no issues with mine,little more maintenace with string care.All I can say is wait for a couple months and see what next years models come with and then you know if it was good or not.;)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-28-2011, 04:49 AM
TRG'S ARE GREAT FOR THE STRING BUSINESS KEEP SHOOTING THEM!!!!:rolleyes:LOL

I do believe with a little time the Trg will be perfected. That is unless they give up on it. Like any new thing the problems have to be worked out or redesigned.

Hutch:cool:

wick
05-28-2011, 04:42 PM
TRG'S ARE GREAT FOR THE STRING BUSINESS KEEP SHOOTING THEM!!!!:rolleyes:LOL

I do believe with a little time the Trg will be perfected. That is unless they give up on it. Like any new thing the problems have to be worked out or redesigned.

Hutch:cool:
That's funny! but my strings are in great condition, sorry. I hope they don't give up on it and I hope that it doesn't give me problems in the future. I try to shoot at least 2 times a week, and when i'm shooting i shoot a lot. I recieved a cabe slide and new rod from martin for a different issue not related to the string wear issue and elected not to change my set-up. For one, I don't have a spot to thread in a STS on the lower third of my riser. I know the onza 3 has a place for one but my exile don't.

boobowbender
05-29-2011, 02:18 PM
So i had the same problem as MLN with the mods cutting my cable servings, but not as bad and the cam was leaning quite a bit.
My dealer said he would reserve the cables and that could be a problem since martin serving is commonly loose. well after one look he ditched the trg/sos and replaced it with a standard cable slide and added a sts to the back stabilizer tap.
The trg was creating a ton of torque on my cam instead of helping it. he said he was going to talk to martin and tell them what to do with the trg.
Long story short. My bow is soooooo much quieter now and somewhat smoother through the shot. Very impressed with noise levels now, but always wanted a ccs system and now i'm stuck with a standard cable slide again.
Should have waited one more year

Destroyer
05-29-2011, 03:32 PM
said he was going to talk to martin and tell them what to do with the trg.

........ :d

boobowbender
05-29-2011, 03:39 PM
........ :d

i think he meant to stop using them

Destroyer
05-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Lol! Yeah got that. Got the smiley code wrong. :D

wick
05-29-2011, 04:50 PM
The trg was creating a ton of torque on my cam instead of helping it.

That's interesting. I guess also the increase and decrease of side pressure on the cam's throughout the draw cycle could wear on them over time.

Very impressed with noise levels now, but always wanted a ccs system and now i'm stuck with a standard cable slide again.
Should have waited one more year[/QUOTE]

I really like the CCS system too, wish they could figure out a way to get one on the 2011's

Destroyer
05-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Didn't mind the ccs, the only worry for me was the extra stress on the older limbs. If the 2011 solids are good that might not be such a problem anymore.

gibson 787
05-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Probably should keep my big mouth shut on this one, but IMHO whether you have a TRG, cable slide or CCS, the performance of your bow will be more influenced by the manner in which it is tuned, including arrow weight/spine and your form, than the above variations of string/cable containment mechanisms.

wick
05-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Probably should keep my big mouth shut on this one, but IMHO whether you have a TRG, cable slide or CCS, the performance of your bow will be more influenced by the manner in which it is tuned, including arrow weight/spine and your form, than the above variations of string/cable containment mechanisms.

That kind of goes back to my original post on this thread. Is there a benefit in performance with the addition of the TRG? My bow shoots great with the TRG. But with martin sending me and other people new rod and slides that makes me reluctant to change anything if i my bow is shooting so well with the current set-up. If I do have to change the TRG out I hope you're right. It won't matter. From what I hear from everyone else, I don't think it will. I just don't want to have to ad a front of riser mounted STS. i don't think they distribute the energy of the string back into the riser efficiently. and they just don't look right.

gibson 787
05-29-2011, 08:47 PM
this dang thing shoots better than any bow Iv'e ever owned. Even with the TRG I've become a tru martin believer.

I can't think of a better reason not to change a thing. I found cable/string wear with a TRG only occurs if there are too few twists in the string/cable. Keeping them well waxed, but not to a point where they are gluggy, also helps.

boobowbender
05-30-2011, 05:55 AM
If your hunters, you should all at least ditch the sos and try an old old school string suppressor. it really toned down shot noise. You can always go back to the factory set-up

shoots martin
05-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Hello; I started a thread a while ago titled "can't take the lies", well I recieved a new TRG, rod, and new cable slide w/ rod. Thought I would post in this thread as some were asking for results. I installed the new rod w/ cable slide on my Onza 3, and finally got to shoot it today. My opinion is the draw is smoother, not as hard to pull back (same pounds I was pulling w/ TRG). It also seems easier to hold at full draw, and seems more accurate without TRG. Only disadvantage I found was the S.O.S installed in the lower slot, is the string is a little louder. I think with the sos being so low the upper part of string vibrates to much. I have cat whiskers installed on string. The pro shop I was at had an Onza 3 ready for Ted Nugget to pick up, I looked it over and noticed the shop removed the TRG!!!!!

Destroyer
05-30-2011, 03:43 PM
you should all at least ditch the sos and try an old old school string suppressor. it really toned down shot noise.

Keep saying it, with the string hitting a inline suppressor it puts more shock into the bow and you can get more noise from accessories. More of a 'mehanical' noise.

My opinion is the draw is smoother, not as hard to pull back (same pounds I was pulling w/ TRG). It also seems easier to hold at full draw

Cable slides are pretty slick, not surprised. Easy to hold? Easier to draw, less overall effort, easier to hold. One reason why target shooters use a lower draw weight.

The pro shop I was at had an Onza 3 ready for Ted Nugget to pick up, I looked it over and noticed the shop removed the TRG!!!!!

Yes........ ;)

shoots martin
05-31-2011, 04:49 AM
Do you think the TRG put that much tension on the string to make the draw harder(not as smooth), and hold at full draw tougher? I do like my bow much better without the TRG.

Destroyer
05-31-2011, 05:13 AM
If the lettoff is the same and unless it changes the draw force curve (or powerstroke) then its a smoothness issue.

Btw, in my last post it should have been "smoother to draw, less overall effort, easier to hold".

:)