PDA

View Full Version : Bengal and Hunting Arrow Size

Stéphane
05-29-2011, 09:55 AM
I was wondering if anyone uses GT hunting arrows. Right now, I'm using Expedition 5575 with my 60lbs limbs, but if I get the 70 limbs, I was thinking of switching to XT 7595. I only have 4 5575 left, so it wouldn't be a big loss.

My arrows are 27" long, but my DL should be around 26". I prefer to have them a bit longer to be on cautious side since I have a drop away and should it fall off while I release, my hand would be cleared.

Thanks in advance

HawgEnvy
05-29-2011, 12:22 PM
if ur buying new arrows, I'd recommend trying Harvest Time Archery's HT-2 vengeance shafts. I've shot them side by side w GT 5575's, Easton Flatline 400's,Blackhawk Vapor 4000's,and carbon express predator shafts. For me,they have better flight and tighter groups w BH's and FP's than the others.

I'm shooting 60#,28.5" DL,26.75" 400 spine HT-2's. Both bows have trophy taker shaky hunter drop away rests. At full draw,the arrows w Broadheads are flush w the front of the riser. All the bows I've had have been set up the same way and I've never had issues or worries about the arrow falling of the rest and hitting my hand

bigredhunter00
05-29-2011, 03:16 PM
i plan on using gt velocity hunters 300 spine. So far they fly true and fast out of my martin bengal.

Destroyer
05-29-2011, 03:51 PM
I was thinking of switching to XT 7595.

Spine should be ok, but there is no way to know for sure unless you shoot them. I would wait to see how the 5575's shoot then make a choice. 7595 XT's are 8.9 grains per inch against 8.2 for the 5575 Expeditions so you might loose a few fps.

gravedigger
05-29-2011, 08:34 PM
i shoot 75-95 gt prohunter. they are great.i shoot a 2010 bengal and am getting 308 fps out of them.

Spiker
05-29-2011, 08:49 PM
5575's will be on the underspined side at 70#. I would look more at the .340 -.350 spine size (7595).
I think for a hunting setup with broadheads - you will find that they group tighter at distances you will be hunting at.
Even with the shorter draw length.
Have you ran the numbers on one of the calculators to see what they say?

Destroyer
05-29-2011, 08:52 PM
The quality of the GT's are superb too, very consistent.

Stéphane
05-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the replies. guys.

First of, I'm looking at buying the GT Xt because I can get 2 dozens for $190 (cut to length, blazer vanes, inserts installed, and shipped to my door) I also know the brand and I know that they are tough.

As for the calculator numbers, if I go with the 5gr/lbs, at 70, I need 350gr. When I weigh the arrows (27") with 100gr field point, they are at 380. However, if I use the calculator, they should be below 350. Getting the 7595 would for sure keep me in the safe zone, but if you all agree that the 5575 are good enough, then I'm sold. I much prefer lighter and I thinking of using 85gr field points too. After building one on their website, the total weight was 344gr.

Where I get confused is when I look at the chart. Because the 70-75 is where I'm looking at. If I look at the 65-70, I'm okay.

http://www.goldtip.com/images/arrow-chart.jpg

Destroyer
05-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Where I get confused is when I look at the chart. Because the 70-75 is where I'm looking at. If I look at the 65-70, I'm okay.

Spine could go either way then. The only way is to shoot and see and if you can wait and shoot your 5575's even better.

Hunting or target?

Btw, I'm using 7595's 30" @ 71.5lbs and they shoot fine.

Stéphane
06-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Spine could go either way then. The only way is to shoot and see and if you can wait and shoot your 5575's even better.

Hunting or target?

Btw, I'm using 7595's 30" @ 71.5lbs and they shoot fine.

If I'm understanding this one correctly, do you mean that the arrows might not go straight if they are to "weak"? So shooting them would tell me if they're ok? My concern was safety.

Destroyer
06-03-2011, 06:13 PM
So shooting them would tell me if they're ok? My concern was safety.

Its the only way to tell. Safety? I could shoot 500's, 400's, 340's, 300's from my bow and not worry about them breaking.

Stéphane
06-04-2011, 06:48 AM
Thanks Destroyer,

So, shooting them, what should I be looking for? By that is, what are the differences I "could" notice between the 2 arrows? Also, should I buy, say 3 - 7595 and compare the grouping with my 5575?

What will be the drawbacks of a stiffer arrow? And reversely, the drawbacks of a less stiff arrow?

Is it better to shoot a 5575 over a 7595 if the bow allows it?

Thanks in advance,

SG

PS: Sorry for the ignoramus questions, but I'm still new.

Destroyer
06-04-2011, 04:56 PM
shooting them, what should I be looking for? By that is, what are the differences I "could" notice between the 2 arrows?

Honestly without paper tuning or bare shaft tuning you won't notice much difference at all unless it is way out. With the 5575's even if the spine is a bit weak you will only notice that the point of impact has shifted to the right. The fletching will do its job and straighten out the shaft but because of the way it launched it will hit slightly right. If you notice no difference then the spine is still fine.

The problem is that even if the spine is ok, getting new limbs will affect how the bow shoots so you might have the poi shifting to the right anyway so the only way to tell is to tune.

What will be the drawbacks of a stiffer arrow? And reversely, the drawbacks of a less stiff arrow?

It depends on the 'degree' of how much it is out. Too stiff and the arrow will tend to go left of point of aim. Way too stiff and you can have collision problems with certain rests and the bow shelf on traditional gear.

Another drawback is that if the spine is way too stiff you will have use a longer arrow to get the correct spine which means more weight, which means a speed drop.

Most will recommend that its better to have a stiffer spine than weak although in my experience, a stiffer spine will be affected more by the quality of your release.

Is it better to shoot a 5575 over a 7595 if the bow allows it?

Two benefits of a 5575, the first is that a 5575 is 19 grains lighter (for same length) which could get you a 5 - 6 fps increase. The second is that you already have some 5575's to try and make sure you have the right spine. It wouldn't be good if you purchased some 7595's only to to have trouble with spine and had to use them at 29" further slowing your speed.

:)

Stéphane
06-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Honestly without paper tuning or bare shaft tuning you won't notice much difference at all unless it is way out. With the 5575's even if the spine is a bit weak you will only notice that the point of impact has shifted to the right. The fletching will do its job and straighten out the shaft but because of the way it launched it will hit slightly right. If you notice no difference then the spine is still fine.

The problem is that even if the spine is ok, getting new limbs will affect how the bow shoots so you might have the poi shifting to the right anyway so the only way to tell is to tune.

It depends on the 'degree' of how much it is out. Too stiff and the arrow will tend to go left of point of aim. Way too stiff and you can have collision problems with certain rests and the bow shelf on traditional gear.

Another drawback is that if the spine is way too stiff you will have use a longer arrow to get the correct spine which means more weight, which means a speed drop.

Most will recommend that its better to have a stiffer spine than weak although in my experience, a stiffer spine will be affected more by the quality of your release.

Two benefits of a 5575, the first is that a 5575 is 19 grains lighter (for same length) which could get you a 5 - 6 fps increase. The second is that you already have some 5575's to try and make sure you have the right spine. It wouldn't be good if you purchased some 7595's only to to have trouble with spine and had to use them at 29" further slowing your speed.

:)

Awesome, Mate! Thank you very much.

SG

Destroyer
06-04-2011, 11:10 PM
No problemo! :)

Will be interesting to see how it all goes.