PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical or fixed broadheads

wick
05-29-2011, 01:26 PM
I've been thinking of switching to a mechanical broadhead this year. All I've ever used is Muzzy's 125gr. 3 blades and wasp cam locks back in the 90's. But lately I've been so saturated by the advertisements on TV for Rage and all the other mechanicals that maybe I'm missing out on something here. I kinda l ike the Swhacker, or I guess the remake of the old Sanoran but all the reviews sound the same for everything that I research.
Any advice on which way to go here? Does anyone use Swhacker or know anyone who does?

Speedykills
05-29-2011, 01:51 PM
I got this hog with a rage 3 blade,i prefer 3 blade over 2 blade myself.Did a number on him blade looks horrible but was it perfect shape.
I now use muzzy mx3 but would not hessitate to use a good brand of mechanical.
This hog was taken a few years ago was very tasty too,,,,:)

Simple Life
05-29-2011, 01:52 PM
I use both Mech(Grim Reapers) and Fixed(G5-Montecs).I use Grim Repears for mechanicals and never had a problem with them and espically like there are not rubber o-rings for blade retention..The Rage I have heard too many stories,they are either great or they are terrible,so I passed on them.Just want to say,I personally have nothing against Rage and I have never shot them,I am going by what I hear on other forums,so if anybody here shoots them,I am not bashing them;)

wscywabbit
05-29-2011, 01:59 PM
nice speedy!

To the OP; I wish I could help, but my state doesn't alow mechanicals yet. I guess that they are up for discussion for new regs again this year, along with luminocks and minimum arrow weight. With that said, Muzzys are great, and I haven't had a problem getting them to fly with my points. IMO, mechanicals are a great way to hide a poor tune. I have a friend who can't get broadheads to fly anywhere close to his fieldtips, so he uses those atom razorwire tips.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Used both and I am sticking with fixed. Less worries about opening. Not saying all brands are the same. But there are a few that have problems.

Hutch :cool:

wick
05-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Nice hog speedy! That sure would make for a nice memorial day pig roast this weekend. Ever had any problems with quartering shots? I know guys that swear by Rage. But I have heard of pennetration issues too. I broadhead tune with the muzzy's on all my set ups and only usually have small differnces in the end but I am intrigued by the gaping holes that i see with the mechanicals. But also, If there are any improvements in flight with mechanicals then that one less thing to go wrong in a sport where so many things have to go right.

boobowbender
05-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Big Whitetails need solid broadheads. too many variables with most mechanical. did just see a cool show on the shwacker called broadhead science on the sportsman channel testing in against ALL of the competition.
Shot 1 deer with the two blade rage, before becoming too nervous to have one fail on the buck of my dreams, so back to thunderheads last year. They always work, but at times lack monster blood trails. this is why i bought the rage. Still always one in my quiver for yotes or anything else that doesn't weigh 250LBS!
Considering G5 Striker Mags this year 1 1/2 in cut! might be tough to tune though.
---google "broadhead science" once
Theres an awfull lots of marketing dollars spent targeting us hunters

Arrow Splitter
05-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Big Whitetails need solid broadheads. too many variables with most mechanical.
X2 I 100% agree. I don't use mechanical broadheads. Everybody has their own opinion on them, but I'll take my regular broadheads any day.:cool:

A.S

wick
05-29-2011, 03:02 PM
I too don't like any more variables than there needs to be but I don't know if some of the benifits of the mechanicals will be worth it or not. I think i'm still going to try them, just want to make the right decision on the one i choose. I like the the fact that the swhacker doesn't open until the tips over an inch through the hide, thats why I'm leaning towards them so far.

boobowbender
05-29-2011, 03:13 PM
One question. What if the arrow doesn't pass through the other side? you will only have a half inch entry hole. I do think they will do their job 99 times out of 100 though. You know just as well as the rest of us its all about shot placement, but i lost a buck one night cuz i hit him square in the shoulder with a new mechanical i just wanted to try out. And then watched it run away with all of the arrow dangling from the same side i shot him.
Ever hear that story from a muzzy hunter?
Don't mean any disrespect, but i've been through the exact same thing you are debating with yourself. I love buying new stuff to try out too.

boobowbender
05-29-2011, 03:21 PM
but after shooting / using rage, I am intrigued by schwacker. their might be better ones out there though. the rage blades can open in flight and did rattle around alot for me.

I think i'm going back up to 125 grs this year. I want cut on contact, but that 1 1/2 in cutting diam on those striker mags really interests me. Big holes and NO MOVING PARTS
Would like to know if there has been problems tuning them though.

ever shoot that muzzy phantom?

wick
05-29-2011, 03:32 PM
One question. What if the arrow doesn't pass through the other side? you will only have a half inch entry hole. I do think they will do their job 99 times out of 100 though. You know just as well as the rest of us its all about shot placement, but i lost a buck one night cuz i hit him square in the shoulder with a new mechanical i just wanted to try out. And then watched it run away with all of the arrow dangling from the same side i shot him.
Ever hear that story from a muzzy hunter?
Don't mean any disrespect, but i've been through the exact same thing you are debating with yourself. I love buying new stuff to try out too.

To answer your question the inflight blades of the swhacker are i believe just under an inch in dia. these are what actually triggers the opening of the blades. I believe that slick tricks are only an inch in diam. and havn't heard too many complaints about them. So many decisions and so much to choose from. and every one claims there product is the one. Oh, I don't feel disrespected, I love the feedback. I like to have as much information and opinions as possible before making any change.

boobowbender
05-29-2011, 03:37 PM
thats cool, did you read my post about trg?
those slick trick lutz blades are supposed to be super scary sharp! and its a fixed blade!

wick
05-29-2011, 03:40 PM
but after shooting / using rage, I am intrigued by schwacker. their might be better ones out there though. the rage blades can open in flight and did rattle around alot for me.

I think i'm going back up to 125 grs this year. I want cut on contact, but that 1 1/2 in cutting diam on those striker mags really interests me. Big holes and NO MOVING PARTS
Would like to know if there has been problems tuning them though.

ever shoot that muzzy phantom?

No I havn't, Always stayed away from 4 blades. Seems like there would be more flight problems with them. but I bet the phantom would do some damage with that blade extending all the way to the tip. Kinda like the G5's

Destroyer
05-29-2011, 04:05 PM
But lately I've been so saturated by the advertisements on TV for Rage and all the other mechanicals that maybe I'm missing out on something here.

Its amazing how it works on you lol! ;)

Mechanical vs fixed? Both have advantages. Mechanical's fly/tune better and have larger cutting dia's but are more expensive and sometimes have problems opening correctly depending on the angle and critter.

Fixed blades are cheaper, good at any angle and some are very easy to resharpen. Cut on impact 2 blade fixed heads will out penetrate ANY other design, very good on lower poundage/slower bows.

I won't shoot mechanical's simply because I cant afford them. :)

wick
05-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Its amazing how it works on you lol! ;)

I won't shoot mechanical's simply because I cant afford them. :)

I can't afford them either but I can't really afford anything these days. That's part of why I want to get as much input as I can before i buy anything. from real people not commercials.

kylecurtis04
05-29-2011, 05:37 PM
check out reign broadheads.

wick
05-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Most mechanical broadheads today are quite reliable. There was one two or three years ago that was flat junk. I've got the name at the shop.
Otherwise, I've used NAP Shock Wave 100s for the last 10 or 11 years - 32 or 33 deer and no failures. Distances; Off the tip of the arrow and as far out as a measured 36 yards. Like any broadhead placement is everything.

Does NAP still make the Shock Wave? Just printed the new cabela's archery book at work a couple of weeks ago and it's not in there. Just the spitfire's ane bloodrunners for the mechanicals.

wick
05-29-2011, 06:12 PM
check out reign broadheads.

Have you used them?They claim that there are no flight differences with it, is that true. And do the pivoting blades come back to center and continue it's full cutting diameter completly after it strikes bone? Looks pretty neat, I see Ted Nuggent endorses it. at least on the website he does.

kylecurtis04
05-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Have you used them?They claim that there are no flight differences with it, is that true. And do the pivoting blades come back to center and continue it's full cutting diameter completly after it strikes bone? Looks pretty neat, I see Ted Nuggent endorses it. at least on the website he does.

I have a buddy who is sponsored by them and he got me a pack to try. They do fly pretty true to a field point. The blades start in a center position and swivel left or right when they come in contact with bone. I shot a doe with them from about 30 yards. The broadhead blew through her whole front shoulder bone. She ran about 30 yards & died. They also left a very nice blood trail. Well worth the money & won't let you down.

HawgEnvy
05-29-2011, 07:58 PM
fixed heads are always open!

Spiker
05-29-2011, 08:42 PM
I'll just stick with Magnus 2-blade Stingers & Buzzcuts.
No worry no drama. Just poke'm right and their down.

cyclepath
05-29-2011, 08:54 PM
A friend has been talking up these g5-t3 he hunted with last year. However they are pretty spendy, more than I am willing to pay for a broadhead of any kind. Decided I'm going to upgrade my arrows this year and I'll stick with my Magnus stingers and their LIFETIME guarantee. Can't find a mechanical broadhead with that. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with mechanical broadheads and I'm sure there are alot of them out there that work great. Perhaps down the road I may decide to give some a try.

wick
05-30-2011, 09:51 AM
I appreciate all the feedack from all of yall. I think that I'm just going to have to pull the trigger and spend 40 bucks and try a trio of these things and make my mind up for myself. I may end up shooting Muzzy's for the rest of my life, who knows. i guess that's why I love this sport, so many things to tinker with.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-30-2011, 10:39 AM
I shoot a Carbon Express F15 fixed blade from day one it hit like a dart. And I never had to tune. It hit where my field points hit. Glad I removed my field points. We've shot muzzy, strikers, etc etc. It is all preference.

Hutch:cool:

HawgEnvy
05-30-2011, 10:57 AM
just remember to get pics of the entry/exit wounds you get with those,Hutch. And pics of the head afterwards. Actually,that would make a good sticky. Broadhead performance..

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Here you go Hawg,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcgh85kLfL4

HUTCH:cool:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Here ya go again Hawg,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VRLcTk3Q90
Hutch:cool:

Ehunter
05-30-2011, 01:17 PM
I have gone back and forth from fixed to mechanical the last few years. Shot a huge buck with the Slick Trick 100gr. Magnums, went 70 yards and piled up. Shot a average weight buck last year with the Rage 2 blade 100 gr. It went about 80 yards and piled up. Also shot a big buck a couple years ago with the Shuttle T-lock 100 gr., and it went about 60 yards and piled up. Of the 3, I'd say the Rage made a VERY slightly larger hole, but was unuseable after the one shot. The Shuttle T-Lock came in second for exit hole size, and was still razor sharp after a complete pass through. The Slick Trick was still a huge exit wound, but the edge of a few of the blades were fairly chipped after the shot. All the shots were double lung, no shoulder hits. All 3 fly very well from my bow, so flight isn't a consideration. All 3 had very similar exit wounds, so that isn't a worry. I'm gonna stick with the Shuttle T-Locks for their durability and performance. Not sure what it is about their design, but they fly very true, and leave an exit hole you can put your fist in. That's plenty good for me. Taking them on a Wyoming mule deer hunt this fall provided I draw a tag. First time hunting muleys, and I'll trust those broadheads.

Destroyer
05-30-2011, 03:48 PM
so many things to tinker with.

Too many arrrrrg........;)

Money Man
05-30-2011, 05:28 PM
But lately I've been so saturated by the advertisements on TV for Rage and all the other mechanicals that maybe I'm missing out on something here.

All companies spend a lot of money to sell their product. Hopefully you can catch a good recommendation from someone here or a friend, otherwise you have to pony up the money and try the ones that catch your eye. Just make sure that whatever you try, give it a fair shot. Tune them and make sure you are happy with them. A lot of people hunt with things that don't need, but they feel comfortable so if you feel good about it, use it.
I have a buddy who bought NAP spitfires because the package said they fly like field points. He just puts them on a goes hunting after making sure his field points are set. I have had to help him track deer 3 years in a row, and all of them he was hitting to the right of where he was aiming, but he won't fix it because he feels confident that he has been getting deer with them. Good luck.

wick
05-30-2011, 05:54 PM
All companies spend a lot of money to sell their product. Hopefully you can catch a good recommendation from someone here or a friend, otherwise you have to pony up the money and try the ones that catch your eye. Just make sure that whatever you try, give it a fair shot. Tune them and make sure you are happy with them. A lot of people hunt with things that don't need, but they feel comfortable so if you feel good about it, use it.
I have a buddy who bought NAP spitfires because the package said they fly like field points. He just puts them on a goes hunting after making sure his field points are set. I have had to help him track deer 3 years in a row, and all of them he was hitting to the right of where he was aiming, but he won't fix it because he feels confident that he has been getting deer with them. Good luck.
Sonds like he needs to do a little extra tunning. all mechanicals have something that sticks up and grabs the air, I think you still have to at least shoot em and adjust to where they hit.

Destroyer
05-30-2011, 07:12 PM
I have had to help him track deer 3 years in a row, and all of them he was hitting to the right of where he was aiming, but he won't fix it because he feels confident that he has been getting deer with them. Good luck.

So the 'fly like a field point' is overriding the proven result?

wick
05-30-2011, 07:29 PM
White tail deer are pretty resiliante animals i do say so myself. but I've also hit em pretty bad and they just lay down and wait to die and also have hit with a 30. 06 and knocked em on there butt just to have em get up and run a 1/4 mile. That is why we try to get every advantage that we can get, and why the marketing companies love us so.

wscywabbit
05-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Ok hutch, I really like those F-15's... I may have to give them try!