PDA

View Full Version : cheetah project driving me nuts!

HawgEnvy
05-31-2011, 06:04 PM
after trying several times to get a decent paint job(automotive style), the paint just would not lay properly. I've painted alot of things using the exact same process and have had them turn out great. But not the riser. I finally got it to where it looked good. I sat it in the window sill so it would soak up the sun and dry thouroughly. It wasn't perfect,but good enough for me. The flaws were minor and wouldn't have been noticed w/o nitpicking. So, I decide a couple coats of matte clear and it'll be ready for re-assembly. NOT! I do the first light coat of clear and it's like I hit it w paintstripper. WTF? Not happy at all. Again,ive never had this happen either. Back to the drawing board I go. This time,i use a bare metal primer and a different brand of paint. Same thing happened! I decided to go with a local powdercoater. Screw all this frustration! Especially less than $20,its worth it. I wanted the satisfaction of doing it myself,but...a guy can't win em all. I gave it a helluva try though.

so...any suggestions on color? Pics would be great. Pics would make my day,actually. Since today I stripped the riser bare for the 3rd time.

droppixel
05-31-2011, 07:01 PM
Is it possible to find a decent enough primer that will hold the paint and then throw a clear powder coat over it?

With metals/aluminum a good epoxy primer is probably your best bet and then build a solid coat of paint with a good clear/hardener on top of that. Ol' man is an autobody painter and just going off of what I know from him.

Destroyer
05-31-2011, 07:16 PM
I decided to go with a local powdercoater.

That is what would have done. Color? What is available? Good old black is nice, graphite (matt black) or similar would be nice too. It depends on the use, hunting?

You could always go a bright color for something different. :)

wscywabbit
05-31-2011, 07:17 PM
wow, sounds like a frustrating day! Are you using the bow for hunting, 3D or casual? I only ask because color good for one may not be good for the other. Black is a good all around color, Red would pop, and a darker Blue wouldn't be bad either. I'd stay away from white, or any real light colors it'll get dirty and w/o a clear coat would be hard to keep clean.

gibson 787
05-31-2011, 07:21 PM
Powdercoat is the way to go. I powdercoated a Warthog black with camo limbs. looks mean. Bead blasting and the coating cost under $50.

Spiker
05-31-2011, 08:45 PM
Man - ya already have it stripped again...
I'll powdercoat it in whatever you want.
Shoot me a pm.

HawgEnvy
06-01-2011, 06:10 AM
the Cheetah will be my do-all bow. I got it after last hunting season so I haven't hunted with it yet. Just casual shooting around the yard w my brothers n nephew(he was trying to con me out of it again yesterday). I only shoot 3D at the local courses. Nothing competitive. Just prep for hunting. My main priority.

I'm not a pro at auto body,but I've had plenty of painting experience. I'm wondering if the problem was that all previous paint work was done in a garage w fairly steady temps. This project was done outside as I no longer have garage access. So varying temps and humidity is the only conclusion I've come up with. The limbs,using the same painting method,turned out great. Difference in material(fiberglass vs aluminum)?

I was looking for a color chart and found a few,but they don't show up so well on my phone. I like neutral,earthtone colors with a satin or matte finish. Flat colors not so much. Decisions,decisions.

from what I've read,powdercoating must be done on bare metal. It won't adhere to paint. So paint w a clear p-coat isn't an option.

gibson787,got pics of the Warthog? Sounds interesting.

Spiker,keep ur eyes out for a PM,and thanks for the offer.

gibson 787
06-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Shoot me a pm.

He's a good man, the Spiker.

gibson787,got pics of the Warthog? Sounds interesting.

I'll organise a pic tonight mate.

Destroyer
06-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Difference in material(fiberglass vs aluminum)?

Wouldn't think so. Did you clear coat the limbs? Btw, what is the clear paint type?

HawgEnvy
06-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Wouldn't think so. Did you clear coat the limbs? Btw, what is the clear paint type?

I didn't clear coat the limbs. Didn't want to start over on those,too. Krylon matte clear

Destroyer
06-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Krylon matte clear

Acrylic. You can't mix enamel & acrylic.

gibson 787
06-01-2011, 06:38 PM
In my limited experience with paint I found aluminium to be the most difficult surface to paint.

HawgEnvy
06-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Shoot me a pm.

waiting for info. Did you get the PM?

Wouldn't think so. Did you clear coat the limbs? Btw, what is the clear paint
type?

I did clear coat the limbs yesterday. No problems. Same primer,paint,and clear as the riser. ???
[QUOTE=gibson 787;50069]In my limited experience with paint I found aluminium to be the most difficult surface to paint.

it's proving to be a PITA for sure

Destroyer
06-03-2011, 06:17 PM
I did clear coat the limbs yesterday. No problems. Same primer,paint,and clear as the riser. ???

:confused:

So the primer is no good for alloy for whatever reason? Or maybe the limbs soaked up the primer better? I've had no problem painting alloy as far as a chemical reaction is concerned. Getting it to stick well is another matter.

cyclepath
06-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Just get a home dip kit and dip it yourself, 100 bucks and you can do alot more than a riser. :cool:

Destroyer
06-03-2011, 08:43 PM
How much could you do with a single kit?

cyclepath
06-03-2011, 09:01 PM
How much could you do with a single kit?

This is part 1, there are 2 parts http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt6_ur8hybY&feature=related

cyclepath
06-03-2011, 09:04 PM
This is part 1, there are 2 parts http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt6_ur8hybY&feature=related

Here is part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB9YtesgL2Y&feature=fvwrel

Destroyer
06-04-2011, 02:32 AM
That explains it better, good vids. (little corny at the start of part one though)

Cheers cyclepath! :)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-04-2011, 02:47 AM
With a home dip kit you can pick your color, your camo, your parts you want to dip. The kit goes a long ways. If you use it right. Your bow will look new. Also if you look on the market they sell a clear rubberized coating. That is what diamond uses over their finishes. Once done right it should last a while.

Hutch:cool:

HawgEnvy
06-04-2011, 05:09 AM
do any of you have experience w that product?

MLN1963
06-04-2011, 06:46 AM
Also if you look on the market they sell a clear rubberized coating. That is what diamond uses over their finishes. Once done right it should last a while.

Hutch:cool:

Where do you find this and have you used it?

Destroyer
06-04-2011, 03:54 PM
A brand or name?