Got my new limbs
My new limbs were on my front porch when I got home from work yesterday.
I put my bow all back togeather and cranked the limb bolts down and backed them out an 1/8 turn and sent the tiller, then went to draw the bow.
I couldn't pull it back, I thought...Dang I must be getting real old...lol I thought I might of routed the cables wrong or something so I grabbed my backup Shadowcat and they matched up. Now the new limbs are 60 pound max limbs and I know I can pull 60 pounds. So I backed the limb bolts out untill it felt right and put it on my scale, it read 57 pounds. The limbs are backed out to where the bolts are just sticking out of the barrle nuts and there is over a 1/4" gap between the limb and riser.
I took the bow out to my back yard and shot it, it feels real mushy, when it drops into the valley you can hardly feel it and when I loose the arrow it just kind of goes mush and is shooting real low to the left.
I am going to pull it apart tonight when I get home to make sure everything is right, but this has me wondering what is going on. I will do an update tonight once I ter into the bow.
sounds to me like your strings aren't to length; measure them again and put them back on. Either that or they send you heavier limbs :eek:
Not calling you a dummy, but did you happen to check the deflection code? If you have it strung correctly then there's a possibility you got mismarked limbs or the string/cables aren't to proper length. The only thing I can think of to cause the mushy feeling is maybe the rigging isn't set up properly or the draw stop is set too long. I wonder about this because if all you changed was the limbs then you probably didn't mess with the draw stop from it's previous setting.
Originally Posted by bfisher
Would you happen to have a list of the limb deflection numbers? When I took the cables, strings and cams off the old limbs what I did was just press the bow, pull the axles and lifted the whole system out and placed it on my work bench. I never took anything off the cams. I then reinstalled the new limbs on the riser and placed the cams back into the limb forks.
What I did last night was to scrape away the paint(dip) from inside the limb forks and also on the outside of the limbs where the axle clips go. This allowed the cams to move more freely and this seemed to help some.
I am going to play around with it more out at the range this morning before my shoot.
I'm thinking they sent you the wrong limbs. Although the limbs do have a "range" and no two limbs are the same. It could be that your new limbs, even though they are in that deflection "range" are a lot different than your old ones... :confused:
I think this is why you can have two identical bows and have them tune and setup completely different.