Welcome to the forum! You can most certainly get the 70# version and dial it down easily and efficiently; especially with the Fury cam. If you are going to spend the money, I'd get what you want, and turn it down until you're comfortable.
Now on the other hand, to play devil's advocate, 60# is more than enough for any big game in the US. I shoot a 70# Onza atm, but my next bow will be a 60# offering, probably a Cougar with the Nitro 2 cams or an Alien with the Hybrix. I can get the same speeds out of them with a lighter arrow and only lose a little bit of my kinetic energy. Just food for thought.
Whatever you buy, know that with Martin you'll enjoy a great bow, at a great price with outstanding customer service and wonderful brothers in arms here!
Good luck and great shooting! ;)
Certain limb deflections will get you more or less weight depending on the limb.
So if you are looking for something in the 62-64# range, you could get a 60# bow with the "H/M" limb and hit 64/62# - that is how my Bengal is and I love it. I have a 70# Cheetah, but I back that down a little. I can shoot 70# if I want, but that mid 60 range feels really good. With that, my next bow will more than likely be a 60# limb.
Originally Posted by bfisher
So if you don't think you'll ever need to shoot a full 70# just grab a 60# bow. Speed difference isn't going to be that much btw the 2 and from a hunting perspective 60# is plenty to drop any North American game. If you want to shoot heavier arrows, than the extra pounds behind it might be nice.
dont crank that single cam up to 70lb, its gonna wear it out quicker, i would keep it around 60-65. i can see the stress on my 2011 exile from constantly pulling 70 lbs, i just replaced my strings and they are already wearing faster than i would like. they shoot a lot smoother around 60-65
Does anybody have any idea when the 2013 bows are going to be available? Am I really going to have to wait until January or later to buy one?! If that's the case, they shouldn't have even released the catalog yet. That is just frustrating IMO. I am considering the Blade x4 after seeing the 2013 catalog, but I have been waiting to buy a bow for quite a while now and I'd like to pull the trigger so I may end up just getting a Prowler like I've been planning for a while.
Oh, and as to the original question on this post. I've pretty well decided to get the 70lb version and dial it down to start with. May as well have the option to go up if I want...
I have shot 70# bows the entire time I've hunted. This year, I find myself shooting more comfortably around the 65-67# range, depending on the bow. I figure with a 70# bow, you can always dial it down to your preferred weight, and shoot it there. Performance will still be there, and you get the poundage you want. I do prefer 60# bows for turkey hunting, as the lower hold weight comes in very handy during turkey hunting without a blind. lol