stripping bow finish
I just removed the coin from the Cheetah using the hair dryer. I put a metal pick under the edge of the coin and pryed lightly as I was heating and it popped right off. I used nail polish remover to soften the adhesive(which didn't work). I scraped the adhesive off w a flat screwdriver. The nail polish remover immediately bubbled the finish and took it down to bare aluminum. I think the easiest way to remove the finish will be to rub the riser down w acetone. It'll make it a quick job.
NOTE: I will NOT be using acetone on the limbs and don't recommend anyone doing so. That could be costly.
However, I need input on removing the finish from the limbs. I'm thinking an 800 grit sand paper followed up by 1200 grit to smooth it all out. Opinions/suggestions?
I'm still debating on the final finish. An automotive paint with a flat clear would be plenty durable and look nice. There isn't anywhere close to me that does hydrographics. There are powdercoaters in the area that I will be contacting soon.
I'm open to all thoughts,opinions,suggestions on the process and even the color scheme. I've got several ideas,but those are subject to change.
Here's a thread that I started a while back on the "Other" forum:http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...1326357&page=1
I haven't refinished my bow yet though.
thanks for the link. Some good info there. Anyone else?
You may want to consider 3M abrasive pads/ Scotch Brite Pads for some stripping. Just google them for info. They conform to grooves, curves and edges easier. Also I was wondering about the Limb finish. You will need something that will handle the vibration and flex with out cracking the finish. I believe some finishes are rated w/ a solids content. The lower the solids the more flexible but w/ less shine. More solids, more brittle w/ higher shine/gloss. A good paint shop should be able to help.
so the nail polish remover did not eat the glue,man i thought for sure it would work.and a big suprise it ate the finish.sorry i led ya in the wrong direction.maybe i will test things on my bow befor i bring on my big ideas.lol.i dont know what to do about the limbs,they are scary to work with
yup. Polish remover ate the finish. Which is fine. No problem there. It just saved me from having to buy paint stripper. The glue isn't really a glue. It's more like it was a drop of melted rubber that the coin was pressed into. The VEM's pushed through the riser w/o issue and will easily pop back in. The grip was a major PIA to get off. That alone took 45min. I don't know how people are having problems w theirs sliding. It's mind boggling how well it was on there.
the limbs I just sanded for about 45min ea. Under the camo it looks like a urethane primer. I left that instead of taking it down to bare glass.
so far it's coming along smoothly. It took longer to get the grip off than it did to completely strip the rest of the bow. I'm taking pics as I go(Hutch)and will get them up when I'm finished. So stay tuned.
Hutch,ill be hittin you up for a string soon.
Good luck with your limbs. When I redid my other bow the limbs were dipped with camo, and since I am not a fan of camo so I decided to sand the limbs and paint them. What a pain the arse. Looking back I should have taken them in and had them cleaned and redipped. Next time I will do that. Anyway if you are looking for a good paint to use that is very flexable I used spray paint for vinyl car seats. No problems with chipping or flaking off.
the limbs are turning out great. There getting there second coat of krylon in bout 10 more min. It's the same stuff I used on the vinyl dash of my truck and the door panels. It didn't crack,chip,peel or flake so I'm trying that for now.
Thanks for posting all this, I'm sure it'll be a big help to us "diy" people... As for the Krylon, I was reading through the post and was gonna suggest their Fusion paint but it looks like you beat me to the punch lol!
it's my first bow project so bear with me. I try to do my homework before diving into things like this.
so far,ive got 2 lights coats on the limbs,then it started to rain. Hopefully tomorrow I can get a couple more coats on.
the riser is now fully stripped and sanded smooth and ready for paint. I had to leave the limb pockets on. The freakin bolts won't budge. I tried a little heat but didn't want to risk damage. I need to see bout getting new limb decals from Martin or decide if I want to airbrush the logo on the limbs.