Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: may not fit here, but its worth a shot

Post Thanks / Like

Default may not fit here, but its worth a shot

i have a riser from an older martin wildcat compound and ive been looking at the takedown recurve that is offered. are the riser i have, and that riser one in the same? and if so, are the limb pockets on it ILF, or do i need some kind of specific limb for this riser? i would really like to turn this into a beginner target recurve or use it in addition to my other revurve for hunting. it seems like it would be alot of fun, and easier to travel, with a takedown bow. i already sent an email to the tech section of martin, but i figured someone on here might be able to answer quicker. thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes they are. The Martin Wildcat riser is the same riser as the the Jaguar riser that is now being used as a takedown. Now as far as limbs go, I'm not sure what can/can not be used with it. Someone else on here may know.
    By the way, Welcome to the Martin Tech Forum.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks arrow splitter, now I know I have the beginnings of a recurve bow. Now onto a question I thought of after I posted the first ones. How does the take down recurve shoot? Is it worth building one? I would only imagine that whatever limbs I put on this thing it will be comparable to the jaguar...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy770 View Post
    are the limb pockets on it ILF, or do i need some kind of specific limb for this riser?
    Nope, not ILF and you will probably need to purchase the Martin takedown limbs, even then I'm not sure about the fit. The thing to watch is the draw weight. If the deflection of the pocket is different from the jaguar it will adjust the draw weight.

Welcome to the forum!

Post Thanks / Like

well, thats actually kind of a welcome surprise(as far as needing specific limbs). i went and looked at the price of the jaguar limbs and i was surprised at how low priced they are, compared to some target limbs ive been looking at which can easily pass the $200.00 mark. and the draw weight isnt really that big of a concern, i was going to go light with it, maybe 45Lbs or so. my other recurve(a bear grizzly) is 55Lbs. i can shoot that pretty well, and i will more than likely use this recurve-to-be as a target bow, put an old school cushion plunger or a blade style rest. im actually getting kind of excited about this because i dont have any of these options on the grizzy... thanks for all the good info guys, and thanks for the welcomes.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

If you get one together, post a few photo's.

Post Thanks / Like

It won't be for a little bit, I want to buy everything in one shot. I'm going to crouse by my local pro shop and figure out everything I need to get a basic target bow setup and put an order in for all of it. Rest, stab, stuff like that. I decided this isn't going to be a hunting bow, but more of a basic target bow. Should be fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Basic Target Bow...

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy770 View Post
    It won't be for a little bit, I want to buy everything in one shot. I'm going to crouse by my local pro shop and figure out everything I need to get a basic target bow setup and put an order in for all of it. Rest, stab, stuff like that. I decided this isn't going to be a hunting bow, but more of a basic target bow. Should be fun.
    I was thinking of getting a jaguar takedown as a hiking and survival backpacking bow, but then I had the same idea, why not use it as a cost effective beginning target bow, great minds think alike, LOL
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peace View Post
    I was thinking of getting a jaguar takedown as a hiking and survival backpacking bow
    They are good for hiking, packs up well but for survival......

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    They are good for hiking, packs up well but for survival......
    With Survival I was thinking more along the lines of a SHTF EOTWAWKI bug out type situation in which case whatever is handy, is dandy. I am hoping to be raptured or whatever before that may occur but I want to be prepared unless somehow I got it wrong in my understanding of The Book.
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com