Thread: Broadhead Weight

Post Thanks / Like

Default Broadhead Weight

I have a short draw 26" and shoot a Martin firecat 360 at 50lbs.
    I use Gold Tip Hunter arrows and can get three different weight broadheads 82, 100 and 125 g
    Should I use the 82g broadheads to get a faster arrow speed or heaver ones for more energy.
    What effect will the weight of the broadhead have on the arrow balance?
    Will there be much difference in point of impact with say the 82 or 100 g heads.
    And finally I use the same arrows for field shooting with a 100g point should a 100g broadhead have the same point of impact.

Post Thanks / Like

QUOTE=Troutfisher;51224]
    Should I use the 82g broadheads to get a faster arrow speed or heaver ones for more energy.
    On the Calculator,there is not much change in KE with the 3 heads,with such a low DL and DW.So I probably would stick with a 100 gr.

What effect will the weight of the broadhead have on the arrow balance?

Heavier will give it better FOC

Will there be much difference in point of impact with say the 82 or 100 g heads.
    Probably a little

And finally I use the same arrows for field shooting with a 100g point should a 100g broadhead have the same point of impact
    As long as your bow is tuned ,your BH should hit the same point or very very close,

Here is a link for BH tuning to help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm_mBH9lhRw
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome TF,
    I would have to agree with SL. I have a short draw length and I am using 100gr. The foc is better with the 100gr. This will give it KE and let it have some speed.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have always been told to use 100gr. practice tips and broadheads and they have always worked great for me. 100gr. are easy to find and usually you can find a nice bulk price for them on eBay.
    2011 Martin Rack Attack (Exile) -Bonz Camo -DL 30, 70#.
    Arrows -Carbon 350, 30", 100gr. Trophy Ridge Hammerhead mechanical broadheads, quiver - Martin 6.
    Site -TRUGLO Micro Brite 5 pin (1x.029, 2x.019, 2x.010) w/light APG Camo w/detatchable bracket.
    Limbsaver stabilizer, leeches & limbsavers.
    Releases - Tru-Fire Edge 4, Spot Hogg Saturday Night Special, Bear 4 finger.
    Flamebeau Deluxe case.
    1999 Martin Pride '99' 70# & 30" - This was my 1st bow.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Think about the blade thickness too. On heavier broadheads, the blades will be thinker (usually) and have a larger cutting width.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutfisher View Post
    finally I use the same arrows for field shooting with a 100g point should a 100g broadhead have the same point of impact.
    Not always. I've found that having a lower broadhead weight than the field point will tune closer sometimes but it depends.

The 'same weight for both idea' comes from an older time where they didn't really tune much and only used recurves.