Thread: 3D in the UK

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default 3D in the UK

For those that don't know, it is illegal to hunt with a bow (any bow) in the UK, so with the exception of a handful of guys who travel overseas for their hunting, the choices are FITA, Field and 3D.

I'm not a FITA archer, I have a good bow for it, but it's not really my thing, so I shoot field and 3D only. I've attached a couple of pics from the National 3D Championship a couple of years ago. I did OK with a 5th in class, after a poor first days shooting, but won the Welsh Open 3D in my (finger release) class later the same year.

I've had a break for about 18 months, due to work, and am just about to get back into the competition scene, I can't wait.

Most 3D comps are shot unmarked distance and no range finders are allowed, so it's down to good old fashioned experience and judgement. I have done one marked distance round, but I still used my own judgement, and put in the top score (in my class) of the day.

The last pic shows a bedded Elk, which was full size, HUGE and a lot further away than it looked.

IMGP0050.jpgIMGP0055.jpgIMGP0061.jpg

Don

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.
    Why is it illegal to hunt with a bow in the UK? It seems that it would be the best way to hunt there.
    Don.

Post Thanks / Like

It was made illegal quite some time ago (back in the 1970's I think), as there were well publicised incidents where poachers had wounded animals that had then been discovered by members of the public. I still recall a picture of a Red Deer stag with a crossbow bolt sticking out of it's face.

Hunting over here is a big money industry, where private estates charge a lot of money for rifle shooters to spend a week or two 'stalking' with a gillie (guide), or alternatively sell or lease the hunting rights for an area to a syndicate. So hunting as it exists in the US has no parallel over here, us common folk just don't have the money to compete, ask English Kev about it, he's the expert in this area.

Deer are a real problem, with their numbers growing massively year on year, but the highly restrictive firearm laws and requirements we have make getting permission to shoot very difficult. I'm sure there are a few that get taken with bows or crossbows, but for the vast majority of archers, the only thing we ever hit is rubber.

Neil

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMac View Post
    Hunting over here is a big money industry
    Like the fishing from what I have seen. Big $$!

Post Thanks / Like

In the same league as the best salmon fishing, yes.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMac View Post
    In the same league as the best salmon fishing.
    Salmon fishing? Oh my.......