Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D in the UK

Post Thanks / Like

Default 3D in the UK

For those that don't know, it is illegal to hunt with a bow (any bow) in the UK, so with the exception of a handful of guys who travel overseas for their hunting, the choices are FITA, Field and 3D.

I'm not a FITA archer, I have a good bow for it, but it's not really my thing, so I shoot field and 3D only. I've attached a couple of pics from the National 3D Championship a couple of years ago. I did OK with a 5th in class, after a poor first days shooting, but won the Welsh Open 3D in my (finger release) class later the same year.

I've had a break for about 18 months, due to work, and am just about to get back into the competition scene, I can't wait.

Most 3D comps are shot unmarked distance and no range finders are allowed, so it's down to good old fashioned experience and judgement. I have done one marked distance round, but I still used my own judgement, and put in the top score (in my class) of the day.

The last pic shows a bedded Elk, which was full size, HUGE and a lot further away than it looked.

IMGP0050.jpgIMGP0055.jpgIMGP0061.jpg

Don

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.
    Why is it illegal to hunt with a bow in the UK? It seems that it would be the best way to hunt there.
    Don.

Post Thanks / Like

It was made illegal quite some time ago (back in the 1970's I think), as there were well publicised incidents where poachers had wounded animals that had then been discovered by members of the public. I still recall a picture of a Red Deer stag with a crossbow bolt sticking out of it's face.

Hunting over here is a big money industry, where private estates charge a lot of money for rifle shooters to spend a week or two 'stalking' with a gillie (guide), or alternatively sell or lease the hunting rights for an area to a syndicate. So hunting as it exists in the US has no parallel over here, us common folk just don't have the money to compete, ask English Kev about it, he's the expert in this area.

Deer are a real problem, with their numbers growing massively year on year, but the highly restrictive firearm laws and requirements we have make getting permission to shoot very difficult. I'm sure there are a few that get taken with bows or crossbows, but for the vast majority of archers, the only thing we ever hit is rubber.

Neil

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMac View Post
    Hunting over here is a big money industry
    Like the fishing from what I have seen. Big $$!

Post Thanks / Like

In the same league as the best salmon fishing, yes.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMac View Post
    In the same league as the best salmon fishing.
    Salmon fishing? Oh my.......

Post Thanks / Like

This was a very good, informative post by the OP. Good pictures of those Rineharts, by the way.

It would seem like those in power are still hanging onto the rules applied back in the later centuries when hunting was reserved for the rich and the Royalty. It's a shame that those in power still seem to have the attitude of keeping the common man under their thumbs. From what I understand it's much the same with the use of firearms in the UK (strictly controlled).

Not that the USA is perfect, but is it no wonder that we had a Revolutionary war and broke away. Of course, even here in the US a great majority of people are becoming willing to let the Liberals take more control of our way of lives, giving up more and more rights because of their complacency and laziness.

In the case for the UK, it may come to pass that some governing agency will see the error of their ways when deer populations reach saturation levels and disease and starvation become rampant.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    ???? Didn't show my first reply.

Excellent pics. Some great settings. I'm always surprised to see Rineharts in other countries. Love the Rineharts. Easy to pull and easy on the wallet (after initial cost). ASA member I am, the only reason Rineharts are looked down upon is that the scoring rings are not easily seen. Funny, the deer in my area don't have scoring rings.
    Just a touch off-topic but the same can be said about R&W targets. I think most don't like them because amny of the scoring rings are smaller so it makes for less impressive scores turned in. However most clubs are starting to feel the pinch when looking at McKenzie or Rinehart, especially when it comes to replacement vitals.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    You're right on, Barry. In most of the hunting restricted countries in years past and today, not just the UK, the in power, rich and/or royalty set the standard and lower class... Well, are deemed servants or unworthy.

I saw this documentary; I don't know what they are rightly called, but Game Masters, I believe, are still employed by the rich and royalty. Game Masters do one thing, make sure game is present. Owls, hawks, coons, stray cats or dogs or any other creature not deemed a game animal is destroyed in one fashion or another.
    Don't think this isn't done in the United States. Perhaps some of you subscribed to or heard of Predatory magazine? A lot of articles came from such people who controlled what were (are) deemed varmints on some game ranches and hunting clubs. Of course, there are such ranches and hunting clubs that desire a 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 ratio of bucks to does.
    The term is Game Keeper and your description is spot on. Only this week a Head Keeper of a large estate has been prosecuted for trapping protected birds of prey, in an area where the population of these birds has been on the decline....now they know why. Don't get me wrong, Keepers are for the most part good guys, underpaid for doing a tough job for tough employers and crimes like this say more about the employers than the employee.

There are two factions in action with regards to shooting rights: The estates / landowners and the anti's.

There are some quite substantial areas of land, alive with deer, where the land and the shooting rights have been purchased by wealthy celebrities who are against hunting, with obvious results. Then there are the sporting estates and syndicates, that own the best sporting grounds. To be fair, anyone can buy time at these venues, but you have to have the cash in the first place. It is not really a common man vs Royalty argument, it is more a common man vs big business / big money.

As for firearms Laws over here, they are highly restrictive. For instance, hand guns are illegal, and have been for some time. I gave up my Firearms Certificate after 15 years, as it really was not worth the hassle of going through the renewal process every three years. Ironically there are now more ranges open close to where I live than at the time I had my FAC.

This one could run and run. Just wait until Kev finds the thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Let it run. I find it quite educational to know how others in this world cope. It also let's others from here in the states learn just how good we have it here compared with other parts of the world.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver