Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need your Firecat 400 feedback

Post Thanks / Like

Default I need your Firecat 400 feedback

Ok I know everyone here loves Martin. I do too.. I own a Mag Cat II and really like it. Since I stopped shooting PSE and switched to Martin I have been very pleased.

What I need though is some feedback from people who own this Firecat 400 bow or have shot it. I have never owned a dual hybrid cam bow. I myself like the concept of the TRG and STS. I do not care for the CS. It is the only thing that has give me trouble and that is just noise. Have to keep it lubricated not to squeal on every draw on my current bow. I have read review after review that I can find anyway plus read all information and watched all videos Martin has to offer on this bow. However, I do see some things like cam screws backing out, noisy, and not meeting chrono numbers (which I know is per setup). No where I have read had reported over 300. I know the bow is 600 dollars and elsewhere I would pay more for equal quality. So too me its an 800 dollar bow but 600 dollars is still a lot of money for me. I have 100 saved up so far just for this bow. Anybody want to buy some nice guitar stuff? lol.. just kidding. still raising the bill for it.

So let me know what experience you have with the FC400 if you don't mind. I also read the hammerhead strings that come on it require an incredible amount of waxing on the regular..

Thanks for any input and thanks for having me on the forum.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

I'm sure the guys that own a Firecat will reply soon, this is a great forum.

Btw, what PSE's have you owned?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot for the welcome. I've tried asking numerous questions via email to Martin but with no answer to any of them. I thought here would be a good place. I know they have some things going on with the recent site problems and things but even previous to that event still no answers to emails.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I've tried asking numerous questions via email to Martin but with no answer to any of them
    Emailing Martin is not always the best way. Do a bit of searching here.

Post Thanks / Like

Btw, what PSE's have you owned?
    Oh and I have only owned 2 bows.. Usually get the best out of them.. However I grew up with my parents owning a sporting goods store so I was exposed to a lot and started hunting young and have shot numerous bows. My first bow years ago prior to my Martin was an old PSE F-2. Nothing to talk about other than it took my first deer and was durable with minimal too no maintenance but thats back when a lot of bows were so simple that maintenance was not as prominent due to lack of features.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Martin forum! There are a few on here that own the Firecat 400, so you will eventually get a reply. As Destroyer said, do some searching on here.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have a FC400 and have only had one problem with it. The modules had a rough spot from the machining process that was eating my cables. 5 minutes with a needle file, and it was fixed. I caught it before it did any significant damage to the cables. I am shooting 70#, 28.5 draw, 398 gr. arrow at 298 fps. It does require frequent lubricating of the cables where they pass through the TRG, but that only takes a minute or two. I have noticed that the more I shoot it, the less I am having to lube the cables. Maybe the cables are finally saturated, or maybe everything is finally smoothing out and fitting better. I don't know. As far as shooting the bow, it's a dream. Pretty quiet, fast, and a good weight. Took a bit of getting used to the newer, thinner grips, but once I did, I like them. Anything else you'd like to know just holler!
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    I have a FC400 and have only had one problem with it. The modules had a rough spot from the machining process that was eating my cables. 5 minutes with a needle file, and it was fixed. I caught it before it did any significant damage to the cables. I am shooting 70#, 28.5 draw, 398 gr. arrow at 298 fps. It does require frequent lubricating of the cables where they pass through the TRG, but that only takes a minute or two. I have noticed that the more I shoot it, the less I am having to lube the cables. Maybe the cables are finally saturated, or maybe everything is finally smoothing out and fitting better. I don't know. As far as shooting the bow, it's a dream. Pretty quiet, fast, and a good weight. Took a bit of getting used to the newer, thinner grips, but once I did, I like them. Anything else you'd like to know just holler!
    Hey thanks for your feedback.. Seems like you like this bow and I like that. The rough spot on the modules sounds like a bad production run you got a hold of. I suppose buying any new bow you sit down with the inspection kit and really check it over and on to observing the draw. I have heard their most current production has a number of improvements from the original shipment. Your still another person to report nothing over 300 fps and your shooting 70# though your arrow is on the heavier end I suppose the draw being maxed out for someone else would help that maybe not sure. Still a good speed though. Reason why I am asking owner or experienced feedback is because people tend to post their horror stories and problems and the other 18 out of 20 really enjoy it with little to no issue. Thanks again Ehunter

Post Thanks / Like

I also have problems pulling back 70# on my older bow. Shoot about 60# now but I understand pulling back 70# on this bow is not as hard in some opinions. Also the 3 let off settings up to 80%. The higher let off behind the wall, will that effect fps?

Post Thanks / Like

A higher let-off does seem to slow speed slightly. As smooth as this bow draws, 70# doesn't really feel like 70# to me. I like a little more holding weight than alot of guys. Just seems to keep me steadier on target., so my let-off is lower than most. If you are wanting a 70# FC, I'd say start off shooting it at 60#, and as you get stronger and more comfortable with it, bump the draw weight up a few pounds. When I was shooting arrows that are closer to IBO, I was getting 312fps out of the bow. It's my deer hunting bow, and those arrows were just too light for that. Just used them to check speed. I want something around 400 gr. for deer hunting. Also, the heavier arrow makes the bow far more quiet. Hope this helps!
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.