Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here rifle hunts as well?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple rifles for hunting. A Marlin XS7 in .243 and a Thompson Center Venture in .270. I bought the Marlin and was amazed at how much gun you got for so little money, $299 at WM. Then I happened across the TC Venture and paid only a little more, $350, and it is an even nicer gun for the money.

Both of these guns were less money than my bow and neither have had any problems unlike my Firecat 400. It goes to show how over priced bows are IMO.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I rifle hunt as well..........Remington Model 788, .308
    and pistol hunt..............Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk .44mag
    and muzzleloader hunt....Thompson Center New Englander .54cal

Not so much with the latter two anymore, archery season have been getting in the way.

We have several other firearms around the house, but those are my go to guns
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

I have to many rifles, or thats at least what the wife says. I hunt all but one or two of them, as often as possible.
    weatherby vanguard in 270 win
    savage/stevens 200 in 243, with custom laminated stock that I did most of the work on. Cheap but super accurate gun.
    Ruger M77 target rifle in 22-250 heavy barrel and stock
    Mauser 98 custom rifle in 6.5 rem mag
    Remington 700 custom build in 260 ackley improved, that is 90% done, custom stock, barrel, and custom detachable mag
    Mosin nagant m44 in 7.62x54
    Parts and pieces to soon become a custom arisaka 38 in 6.5 jap.
    TC encore 50 cal muzzle loader, laminated stock. for the ny shotgun season.
    Hawkens 50 cal flint lock
    and then 6 or 7 various over under, semis, and double barrel shotguns for waterfowl. .22 for pests, and a pistol or two for good measure.
    My wife was pissed when I got into archery, if I collect bows like I do guns, we will need a bigger house to put them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    I have to many rifles, or thats at least what the wife says. I hunt all but one or two of them, as often as possible.
    weatherby vanguard in 270 win
    savage/stevens 200 in 243, with custom laminated stock that I did most of the work on. Cheap but super accurate gun.
    Ruger M77 target rifle in 22-250 heavy barrel and stock
    Mauser 98 custom rifle in 6.5 rem mag
    Remington 700 custom build in 260 ackley improved, that is 90% done, custom stock, barrel, and custom detachable mag
    Mosin nagant m44 in 7.62x54
    Parts and pieces to soon become a custom arisaka 38 in 6.5 jap.
    TC encore 50 cal muzzle loader, laminated stock. for the ny shotgun season.
    Hawkens 50 cal flint lock
    and then 6 or 7 various over under, semis, and double barrel shotguns for waterfowl. .22 for pests, and a pistol or two for good measure.
    My wife was pissed when I got into archery, if I collect bows like I do guns, we will need a bigger house to put them.
    Sounds like you have some nice loud toys. Which one's your favorite?
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

oh its so hard, its like picking a favorite child...
    They all have their purposes, of course the varmint rifle is best for wood chucks. I've made 400yd shots on deer with the 270, its been my main rig for 10 yrs, but the others have joined the collection the last few years. I think my future favorite will be the 260 ai because I'm custom making it to my dimensions and everything I've ever wanted but couldnt find in a rifle. but right now at the very moment strangly enough the stevens 243 is my favorite. Bought it used off a buddy for 150. Adjusted the horrible trigger and got it tollerable, reloaded some ballistic tips for it, and was shooting 3/8" groups at 100yds off the bench on the first batch of reloads. Its only second to the varmint rifle in out of the box accuracy, its dirt cheap, and light as feather to carry. Easy to customize, parts are cheap, barrels can be swapped with little tools and some reading.
    I shot a big 5 point, and a doe last season with it. The season before shot a doe between the eyes at 30 yds free hand. Other then the buck all deer dropped in their tracks at the shot, the buck ran 30 yds down hill, and that was more momentum then anything. I bought the 243 for my younger brothers first deer rifle, he will be 12 in a couple years. I wanted to be sure it had enough pop to do the job, and ended up carrying it 2 yrs in a row over every other rifle I own. Dont let anyone tell you small rifles arent good for deer, less kick means greater accuracy and comfort shooting. Light, easy to carry, cheap to reload.
    I think the 260 ai will be all that I have in the 243 and more. size shape fit and feel will be perfect, with a lot more knock down power, penetration, and flat shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    oh its so hard, its like picking a favorite child...
    They all have their purposes, of course the varmint rifle is best for wood chucks. I've made 400yd shots on deer with the 270, its been my main rig for 10 yrs, but the others have joined the collection the last few years. I think my future favorite will be the 260 ai because I'm custom making it to my dimensions and everything I've ever wanted but couldnt find in a rifle. but right now at the very moment strangly enough the stevens 243 is my favorite. Bought it used off a buddy for 150. Adjusted the horrible trigger and got it tollerable, reloaded some ballistic tips for it, and was shooting 3/8" groups at 100yds off the bench on the first batch of reloads. Its only second to the varmint rifle in out of the box accuracy, its dirt cheap, and light as feather to carry. Easy to customize, parts are cheap, barrels can be swapped with little tools and some reading.
    I shot a big 5 point, and a doe last season with it. The season before shot a doe between the eyes at 30 yds free hand. Other then the buck all deer dropped in their tracks at the shot, the buck ran 30 yds down hill, and that was more momentum then anything. I bought the 243 for my younger brothers first deer rifle, he will be 12 in a couple years. I wanted to be sure it had enough pop to do the job, and ended up carrying it 2 yrs in a row over every other rifle I own. Dont let anyone tell you small rifles arent good for deer, less kick means greater accuracy and comfort shooting. Light, easy to carry, cheap to reload.
    I think the 260 ai will be all that I have in the 243 and more. size shape fit and feel will be perfect, with a lot more knock down power, penetration, and flat shooting.
    Sounds good. Right now I own the Remington and a Ruger 10/22. I have a friend who read in some magazine that the Ruger 10/22 was a little sluggish when you fire it fast. Mind you, he doesn't own one. When he was here one time I had him try mine, and fire it as fast as he could pull the trigger. Yes, he quickly discarded the sluggish thought. For deer hunting, I use an 180 grain bullet in my Remington. It's overkill, but at least the deer will be going down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Arrow Splitter; 06-23-2011 at 08:51 AM.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same 10-22. Great gun, keeping it clean is the most important thing to prevent misfires, and jams. The clips get nasty dirty as well and sometimes the springs break or losen in them. Most people think they are slow by design, but its usually because they are dirty. I love mine.
    180gr is perfect for deer in an 06. I've shot 150gr to 180gr in my dads remington 06 for deer and havent had any problems. That big bullet will penetrate deep,carry more energy, and buck the wind better.

Post Thanks / Like

No choice over here if you want to hunt, bowhunting is illegal.
    I have two .243 Remingtons for deer, one with a 26'' bull barrel and a 8.5 -25x Leupold for open fields, the other with a 22'' sporter barrel and a 3-9x Leopold for woodland hunting.
    Varmint rifle is a .223 Remington PSS with the barrel cut down to 22'', threaded 5/8'' and a full length sound moderator, 6.5-20x Leopold.
    I reload for all three.
    Also have a Ruger 77 .22 rimfire, with a sound moderator and a 6.5-20 Leupold, and a whole collection of pellet guns.

Kev

Post Thanks / Like

I bow hunt everything,even though i have some rifles i just like to bow hunt better.

Post Thanks / Like

Moose hunting is only 3 days,so I take what gives me better chances and some places I hunt for deer,require a little more range.

Moss 12 Ga with slug barrel(Comes with me bowhunting for Bears),my Savage 30.06 for Moose,and my Savage 7MM SAUM for deer(plus wife uses it)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X