Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Who here rifle hunts as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    Wow .50 cal is almost overkill for anything in the Americas! I've dropped a couple elk with my .308, and it was my dad's gun of choice before he gave it to me. Not to say that it wouldn't be fun to shoot though $5 a shot is spendy though; at least when you shoot a $15 arrow you know you'll probably get to shoot it again...
    wabbit, if you go shoot an elk with a .50 cal BMG, I believe it will look like the elk was hit with a small meteor.LOL
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I told my friend. I said that I would like a little meat to eat for my efforts.

Post Thanks / Like

Now on the other hand, if I was in grizzly territory that caliber might come in handy. Never mind shooting the bear multiple times to save yourself, just shoot it once, and watch it drop like a rock.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow Splitter View Post
    wabbit, if you go shoot an elk with a .50 cal BMG, I believe it will look like the elk was hit with a small meteor.LOL
    no joke, huh? I shot a small coyote with my friend's 300 mag, it turned the poor fellow inside out!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Try this for firepower:

Post Thanks / Like

You think that is bad check this one out.

20mm rifle

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! An Elephant gun.LOL
    Now that's a gun and a half.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't modern rifle hunt. I mainly use a bow but I will pick up my Dixie Gun Works .58 Caliber Flintlock Jaeger Black powder Muzzle loader. I make my own bullets, Minie balls 500 grains with 100 grains FF.

Jaeger repro engraved (1).jpgJaeger flintlock and gear (1).jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Those old flintlock rifles look so awesome. On one of the other forums I frequent a guy has three of them that he builds himself and they are so gorgeous I could see never taking them out. I hunt only modern firearms right now but I still appreciate the beauty inherent in the older guns.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharxfan View Post
    Those old flintlock rifles look so awesome. On one of the other forums I frequent a guy has three of them that he builds himself and they are so gorgeous I could see never taking them out. I hunt only modern firearms right now but I still appreciate the beauty inherent in the older guns.
    Thanks. I wasn't sure that i could do it when I first use a muzzle loader. I was worried about the powder falling out the pan while I'm was spot and stalking. I've learned since then. Washington only allows Primitive style muzzle loader or ML with a breech open to the elements. We can't use scopes either. The .58 on my rifle is a custom Barrel. The barrel itself is around 600 bucks. plus my Father engraved it and inlaid some gold and silver into it. The rifle comes in a smaller sizer normally. It has a little kick.

http://youtu.be/RO81TUcIViw