Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any body here work on cars?

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any body here work on cars?

Hey Guys, I have worked on cars forever! But I just ran into something I have not done. On a fuel sending unit there is a nylon fuel line. The line to the fuel filter broke off, now I need to splice the nylon fuel line. I bought a kit to repair it. But as usual they don't give instructions. The kit comes with the barbed brass fitting and the nylon fuel line with the quick connect. I looked on line to find out how they do it. They say to boil the line and insert the fitting. No sure since the thing never came with instruction. Help meeeeeeeeee!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

there are so many question......now the fuel sending unit im guessing is your fuel pump,if so is the fuel pump in your gas tank.another is the fuel filter and metel one that has two brass conecting ends on each side.did the brass ends break off the filter.is the break a clean break in the fuel line.did you check for cracks in the fuel line.if ther are cracks or sighn of ware then replace the whole line and dont splice.if you have to conect the two ends of the fuel line then return that kit you bough and go buy a brass male conecting peace that will slide in both ends.hose clamps to snug it up and your good to go.cost will be about 1.50.a bit of spit and it will all slide together......this is what i have done in the woods when i was wheeling and broke a fuel line.
    Last edited by gravedigger; 06-25-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hutch, that could be right. I have never fixed a fuel anything, but as far as putting the hose onto the fitting, that is what we do with our sap lines when we make maple syrup, except in the woods we don't boil water to soften the hose, we just stick it in our mouth to warm it up and then it slides over the fitting pretty nicely. Good luck.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

When I used to work on my car more often and we had to use the barbed connectors I would just spit on the fitting, spread it around and slide the line over it and then tighten down the clamp. If it is fuel line doesn't it have barbs on both sides of the line? If so why not buy new line and replace the whole thing instead of introducing a splice and another possible source of leaks? If you can a picture might help.

Post Thanks / Like

To explain it in a little more detail. The sending unit / fuel pump, has nylon lines coming off of it. One line has a metal 90 degree elbow, that screws into the fuel filter. the elbow rusted and broke. Now I need to cut the rusty elbow off, and splice in the new line. Nylon to nylon with a brass double sided barb. Now they recommend to boil the line to soften it. I can do that on the repair piece but not the fuel sending unit. The sending unit cost almost $300 so I would like to repair the line. "Sounds bad" but if I spit on it that might just do it. But if anyone has any other experience or ideas I am open.

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

I've used a hair dryer b4 to make line more flexible; I'm not sure if you have room to work or if it would be safe. Also a gentle heat on the barbed end and some oil may help you insert into the line. The oil should not harm things. Good Luck.

cj
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

make,model,year of vehicle in question. They're not all the same construction. The fuel pump and sending unit are generally sold as one unit which explains the cost. Is your terminology correct. Isn't the sending unit a "float" attached to a wire arm w wires connected that makes the fuel gauge work? Pics would help or a link to the instructions so I can better visualize what your dealing with.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    make,model,year of vehicle in question. They're not all the same construction. The fuel pump and sending unit are generally sold as one unit which explains the cost. Is your terminology correct. Isn't the sending unit a "float" attached to a wire arm w wires connected that makes the fuel gauge work? Pics would help or a link to the instructions so I can better visualize what your dealing with.
    1998 chevy cavalier. Now a days they call it a fuel sending unit. In the old school days fuel pump. A fuel sending unit, sends fuel. A fuel leveling sensor, is a float which tell your gauge it always empty. But now that I am done toying with you Hawg. Your are right on terminology some companies call it a sending unit some call it a fuel sending unit. All in all I thank you guys for your answers. Cj is right a hair dryer will work to soften the nylon tube, then insert the brass barb. I wanted to be sure there is 7 to 10lbs of pressure on that line.

Thanks guys

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

did you get your rig up and running?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravediggermtv View Post
    did you get your rig up and running?
    All most done GD, I am going through the whole car. I rebuilt the whole rear braking system. Replaced the gas tank. ripped out the interior so A.S. could clean it. A few more things after that. Then I will buff the paint out and done

Hutch