Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 - 1st year Hunting

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2009 - 1st year Hunting

It was the 4th day after opening day. I was in a ground blind, Ameristep Bone Collector. I've been up for the 4 days with limited sleep. So I close my eyes in my outdoor chair. I have the bow (Martin Pride '99') to my left and a buddy sitting next to me on my right, who has never hunted. We both slept from 10am - 1pm, when I woke up and I look 40yrds out and there was his head down munching on some acorns. For a split moment I lost my breathe. I turn to my right and woke my buddy up with a nudge. Now the dear is moving right to left, flat ground, mix of trees, but nice alleys. I reach for my bow, check the release, and draw. Because the dear was moving right to left I was now leaning over my buddy to get the shot down the alley on my left. So now I can see the dears head coming past the brush into the alley on my left. I take a deep breathe looking down my 40 pin through my peep. The arrow was nice and with a brand new 100 grain Muzzy fixed broadhead. The dear is now in the clear and as his front right leg takes his last step, I released the arrow at 280fps. It hits solid, the dear runs, we wait. While waiting I'm freaking out in very quiet excitement. I want to just run out there and start tracking but my brother, who has hunted all his life, always told me to wait so I wouldn't push them. So we waited. About 20 minutes later, we emerged from the group blind. We walk to the spot it was hit and there was a mess, so we followed the little trail about 60yrds and there he was, a young one but decent in size. He was a 6" spike horn, 180lbs, I was so excited. My father went hunting for years when he was younger and he never got anything so I was even more amazed at the fact that I got a dear. One of the best times of my life and I'm now hooked and never stopping. FYI: I started hunting to learn survival and save money with venison.
    2011 Martin Rack Attack (Exile) -Bonz Camo -DL 30, 70#.
    Arrows -Carbon 350, 30", 100gr. Trophy Ridge Hammerhead mechanical broadheads, quiver - Martin 6.
    Site -TRUGLO Micro Brite 5 pin (1x.029, 2x.019, 2x.010) w/light APG Camo w/detatchable bracket.
    Limbsaver stabilizer, leeches & limbsavers.
    Releases - Tru-Fire Edge 4, Spot Hogg Saturday Night Special, Bear 4 finger.
    Flamebeau Deluxe case.
    1999 Martin Pride '99' 70# & 30" - This was my 1st bow.

Post Thanks / Like

Great story and now you are hooked.Hopefully your new Rack Rage will draw blood this fall for you.

SL
    Last edited by Simple Life; 06-27-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: spelling

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice story, looks like there will be more stories to come.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

that is a good story.good hunt

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TIGON View Post
    While waiting I'm freaking out in very quiet excitement.
    Its good hey! Sometimes it aint so quiet.

Great story btw.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just showing my wife the Martin forum and she read my story and the first thing she said was that story was so gay. Lol. And busting on my spelling & grammar. Lol. I told her that only a hunter would understand. But................it is a little gay. LOL
    Arrows -Carbon 350, 30", 100gr. Trophy Ridge Hammerhead mechanical broadheads, quiver - Martin 6.
    Site -TRUGLO Micro Brite 5 pin (1x.029, 2x.019, 2x.010) w/light APG Camo w/detatchable bracket.
    Flamebeau Deluxe case.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Its not. If I want to pick any part its that you need a paragraph or two, makes it easier to read. But that's if your the picky type.

I could do a bit of formatting if you like.

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I would help with is the spelling of deer, not dear. Makes it sound like your hunting a loved one. hahaha. By the way I cant spell to save my life, so dont let it bother you.
    And your wife sounds hilarious, she busts your chops just like my wife busts mine. Ahhh the joys of marriage.

Post Thanks / Like

Spell check gets me everytime - lol. My wife on the other hand.......... She's crazy but she loves venison so she pushes me to hunt more, which is great.
    Flamebeau Deluxe case.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep nothing like the first one,what a rush it can be.