Thread: Bow Wax

karl4hand

Default Bow Wax

Do we need bow wax on modern bow string? I have a Martin Saber. I think it has Helix String (cable).

montanacur

Yes, yes, and more yes! Strings should be waxed often and with enough friction to melt the wax deep into the string. Depending on the wax I am using, I wax my string anywhere from every 2-4 times that I shoot. That's probably after every 30-50 arrows depending on the weather. Warmer weather dries the string out quicker of course. If you have a new string that hasn't been beat from hunting like mine has, you can probably extend that time between waxings from every 50-100 arrows shot through your bow, but yes, wax your string and cables.

Post Thanks / Like

What year is your Saber?
    Have you ever had problems with it? Cam lean, string ware?
    I ordered a 2007 Saber and have since found some bad comments on them.

eelriver

Red face Little Help?

I've owned three bows since the early 80's and have NEVER waxed a string? Why do I need to be doing this? Hate to sound stupid, but if the shoe fits......... I'm not a year round shooter but I do hunt several times per year.

slayer69

I'll tell you why. If you ever get slapped in the face by a broken string, you'll start waxing. Mine broke during 300 league right in my face. Hurt like hell. It was from not waxing and the string got weak and broke.

eelriver

Default Good Information

Based on what Slayer69 has to say.......I think I'll buy some today. Thanks for the heads up.

mysnake12

A lot of variance here...but I must say "Wax often"!!!!! If anything, always wax after every "shooting sequence". If your a hunter or 3-D shooter, you absolutely should when you get in for the day...the elimates of nature can kill a string, especially if you are a "still hunter" the brush and branches will tear a string up. Good luck, and don't forget to wax, it is not that hard anyways, and like another above said, make sure you friction rub the wax into your string!!!!

karl4hand

thanks for all the input. I went to the bow shop in the mean time and they also recommended waxing often.