Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 arrows with the new martin and all in the kill zone

Post Thanks / Like

Default 40 arrows with the new martin and all in the kill zone

This thing is sighting in better and better. I am loving the let off and my ability to hold and wait for a shot. I held the bow today to a 90 second count and still was able to hit the mark. I seem to naturally hit a deer target better than a bullseye on a block target. I shot from everywhere in the yard and even from my deck down. I am enjoying this more than I ever have and the bow is doing very well. I would say I have aboutu 200 arrows total through it and once sighted in I am doing well.

Anyone else out there shoot better at something realistic looking or is it just me?

Regards, Vermonter
    Martin Bone Hunter
    Cobra Release
    Gold Tip Arrows
    Rage Broad Heads
    Scent Blocker Outerwear
    And don't forget the coffee

Post Thanks / Like

On one of my bag targets, there is a set of x-spots and the other is the deer vitals. At 30 yard and I can stack in the vitals, but not on the x-spots. Pretty sure it is just a mind thing and I know I have a larger area that I want to hit and relax a little more and let the bow and arrow do the rest.

Haven't tried beyond 30yd much yet, can make 40 at my house, but it is right up next to the street shooting down the driveway. Don't think the neighbors are too high on that.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

pix, you might want to check city regs. If your in city limits, it's hella fines if your neighbors do complain. Be careful.

Vermonter, sounds like your having fun and shooting better every day. The more your "secret" archery muscles build up, you'll be surprised at your increase in accuracy. I'm pretty much equal whatever I'm shooting. But I've been shooting for alot of years. Practice odd shots as well. Kneeling,sitting,twisting hard left if your right handed,hard right if your left handed, practice shooting through brush,over brush,under brush. Keep shooting from elevated positions and combine the elevation with the things I already mentioned. Practice hard and you will reap the rewards. Good luck. Keep us updated on your progress.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

I have multiple targets in my yard all from about 15 to 35 yards. some block and some realistic. I try to shoot from the ground and from my roof. I feel what your saying about the realistic ones. Seems like i focus a little more "in the zone" when i shoot at my mckenzie. especially when I place it next to obstacles like thru the trees and such. gets you prepared for the moment of truth. I like to move from the rear of the dear to the shoulder, trying to recreate the act of the dear walking and then pausing in the shooting lane. can't wait for the real thing! Keep having fun.
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    With a paper target you try to keep the pin within the bull's eye, thus add stress
    Yep, and I think its easier to concentrate on a 3d target, more reference points. A paper target is just flat.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

another tip. If you plan on going after that bear, get a bear 3D target. Not absolutely necessary,but it will help you learn the proper arrow placement on your quarry. Set it up in the woods and walk through taking shots at unknown distances and different angles. Try different terrain if possible. Side hill, steep down hill(aim low),steep up hill(aim low). As an example, my 35yd pin(on level ground) is dead on a target at 40yds when shooting from an elevated position. I aim low with my 25yd pin(level ground) when shooting at a 20 yd target from an elevated position. I guess it comes from experience and how well acquainted you are with your set-up and your arrows trajectory. I hope I'm helping and not confusing you.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

I go both way's no matter what the target is i shoot good.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Helpful as always

So I am not alone in the 3D thing. I was thinking about a Bear target however I do have the small problem of the fact that the bear actually comes through my property and into my back yard. If I set up a fake Bear I am afraid I will either scare him away or have to buy a new bear target every week. I am really enjoying my results thus far however I am not ready to stand a loved one down range with fruit on their head.

Vermonter
    Martin Bone Hunter
    Cobra Release
    Gold Tip Arrows
    Rage Broad Heads
    Scent Blocker Outerwear

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vermonter View Post
    however I am not ready to stand a loved one down range with fruit on their head.

Vermonter
    LOL!! I have a solution to your target problem. Instead of buying a non-moving bear target, just use the moving bear target.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Moving Bear Target

A. S.

I will be when it is legal however in the mean time I will continue to draw on him with no arrow knocked and at least feel what it looks like for real. I was on foot with him a month ago and had my S&W .40 aimed at him however that was not practice and I was praying I wouldn't need all 15 rounds.

My neighbors are not as careful with their garbage and he always goes to the buffet and then feasts on my side of the property line. It is a decent chunk of distance and he always has trash strewn from their property to mine and everywhere in between. If only I could justify archery as self defense.

Vermonter
    Martin Bone Hunter
    Cobra Release
    Gold Tip Arrows
    Rage Broad Heads
    Scent Blocker Outerwear