Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new toy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    just a quick update: the bow arrived in the mail today. At work, so I cant shoot it yet. First glance everything looks in great condition, no big scratches or anything. String is in decent condition. Draw cycle is a little hard. I only pulled it with fingers, but you definately pull weight a lot earlier in the draw cycle then my exile. But has a nice valley. Smooth draw through out, just quick and a little hard. Will take a little time to get use to.
    The best part about the deal, is I knew there was a sight and rest on it. But i didnt know the series, just the manufacturer. All is said and done it has $120 cobra 5 pin sight, and a $100 qad drop away rest. So I just paid retail price for a used cobra sight and qad rest, and got a free bow thrown in. I'm thrilled!
    That's excellent!! Sounds like you got a better deal than you realized.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

0704112117.jpg0704112117a.jpg

Hopefully the pictures uploaded correctly. I know they arent great, but snapped them late last night with the cell phone.
    So the bow is shooting really well. Very quiet, quick, and accurate. I installed a sims string suppressor. Took a few hours to get the extreme rear sight dialed in with the 5 pin cobra sight. I removed 3 pins from the sight, have one pin set at 25, and the other at 35 yds. So I have the simplicity of 2 pins, in a large diameter sight, easy to see the target and get things lined up. I really like the extreme sight, it shows any torque of the bow, if you draw the bow with the wrong grip you cant line anything up, and your almost better just redrawing the bow. I guess the most important thing is to sight in and set up with really good form, and it will help you keep that form. Anyway the draw is much smoother now, I got use to the feel of it, and like it a lot. I'm stacking arrows at 20 yds on top of one another, worried about a robin hood soon. With only 50 shots through the bow. For perspective I wasnt a horrible shot with my other bow, but I could shoot all day long at 20 yds at the same point of aim, and never worry about hitting another arrow. I could consistently put an arrow in a 3-4" target out to 40 yds, but never grouped well. My shooting has really improved with this bow and sight.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

Ford...nice looking outfit. You sound pleased w/ the new rig. Btec has a strong line of bows and I hope this bow will serve your needs for a long time. I am interested w/ the sight system on the bow. If you have a moment could you post a side pic and one from your aiming perspective. I see the front sight mount is long and am sure this aids w/ line up. Is this the first time you have gone w/ an extended mount sight? Thanks for any input.

cj
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

That's good news. I'm glad you like the bow.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows

Post Thanks / Like

cjchasman,
    Thanks, I am really happy with how things are progressing. I'm at work so I cant take the pictures but I will try to remember to do that tonight. It is my first extended front sight, it came on the bow, and because it has a longer distance from the rear extreme post sight it increases accuracy. Much like shooting a rifle is easier then a pistol, longer distance between both sights. The purpose with the system was to get everything off the string that wasnt needed to increase speed. I also switched to a hand held trufire release, and it gave me another inch or so of draw length. I anchor to my jaw with it, and get my nose on the string. using this sight gets rid of the peep and kisser.
    Keep in mind I'm a new archer, only shooting for a few months, so it wasnt all that difficult to change to a completely new sight system. I havent really formed to much muscle memory with the old set up, so it was an easy transition. though with practice I think everyone could do it. What I'm most impressed with, is this sight relies on the anchor being the same every single time. So you set up the lowest/longest pin to sit in the notch, and your anchor sits there consistently. Then what ever distance you want to shoot, you put the correct pin on it, and leave the lower pin in the notch and its dead on. I find I can close my eyes, draw and open them and the bottom pin is resting perfectly in the notch, no torque or lean. And my level which is hidden by the rear post is perfectly level everytime, which I could never do before.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    I also switched to a hand held trufire release, and it gave me another inch or so of draw length.
    A little correction here. A release does not change your draw length, it changes where you anchor. A release that is too long will cause your hand to go past you jaw, and a release that is too short will cause your hand to stop short of the back of your jaw. Keep in mind that the string is still stopping at the same place, only the release changed.

A.S

Post Thanks / Like

good point, my reason in mentioning it, is that to get to proper anchor, I was able to use the 26" module instead of my usual 25", by doing this I gain some speed, and still anchor properly. Thanks for the correction.