Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How far should the peep sight be?

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

lol-ing at S.L. That's awesome.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

hahaha, I'm in the t rex category, 25ish. I really think someone should market a short draw length bow for men, like 25-27". Make it as fast as possible, and give it a name like t-rex. Bowtech has the heartbreaker, matthews the passion. We need a short draw bow with a mainly name. I know the leopard isnt to bad for names. But this new bow should not be offered in pink anything, not pink camo, any of that. Cause if I have to look at one more short draw bow on ebay with pink strings and accessories, I'm going to cry.... I mean be very upset, yes very upset.............

Oh and the distance thing for the peep is tough for me. I have a huge head, and a big nose. Changes everything, and have a hard time with peep size, distance all of that. Getting rid of the peep cause it annoys me.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL!!!

Don't mess with the rex.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    I've got a little head,big nose,and glasses. 30" AtA bow,28.5"DL peep is 4.5" from peep to corner of my eye nearest my floppy ears. 4" too the frames of my glasses. Does that help? Lol
    What the heck...this is a first! Nobody is asking for pics! lol You handsome devils.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

This just hit me ... the distance from your eye with the peep - what is the best size to use? I am currently using a G5 Meta Hunter 1/4" and it overlaps my sight ring perfectly. Is there any point in going to a smaller peep or is this the best way to keep it?
    2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    This just hit me ... the distance from your eye with the peep - what is the best size to use? I am currently using a G5 Meta Hunter 1/4" and it overlaps my sight ring perfectly. Is there any point in going to a smaller peep or is this the best way to keep it?
    It's personal preference really. I have the same peep, and it fits my sight perfectly as well.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

it should be right ware it needs to be.no more,no less.lol

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there any point in going to a smaller peep
    Lots. Better for the string, large peeps can cause trouble with the strands due to the angles/forces they create. A smaller peep will be more accurate, gives a more precise alignment. And a smaller peep will weigh less which means a little more speed.

I am currently using a G5 Meta Hunter 1/4" and it overlaps my sight ring perfectly.
    If it aint broke.......

Post Thanks / Like

Noted - I think with my next set of strings, I might think about a slightly smaller peep just for giggles and if I don't like it, I'll swap it out.
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Bringing this one back up - I was reading a recent post linked from Wired To Hunt to an article on Bowhunting.com - Extending Your Effective Bow Killing Range.

This got me to thinking about my personal set up. I remembered my sight (TruGlo Carbon XS) had an extra mounting set on the bracket from when I set it up with my Dad. It was set to the closer of the 2 mounting options and that post ruffled my feathers to play with one more thing with the bow. I went ahead and took it off and kicked it out to the extended mount. In doing this I had to bring my sight window down and it was bottomed out.

From here I remembered that the sight was universal for left and right sides - so I took with window out and flipped the arm upside down. This allowed me to bring all of my pins up in the window and give myself more vertical adjustment and center the pins better. Didn't think about this before, but kicking the sight out farther from your eye/peep - makes the pins appear smaller because of the distance...duh...and because of that your pin gaps will open up. That is what I really liked, I could open my gaps up and was able to see much more of the target. Before making the adjustment, my 20/30 pins were super tight with each other. I still have to re-set my 40 and 50, but so far, I really like having this change.

Just a thought for anyone else out there that isn't running their setup like this. Worth trying at least.
    REAL AVID Field Staff