Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with cheetah initial setup

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Problem with cheetah initial setup

Hello, thanks for your responses in advance. I just purchased a new Cheetah. I added a truglo sight left everything else pretty much factory specs, I put a few arrows thru it and all the shots starting at appx 10yds were just diving into ground far short of target. Everything looks squared and level, granted I haven't had time to really eliminate all possible problems but that is frustrating because I lowered the sight fixture but it couldn't go low enough to adjust? Any good advice ? Thx

Post Thanks / Like

You may need to move your peep sight. Try this: nock an arrow and draw the bow with your eyes closed. Keep you eyes closed and imagine a target infront of you at shoulder height (this should keep your bow level). Open your eyes and see where the peep is. If you are not looking through it, you need to move it. I hope this helps.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Money Man View Post
    You may need to move your peep sight. Try this: nock an arrow and draw the bow with your eyes closed. Keep you eyes closed and imagine a target infront of you at shoulder height (this should keep your bow level). Open your eyes and see where the peep is. If you are not looking through it, you need to move it. I hope this helps.
    This and check your center shot after you are done. May need to adjust nocking point and/or rest alignment. Better possibility that it is peep alignment than anything else. Start there and work to the next steps of tuning.
    2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Something is not right here for sure. Even those that have problems with their sight can shoot 10 yards fine and your setup is dropping well short that?

So did you setup the nocking point & rest or was that done for you? Is there a peep on the string? And what draw weight, draw length and arrows are you shooting?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update

I took it to good guy Me and my son deal with at BPS. He looked at it and figured it right away, the Truglo sight could not lower anymore so he flipped the horizontal arm that holds the ring portion, Viola..now I had enough room to adjust the elevation up or down in my case. So it appears the mounting holes on the brace are drilled a little higher than most bows. I shot quite a few eastons thru it and got it dialed in. Can't wait to shoot at a little longer range Tommorow.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I read over this and thought shots were falling 10 short - not from 10 yards. A 10 yard shot should happen so fast there should be no way for it to hit the ground unless you are pointing right at the ground. Something has to be off when the nocking point I would think - if you think it is square and you are level when shooting but the arrow is just coming off in a downward direction that is a problem. If your peep is too high (trying to see this in my head) your shot would be low as you are having to compensate brining the bow down to match up peep/sight. I don't know - but would be curious to see how this works out.

More info - arrows/length/draw weight/draw length and other things that would be important to know about the bow could probably help guys figure it out better than me.
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blindk9 View Post
    the Truglo sight could not lower anymore so he flipped the horizontal arm that holds the ring portion,
    Most of the sights these days don't have that feature so we assume that 'can't get the pins down lower' actually means that the arrow will hit if it goes any lower. But anyway, good to here that you fixed the problem and welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    More info - arrows/length/draw weight/draw length and other things that would be important to know about the bow could probably help guys figure it out
    Yes. I'm thinking that it would be good to have a sticky like 'Before you ask a question - Please Read here'.
    Last edited by Destroyer; 07-01-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear it is better, looks like I was reading through this again and typing another post while you were posting before me

For Destroyer, that sticky option might not be a bad idea - especially for more "tech" type questions when it comes to personal bow and set-up. Other general questions, I am sure that wouldn't be necessary.
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post

For Destroyer, that sticky option might not be a bad idea - especially for more "tech" type questions when it comes to personal bow and set-up. Other general questions, I am sure that wouldn't be necessary.
    I'll have Dad look into putting up a sticky. Good idea, Destroyer.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you A.S sir. droppixel, agree.