Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right hand shooter, left eye dominant

Post Thanks / Like

Default Right hand shooter, left eye dominant

I am a right handed shooter and am left eye dominant. It has not been a problem shooting with only one eye, but I am trying to shoot with both eyes open. Does anyone else have this problem? I am looking for tips to help make it easier to shoot with both eyes open. So far the best I have found is to slightly squint with my left eye. It works OK, but I am open to other suggestions.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

Ive seen guys use those shields on the scope rings for this purpose,you might look into that.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am right eye dominant left handed shooter. I shoot both ways one eye or both. I shoot target with one eye open. I hunt with both eyes open. It takes a while to get use too. But what I do is close one eye sight in, then open the other eye, focus and shoot. This has improved my accuracy tremendously.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Try squinting the more dominant eye. With less opening, it should be less dominant.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not left eye dominant, but I just switched to the extreme rear sight. It allows left eye dominant right handed shooters to shoot with thier dominant eye. There is a ton of adjustment in the sight, and if it is set up properly I think it would work well. It took me an afternoon or about an hour or two of tinkering to get dialed in, but at 20 yds I'm stacking arrows on top of one another, worried that I'm going to break nocks. This is with a new to me bow, with less then 20 shots with it. Just a thought. Its a little pricey, but seems well made, gets ride of your peep and kisser, which adds a little speed. Better in low light conditions. If your sold on the idea, I would go for the pro version that has a front sight built in. I have a nice cobra 5 pin, with my rear sight, it just looks a little goofy because both sights dont match in color and shape. The one piece pro sight just looks smoother with better lines. Just a thought.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

That's an interesting problem - can't change the eye dominance, it'd be expensive to change the bow(s) ... May be you can try to mount a red dot sight on the bow, shoot with both eyes open and see if it helps.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help. It seems the idea of squinting the dominant eye is a popular solution. I have been doing just what Hutch was saying... sight the target with one eye, then squint open the dominant eye. The idea of the rear sight makes sense, but I would be worried about having another piece to try to avoid hitting while going through the woods. I know with my peep sight, if I bump a branch or something, it is not moving.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

My wife is cross dominant like you. The only way she can do it is squint the left eye or cover it. One thing about squinting is the vision in the unsquinted eye can be affected. I used to teach this to my students during night vision goggle training and most never believed me until we put them on a chart to test their vision. So if that is the case you are better off covering the dominate eye when ready to shoot.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

It's okay if you can't agree. I have never heard of training the less dominant eye before. I believe it can be done because you say you did it. Bravo! I was talking present time. If you don't have time to train the eye you only have two options as I can see it, cover the dominant eye or squint it. Squinting can degrade the vision of the unsquinted eye. Some people are more sensitive to this than others. I am affected by this quite a bit.

My wife does everything right handed. I was trying to get her to shoot with both eyes open and her shooting went out the window. When she did it her way she was on target but all messed up with both eyes open. I gave her a quick little test and found out she is left eye dominant, cross dominant to be precise. Since she would kill me if I mentioned her age lets just say she has been doing this for nearly 4 decades and probably isn't going to change.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.
    Firecat 400