Thread: Broadhead target?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Broadhead target?

So, I need a new broadhead target. The last 2 I've had didn't even make it through a hunting season (pre-season to the end) and hunting season will be coming around faster than any of us realize. I like the looks of the new Block Black, and a buddy of mine swears by the Blackhole targets. The Blob would be just too heavy for a decent size target that is packable. Any suggestions?
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

mckenzie shotblocker and the blackhole won't last long. I'm bout to plan on replacing my BH target yearly. Cant find one that lasts
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Use the Couch cushions just don't your wife catch ya...I found that out the hard way...

Post Thanks / Like

You have a point Sonny, and grouping bheads gets expensive fast! I'm just hoping to get a bh target that will last more than one season, and/or won't fall apart all over the place. @ Hunting camp the target gets shredded anyways.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Block Polyfusion a few months ago. Probably has 150 broadhead, and 750 field point shots in it. Holding up pretty well so far. Only problem I have with it is, sometimes, the BH's are a real pain to get out. They used some cardboard in the target, and the heads seem to be catching on it during removal. Only other thing, and it's not a biggie so far is, the target is 16 inches deep, and my arrows are sticking out the back of the target until I am shooting from 50 yards or further away. Makes me wonder about it's stopping power down the road, but it's easy to unscrew the broadheads, and just pull the arrow though.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Being on limited funds I packed my shot through Block Fusion with plastic grocery bags. It stops my Magnus Buzzcuts easily. New targets are expensive so I keep making do with the grocery bag trick. I always carry a target to deer camp and during the midday take a few shots with my practice broadheads to make sure everything is ok. I haven't shot the new Green targets yet but they all do fall apart eventually. Maybe buy the cheapest target you can find and replace it more or buy the most expensive and forget about for a year. If you had a really good way to pack those grocery bags into a shoot through form it just might be the ticket. I always clean any bag pieces up after practicing, just stuff them back into the target.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    If your broadheads are hitting with your field points, then just test shoot your broadheads time to time, not drag out a practice session.
    That would be my advice, or shoot a mechanical like the rage. I've been thinking of buying some lately.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a American Whitetail Hybrid King from Sportsmans Guide earlier this year. Based on what I'm seeing so far, I like it and think it will hold up pretty well.

Attached photo is one from a practice session while camping 4 weeks ago..........I noticed in picture the target appears to only have a dozen or so high shoots in it, but this was end of day 3 and I had been shooting every day, twice a day. Had also done some broadhead tuning in few before.

This was 60yd play, shooting one field point (top), then one broadhead (bottom) right near end of shooting light.......bit high/left
    FYI: It is a PIA to pull field points out of......arrow lube would probably help

Hybrid King.jpg
    Last edited by RLW; 08-29-2011 at 05:10 AM.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine in MN made a BH target. He took a $10 sheet of 2" insulation board you use in walls and a $10 can of 3M #78 Polystyrene spray adhesive. He cut it and glued it together 18" thick. This isn't for everyday practice, BH tuning only. It should last for a while as long as you move your aim point around on occasion and use all the sides.
    Firecat 400