Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michigan ROCKS! Doe season....

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Michigan ROCKS! Doe season....

just picked up my 2011 antlerless guide. NO season limit on private land doe. Doe tags can be purchased 5/daily. Baiting reinstated,also. But since I hunt cornfields and oak woods, it's not really necessary. I've got two appletrees in my yard that haven't produced for 3yrs. This year they're overflowing. Maybe I'll put em to use. It's great cover scent. I smash em w my boots while walking to stand. Seems to work well. There's also an early firearm season for private land from 9/15-19. I'm so stoked. The Athens n the Cheetah are gonna be shedding alot of blood this year. No holds barred.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

I'm jealous.......Congrats on the liberal regs. Hopefully people will respect them and they will stay instated for years to come. Should help you to control buck to doe ratio as well. Have fun.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

I will have lots of fun. Idk what the current ratio is, but on most lots that I hunt, I see more bucks. On others it's does. Some of the areas I hunt are more agricultural than others,so I'm sure that plays a role. I shot an eleven point in '04 and have been trying to get a bigger one since w no luck. I took a 7pt two years ago out frustration cuz I spooked a nice 12pt the eve before. My personal goal is nothing under an 8pt and must be at least as wide as it's ears. I've taken plenty of small bucks in my early hunting days just to get some experience. So I set that goal after my 5th year bowhunting. I've passed up alot of bucks,and even a few that met my goal. I wish for antler restrictions in my county. As of yet, it's not statewide. The does around here are HUGE. My biggest was 230 dressed and the second biggest was 208 dressed. I love it when big swamps and big cornfields meet
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

wow those are big does. I hunt pa and ny. Pa has the mandatory antler restriction 3 points to one side. ny has nothing. We do see bigger buck since the restriction went in place. My biggest so far was an 8 pt with 16" spread. But buck are few and far between. Our doe ratio is way out of whack, especially in ny, or at least the areas I hunt. Deer population as a whole seemed low this year. Combined with both firearms season in 9 days of hunting I saw 6 deer.
    First year archery hunting, hoping for better numbers in the early season.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

I'm green with envy!. LOL. We get one buck or a late season doe. Unless you win one of the raffles.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to steal your thnder Hawg but I just checked and Bow season starts down here on Sept 17th. I just realized how much work I have left to do and no time to do it in. I haven't even started a food plot yet. Dammit.

Post Thanks / Like

S-fan,are the bucks still in velvet that early? I don't have the opp to take a velvet buck here. They're pretty much done by bow opener(Oct.1st)

Ford, that makes for some hard hunts. I usually have 6 deer in range and waiting for a BH at daybreak if I hunt the oaks. It's a major PITA to catch em coming in/out of standing corn. So it's give n take there. This area has extremely well fed and healthy deer. Crops along the river/creekbottoms,swamps,etc and white oaks surrounding. There's plenty of critters to shoot in a days hunt. I'm going to have 2 BH arrows and 3 small game tipped this season. I'm seeing coons n squirrels if not deer,so I might as well get some extra practice in.

Post Thanks / Like

This is only my second year hunting , first with a bow so I am not sure. I have a trail cam pic of a 4 point in velvet taken about a month ago so not sure what will happen in Sept.

I am stoked because this is the firt time I have multiple pics of deer during the day on my cams. Last year was all night shots and I was aggravated to say the least. I did also pic up a stand on a pipeline from my cousin that has promise so I have to put up a feeder there and hope to get a food plot in before to much longer.

Post Thanks / Like

that is alot off deer you can take.in oregon we only get one per year,but we can take any deer.fawn,doe buck what ever one happens to bein sight.same with elk

Post Thanks / Like

I have visions of alot of Michigan deer meat in the freezer.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!