Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadhead tuning

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ehunter,
    1. Have you weighed all of the arrows with the broad heads on them?
    Outer limits archery sells a kit that are washers. Each weighing a grain.
    This will assure that the weight of each is the same, to help them fly the same.

2. Have you indexed each broad head?
    Line up each broad head with your vanes. Every blade matching the vane.
    Some will sand a little material off the insert to accomplish this. But I don't recommend this. If you ever change your broad heads, you will need to sand more material off.
    I use a piece of scotch tape. I put it over the insert, then poke a hole in it. Screw the insert in it and shave off the rest of the tape. (add more tape if needed) once you have indexed your blades the spin of the arrow in flight will be enhanced. Thus helping flight.

3. Have you spine tested the arrow that flies different?
    Old school people would float the shafts to see where the seam would be. Then Fletch it with the seam on the bottom.
    Now a days you might get an arrow or two with the seam out of place. Thus the seam being a little stiffer and causing that arrow to fly different.
    Most would re-Fletch the arrow to line the seam to the bottom.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ehunter

Maybe it would be easier in the long run to get a second sight that you have one for FP and one for BH? If you have a micro adjustable sight then it might be easier to move things back and forth. If it comes to that for me I will pick up a second sight if I can afford it.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

MLN just buy a second bow one for target field points, and the other for Hunting broad heads!
    Come on you've got the bucks

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    You've got the bucks

Hutch
    I hope you're talking about the antlered type.LOL
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Got the same thing goin on with my Muzzy's. at about 30 yards they hit right on top of each other one foot to the left. I shoot aluminum 2315 easton super slams. a little heavy and overspined for my 59 pound DW. It exits a little nock right so I attribute the left flight to this. I have the same thing with my Darton so when it comes Late september I just move my sights. Haven't tried lighter arrow to see if it's any differnt though. the only thing that i think would remedy this is moving to mechanicals but I havn't experimented with this yet.
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

Post Thanks / Like

You sure your form is the same every time? i have seen guys change some when they practice with broadheads, i never could understand why.
    To me it sounds like you have a spine issue...You shouldnt have to line up your blades with the fletching, ever.
    Could just be your broadheads too. I have never been able to get muzzys to fly with my field points, ever, no matter what bow/arrow/ anything, I just couldnt.

Walk back tune your arrows with field points, 20, 40, 60. adjust so that they will all hit in the same vertical line. if your arrows cant there, then there is a spine issue for sure.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna have to go with trying a different BH. In my experience, the bow decides on the BH it likes. I was never able to get my bows to shoot Magnus or Muzzys. Then I switched bows and the muzzys shoot fine w a bit of tuning. Still couldn't get the Magnus to shoot. I can also shoot Wasp, Muzzy knock-offs from Wally World,NAP Nitron, CE cheapies,from the same bow grouping w my FP w minimal tuning. I'm using Slick Tricks now and they're the first heads that have shot w "field point accuracy" out of the package w no tuning required.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

I am shooting Carbon Express F-15's and they fly the same as my field points and no tuning required. If you have done all the tuning tips given to you and all you know. Like Hawg said you might have to try different ones.

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    MLN just buy a second bow one for target field points, and the other for Hunting broad heads!
    Come on you've got the bucks

Hutch
    I used to, not anymore.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I shot some more this weekend, and shot 3 different broadheads. Shuttle T locks, Slick Tricks, and Wasp Bullets. All 3 are impacting to the right of my FP groups. All 3 are getting good groups, just grouping right of the FP's every time. Tried moving the rest a little with all 3 BH's, and still no better. Tried shooting 125 gr. FP's as Destroyer suggested, and no difference. I always index the BH's with the fletchings when a build an arrow, so that's out too. All of the arrows are within 2 gr. variance. I'd think if it was a form issue, I wouldn't be holding as good of groups as I am. If it was a spine issue, I should have an ocasional flyer or something. None of this is happening. At 50 yards, I get 2 inch groups with both FP's and BH's. The two groups just happen to be about a foot apart at that distance. Think I am just gonna move the rest back so my FP's hit on the dot, and then readjust for BH's a few weeks before the hunt. Seems to be the simplest cure. lol Thanks again for the help guys!
    Last edited by Ehunter; 07-10-2011 at 12:13 PM.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.