Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Broadhead tuning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    Sometimes you have to find the right BH,really has nothing to do with your bow being in tune.Some fly better than others i know my muzzy mx3 fly with my field points where if i threw on some slick tricks i had and they wouldnt.
    So i would try a different BH if it were me.
    x2 I agree.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Speedy, AS,

I've tried 3 different BH's and they all group well and in the same place. Shuttle T's, Wasp bullets, and Slick Tricks. But with all 3 of the different BH's, I'm still not bringing my FP and BH groups together. Closest I can get is about 4 inches at 20 yards. That translates into 3 feet at 70 yards roughly. Vertically, I'm the same, but off on the horizontal. Shooting tight groups, no fliers or anything, just not hitting with my FP.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the spine seam is not on the bottom

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    Speedy, AS,

I've tried 3 different BH's and they all group well and in the same place. Shuttle T's, Wasp bullets, and Slick Tricks. But with all 3 of the different BH's, I'm still not bringing my FP and BH groups together. Closest I can get is about 4 inches at 20 yards. That translates into 3 feet at 70 yards roughly. Vertically, I'm the same, but off on the horizontal. Shooting tight groups, no fliers or anything, just not hitting with my FP.
    Forgot to mention this,if your shooting over 250fps you should use a smaller BH,im not sure what speed you have but thats something to think about,do you know what you FOC is!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing to keep in mind that it doesn't always work, one of the reasons that mechanical broadheads are so popular.

Having said that, I shot my bear mauler today with an old style broadhead and it grouped with the field points @ 30 yards without any adjustment. A bit low at 50 yards but still ok. The broadhead was 125 grains and the field point was only 100 grains. Yep makes perfect sense hey!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    One thing to keep in mind that it doesn't always work, one of the reasons that mechanical broadheads are so popular.

Having said that, I shot my bear mauler today with an old style broadhead and it grouped with the field points @ 30 yards without any adjustment. A bit low at 50 yards but still ok. The broadhead was 125 grains and the field point was only 100 grains. Yep makes perfect sense hey!

Did you make that BH yourself!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah they're called 'Tusker Spirits' and there very popular here. Nice and cheap and hold a good edge, look old timey though.

Post Thanks / Like

Son of a ....... I couldn't just leave it alone. Tore the bow down and started retuning. Paper tuned, and the arrow is so far inside that's it's ridiculous. Shooting bullet holes, but the arrow is at a very visible angle across the riser window. Front of the arrow is straight above the inside of the grip. So now I'm gonna scrap that, and go to vertical and horizontal tuning, then do my walkback tuning. Thank God I have until Oct. lol
    BSD strings and cables

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a tip from Sonny T
    Originally Posted by SonnyThomas
    Before setting center shot! Back off the SOS, STS or whatever they call them. Don't even have them close to the string.

Had a bow come that wasn't flying arrows right. So I took a look, fired a shot, and sure enough something wasn't right. Looked at center shot and it didn't look right. The guy said he had just set it. So I noted the bow string right on the SOS and off center on SOS. So I moved the SOS forward and took another look at center shot. It was different, still not right, but different than it was before. So I set center shot. I then moved the SOS within about .040" of the string and I also center the SOS to the center. Took two shots to hit the bull's a little better and a couple more to refine the sight to hit the X. Customer was happy.

So evidently the owner had set center shot with the SOS pushing the string slightly off center. Too dang hot I closed the shop at 1:00 pm

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Hutch, I'll give it a try. This FC400 is making me feel like I've never tuned a bow before.
    BSD strings and cables