Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just about done setting this bow up, need HELP!

Post Thanks / Like

Question Just about done setting this bow up, need HELP!

Well I purchased this old new stock 03 Cougar III Magnum in mint condition never had been setup. I have cleaned the cam grooves and the axles, put on a new string, and tried setting up the ATA and BH. The specs from the 'O3 catalog call for a 36-1/2" ATA and a 6-7/8" BH, the bow came set at 30" draw I have replaced the F-6 mod with a F-7 mod to get a 31" DL and have tried every twist and turn of cable and string and cannot get a 36-1/2" ATA the best I was able to produce was a 36-1/4" ATA but this created a 6-1/8" BH.

So then I sought to get the BH to spec and got 6-7/8" BH but this yielded a 35-7/8" ATA. I am just about done and I am thinking to leave it here if this is not a problem. Anyone have a take on this?

The limbs are Magnum limbs 14" 5M the max poundage of the Bow is 70.
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What does the bottom Limb sticker say it is supposed to be for shoot and cable?
    What I just learned from archerx7 is what ever that sticker say is what it should be. Some times martin doesn't have the correct specs on their site.
    Also a draw weight scale, would show you if you have the right dw. The max you should have is 72-73lbs. This would show you if the cable and string are close.
    My bow is a little under the correct ATA but every thing else is perfect.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Label says....

Weight 55-70#
    Letoff HL
    String 94"
    Cable 39"
    Draw 30"

There are no ATA or BH specs on the label....the string was made to spec. My concern is whether or not having the correct ATA measurement will affect the limbs or cause the bow to explode or something??? The new string and cable are astro flight which haven't shown any give. Maybe the original spec included a 1/4" of give for stretch. I don't know. This stuff hasn't moved a 1/16th.
    The catalog and module spec sheet from Martin all show ATA 36-1/2" and BH 6-7/8" and I can't get near the ATA but by a 1/4" and that is with a crazy BH 6-1/8".

I wish I knew what Martin considered setup tolerances; plus or minus whatever?

The Bow was assembled by Steve Papp, wonder if he is still around
    Last edited by peace; 07-09-2011 at 06:31 AM.

I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.

Post Thanks / Like

So then I sought to get the BH to spec and got 6-7/8" BH but this yielded a 35-7/8" ATA. I am just about done and I am thinking to leave it here if this is not a problem. Anyone have a take on this?

That is what I would do ...as long as the cam is setting good it shoots good draw lt fits etc...I would leave it alone,I can never seem to get my bows right on the specs close ..I think, they take into account when designing a bow that they will not always be in spec and as a safety measure allow for that ..I think you would be ok..but, maybe someone more qualified will post....

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks for the insight ftshooter as I am just trying to get some sort of understanding. I think I am just going to let the bow speak and whatever she says that is where I will leave her.

Post Thanks / Like

Specs are there to get you close. Most pro shooters dont even have their bows exactly to spec. They find that their particular bow performs better with a slightly longer BH, or a slightly longer A2A. It doesnt have to be perfect...Now if everything was off by a couple inches, then I would be concerned.
    I personally dont shoot any of my bows at the specs from the factory.
    Stop worrying about it, and enjoy the bow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-the-snake View Post
    Specs are there to get you close. Most pro shooters dont even have their bows exactly to spec. They find that their particular bow performs better with a slightly longer BH, or a slightly longer A2A. It doesnt have to be perfect...Now if everything was off by a couple inches, then I would be concerned.
    I personally dont shoot any of my bows at the specs from the factory.
    Stop worrying about it, and enjoy the bow.
    Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear!

Post Thanks / Like

Is your bow setup with the Dyna cam? If so, it should be one smooootthhh killer. Ive only ever shot one bow, one time, with that cam. Thought it was the best single cam offering at the time.

Man law: We need pics

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-the-snake View Post
    Is your bow setup with the Dyna cam? If so, it should be one smooootthhh killer. Ive only ever shot one bow, one time, with that cam. Thought it was the best single cam offering at the time.

Man law: We need pics
    No its got the one previous but similar, the Fuzion. Still the bow shoots dead in my hand, the draw could be better but the shot is excellent, no vibration, no noise, no jump.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peace View Post
    No its got the one previous but similar, the Fuzion. Still the bow shoots dead in my hand, the draw could be better but the shot is excellent, no vibration, no noise, no jump.
    About the draw...by far the stiffest i have ever felt in a single cam. i couldnt pull my dad's back when he had a Rage. That thing was crazy fast and quiet though...