Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: New member, new martin owner, new headache!!!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like

    Unhappy New member, new martin owner, new headache!!!

    Hey all. A big HELLO from NY!! This is my first post on this forum. I recently bought a rarely used Martin Slayer Extreme '08 model with the CAT cams. The previous owner shot it a few times, had the original limbs break on him and Martin replaced the limbs for him. He got the bow back, took a few shots with the "improved" limbs and didn't like it so it sat all the way up until last week. I bought it as a bare bow from him thinking this would be a decent bow to use for possibly 3D shoots or even as a back up bow ... well .... I took it into the local pro shop to have it setup and I even called Martin and talked to a Joel about these "improved" limbs as I became aware of the limb problems Martin has on another forum. I was assured from Martin that the "improved" limbs were much better than the originals and the bow should be a joy to shoot!! I got the bow back from having a QAD HD Hunter drop away rest installed, limb savers installed, Sword AccuSight and a S coil installed and got it home and fell in love with the bow!!! For 30 shots anyways .... I heard a very weird noise on the 30th shot, almost like a "PWANNNNGGGGGGG" and I stopped shooting it as I thought something may have come loose like the sights or something. I looked it over carefully only to find the top limb had shattered!!! It is literally cracked in 10-15 places which I can see and although it's still 100% intact, I'm not so sure what to do with this bow!! Is it worth even calling Joel again to tell him that the "improved" limbs have failed even though I'm not the original purchaser? Should I just sell it as a parts bow and take my losses and forever steer clear of Martin bows? I'm really at a loss. A member from the other Forum that I belong to, pointed me to this forum about this bow prior to shooting it yesterday. I should have maybe done more research on this bow ... the pains of being fairly new to something!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NY_Bowhunter View Post
    Hey all. A big HELLO from NY!! This is my first post on this forum. I recently bought a rarely used Martin Slayer Extreme '08 model with the CAT cams. The previous owner shot it a few times, had the original limbs break on him and Martin replaced the limbs for him. He got the bow back, took a few shots with the "improved" limbs and didn't like it so it sat all the way up until last week. I bought it as a bare bow from him thinking this would be a decent bow to use for possibly 3D shoots or even as a back up bow ... well .... I took it into the local pro shop to have it setup and I even called Martin and talked to a Joel about these "improved" limbs as I became aware of the limb problems Martin has on another forum. I was assured from Martin that the "improved" limbs were much better than the originals and the bow should be a joy to shoot!! I got the bow back from having a QAD HD Hunter drop away I heard a very weird noise on the 30th shot, almost like a "PWANNNNGGGGGGG" and I stopped shooting it as I thought something may have come loose like the sights or something. I looked it over carefully only to find the top limb had shattered!!! It is literally cracked in 10-15 places which I can see and although it's still 100% intact, I'm not so sure what to do with this bow!! Is it worth even calling Joel again to tell him that the "improved" limbs have failed even though I'm not the original purchaser? Should I just sell it as a parts bow and take my losses and forever steer clear of Martin bows? I'm really at a loss. A member from the other Forum that I belong to, pointed me to this forum about this bow prior to shooting it yesterday. I should have maybe done more research on this bow ... the pains of being fairly new to something!!
    LOL I actually replied to your thread on AT, Makaveli is my name over there. anyways, Im sure Martin will hook you up. My understanding is your improved limbs were from '09...they also had a high failure raite that year. If it were me, I would get the new limbs, ditch the cat cams, as they are way to aggressive for the pocket angles and the limb preload. try to find a set of the older nitrous cams, or a single cam set. They would be easier on the bow, and probably even smoother to shoot.

    Or just tear it apart, ditch the limbs, and sell everything.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake-the-snake View Post
    LOL I actually replied to your thread on AT, Makaveli is my name over there. anyways, Im sure Martin will hook you up. My understanding is your improved limbs were from '09...they also had a high failure raite that year. If it were me, I would get the new limbs, ditch the cat cams, as they are way to aggressive for the pocket angles and the limb preload. try to find a set of the older nitrous cams, or a single cam set. They would be easier on the bow, and probably even smoother to shoot.

    Or just tear it apart, ditch the limbs, and sell everything.
    Small Internet!!! LOL ... I figured I may get some more insight into the Martin world over here. I'd probably be further ahead just getting a different bow then ya think? I mean, I have the 2011 Bear Carnage which I love, but this Martin was a pretty stout bow for the short time it survived. The CAT cams are too aggressive? No wonder the IBO rating is what it is on the Slayer X!!! Any ideas where I might find these Nitrous Cams at a reasonable price? Again, this isn't my main bow, so I don't wanna put more $$$ into it than it's worth .... not to mention I'm no guru with building bows let alone setting one up myself yet, so everything would have to be done at the local shop.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NY_Bowhunter View Post
    Small Internet!!! LOL ... I figured I may get some more insight into the Martin world over here. I'd probably be further ahead just getting a different bow then ya think? I mean, I have the 2011 Bear Carnage which I love, but this Martin was a pretty stout bow for the short time it survived. The CAT cams are too aggressive? No wonder the IBO rating is what it is on the Slayer X!!! Any ideas where I might find these Nitrous Cams at a reasonable price? Again, this isn't my main bow, so I don't wanna put more $$$ into it than it's worth .... not to mention I'm no guru with building bows let alone setting one up myself yet, so everything would have to be done at the local shop.
    They dont make the Nitrous cams anymore. They are like GOLD now to most martin lovers. Your best bet is to just sell the parts then, get your money's worth, and put it towards some equipment or arrows. That is just what I would do. Unless you wanna give the new 2011 limbs a try. I havnt heard anything go wrong with them yet.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,499
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Welcome to the forum NY_Bowhunter!

    Can you post a photo? If they are the 2011 solids I would be surprised that they failed since that was the whole idea for making them. If they are any older then I'm not surprised.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake-the-snake View Post
    Unless you wanna give the new 2011 limbs a try. I havnt heard anything go wrong with them yet.

    ..... 2011 hunting season hasn't hit yet either. LMAO!!!! I was really looking forward to having a Martin ... well ... at least one that is useable!! Oh well ... live and learn I guess.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Welcome to the forum NY_Bowhunter!

    Can you post a photo? If they are the 2011 solids I would be surprised that they failed since that was the whole idea for making them. If they are any older then I'm not surprised.
    Thanks for the welcome Destroyer!! I'll get some pics up later today as it's 3:35am right now. I'm not sure my camera will pick up the cracks but I can assure you, these are not 2011 limbs. I just got the bow from the original owner last week and he had the limbs replaced in 2009 shortly after buying this bow as a leftover in Feb of 2009.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Speedykills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,008
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If it were me i would see if i could get it warrenty and get new limbs,even if you had to pay for labor,then at least if you sold it,you would get more money for it.

  9. #9
    String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gilmanton, New Hampshire
    Posts
    5,786
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    If it were me i would see if i could get it warrenty and get new limbs,even if you had to pay for labor,then at least if you sold it,you would get more money for it.
    I agree with Speedykills.
    BTW, Welcome NY_Bowhunter! I am Deer Eliminator over on AT.




    Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    108
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So when does the season open in NY? They have yet to update their web site for the 2011 season. I did see the B.S. that an archer would have to take an 8 hour course befor getting a tag. How stupid is that. Yet they will give any jack *** with a shot gun a tag for the Southern Teir. I was thinking about going back home in October. I know where ther are a bunch of orchards, and one is in my brothers back yard. I might not even need a tag, I won't have the leave the family property to bag a white tail.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •