Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New member, new martin owner, new headache!!!

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the forum. I have the same username on all the forums. Less confusing for me when I log in. Lol.
    I've got an idea for those cat cams...
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    So when does the season open in NY? They have yet to update their web site for the 2011 season. I did see the B.S. that an archer would have to take an 8 hour course befor getting a tag. How stupid is that. Yet they will give any jack *** with a shot gun a tag for the Southern Teir. I was thinking about going back home in October. I know where ther are a bunch of orchards, and one is in my brothers back yard. I might not even need a tag, I won't have the leave the family property to bag a white tail.
    I am surrounded by apple orchards!!! The 8 hour is the training required for one to get the bow license. You only have to take the course once. They are allowing crossbows this year which is BS in my book. The reasoning behind the crossbow is that those crybabies in the Southern tier are crying about the shotgun noise!! So ... bring in the crossbow!!! The way I see it, if you can pull back 150-180lbs, you can shoot a bow ... if you can pull a trigger, you can shoot a gun!!! NYS is dragging their feet as far as the new regulations goes. I know they are only giving archery season 5 days!! (at least that's what they are pushing for from what I've heard thus far) I've also heard that they want to give out only ONE tag regardless if you have, bow, muzzle loading, crossbow, or rifle. So do you really think I'm forking over over $100 again this year for the super sportsman if I'm only allowed to have ONE tag?? LOL I really don't like NY.

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    welcome to the forum. I have the same username on all the forums. Less confusing for me when I log in. Lol.
    I've got an idea for those cat cams...
    Thanks for the welcome!!! Now ... about this idea of yours ........................................

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    If it were me i would see if i could get it warrenty and get new limbs,even if you had to pay for labor,then at least if you sold it,you would get more money for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    I agree with Speedykills.
    BTW, Welcome NY_Bowhunter! I am Deer Eliminator over on AT.

Hutch
    Thanks for the welcome Hutch! I'll see about the warranty as Speedykills, yourself and others have suggested. It was actually Speedykills that had informed me of this site!! Thanks Speedy!! I'm finding alot of great info on here about Martin bows as well as other info in general. Another great forum!!

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to MTF.forsure call martin andd see if the will ship you the limbs and just for the sake of learning how to st up a bow i wpuld popst a new thred on how do i set this bow up.we can walk you through it step by step.then you would have a chance to learn a bit about bow set up even if it does not work out on your end.then you would have new limbs among other parts to sell if you cant get it down.rember it is a learning process.i started out gree twords the end of last year and with the help of these great guys on here i can tare my bow down and put it back together.keep in mind you do not need a bow press to tare it down so all the work can be dne at your house.if anythig you will learn more about bows and if all elses fails your going to have new limbs to sell aswell to increse soem of your money if you part it out.the way i see it its a win win

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravediggermtv View Post
    welcome to MTF.forsure call martin andd see if the will ship you the limbs and just for the sake of learning how to st up a bow i wpuld popst a new thred on how do i set this bow up.we can walk you through it step by step.then you would have a chance to learn a bit about bow set up even if it does not work out on your end.then you would have new limbs among other parts to sell if you cant get it down.rember it is a learning process.i started out gree twords the end of last year and with the help of these great guys on here i can tare my bow down and put it back together.keep in mind you do not need a bow press to tare it down so all the work can be dne at your house.if anythig you will learn more about bows and if all elses fails your going to have new limbs to sell aswell to increse soem of your money if you part it out.the way i see it its a win win
    I really don't need a press to take this bow apart? What about the pressure on the string and cables and such? Maybe starting a new thread on how to tear down a Slayer X is in order. I'm going to try Martin tomorrow to see if I can get new limbs. I can't believe the cams are too aggressive, but you people would definitely know better than I!! I've had the Hoyt's with cam&1/2 and those seemed pretty aggressive, but I never had one problem. Does anyone know why Martin has problems with the limbs? Is it the materials used? Just a bad design? Would this bow hold together with new limbs or is it a lost cause due to the nature of the cams? I'm really torn on whether to completely give up on this bow and all Martin bows based on the problems I see on this and the other forum or try new limbs and hope I have this little beast for many years. I really did like the feel of the bow in general. even with the heavier weight than my Hoyt's, PSE's and Bear bows, it just plain felt good and was fun to shoot. The thought of making "my own" bow is starting to sound better to me, but then the thought of the cost to get all of the parts like cams, liimbs (if not covered by Martin) and such brings reality back as far as what could I own with the same amount of money spent. Decisions, Decisions .....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NY_Bowhunter View Post
    I am surrounded by apple orchards!!! The 8 hour is the training required for one to get the bow license. You only have to take the course once. They are allowing crossbows this year which is BS in my book. The reasoning behind the crossbow is that those crybabies in the Southern tier are crying about the shotgun noise!! So ... bring in the crossbow!!! The way I see it, if you can pull back 150-180lbs, you can shoot a bow ... if you can pull a trigger, you can shoot a gun!!! NYS is dragging their feet as far as the new regulations goes. I know they are only giving archery season 5 days!! (at least that's what they are pushing for from what I've heard thus far) I've also heard that they want to give out only ONE tag regardless if you have, bow, muzzle loading, crossbow, or rifle. So do you really think I'm forking over over $100 again this year for the super sportsman if I'm only allowed to have ONE tag?? LOL I really don't like NY.
    First, welcome to the forum. Glad to see another NYer here. From the sound of your post, you must be in the northern zone somewhere.
    Second, here is a link about the crossbow http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_...ossbowform.pdf I don't agree with the way NY handled the crossbow situation. They figure everyone that hunts will want to use a cross bow and they planned on the sales tax revenue from the bow sales of all the crossbows which would be sold. Then since they stuck the crossbow in regular season, as well as muzzleloader season, they figured they would get more people to buy the muzzleloader season tags. I had a copy of the draft of this, but let my father read it, so I can't give you the actual figures they were using.
    Third, so take the pressure off your sting to work on the bow without a press, turn the limb bolts out until you can see the end of the bolt in the barrel nut on the riser. Make sure you back the bolts out evenly 2-3 turns on top, then 2-3 turns on the bottom. Keep them even until you are backed out that you can see the end of the bolt and you should be able to just slip the string off and do you work.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Money Man View Post
    First, welcome to the forum. Glad to see another NYer here. From the sound of your post, you must be in the northern zone somewhere.
    Second, here is a link about the crossbow http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_...ossbowform.pdf I don't agree with the way NY handled the crossbow situation. They figure everyone that hunts will want to use a cross bow and they planned on the sales tax revenue from the bow sales of all the crossbows which would be sold. Then since they stuck the crossbow in regular season, as well as muzzleloader season, they figured they would get more people to buy the muzzleloader season tags. I had a copy of the draft of this, but let my father read it, so I can't give you the actual figures they were using.
    Third, so take the pressure off your sting to work on the bow without a press, turn the limb bolts out until you can see the end of the bolt in the barrel nut on the riser. Make sure you back the bolts out evenly 2-3 turns on top, then 2-3 turns on the bottom. Keep them even until you are backed out that you can see the end of the bolt and you should be able to just slip the string off and do you work.
    Thanks Money Man!! I actually live right on the Northern/Southern zone boundary. I walk across the road and I'm in Northern zone, go back home and I'm in Southern Zone. LOL I totally agree about the crossbow deal. Not good for many reasons!! I know a few people who have bought them as they think it's a novelty item. I can see alot of injuries coming in the next hunting season. I do hope that's not the case but seeing people treat the crossbow as a toy isn't speaking well of what's to come. Anyways, I appreciate the info on the limb bolts and I'm gonna tear me down a Martin in a few minutes!!! If nothing else, with the help from the members here, I'll at least learn alittle more about this particular bow!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well ... it's apart!! LOL That didn't take long and simple as could be!! I did find the bottom limb was also cracked where the limb bolt contacts the limb so both limbs are done. Here's a weird thing though. Upon removal of the limbs, I found 13" and 8/08 on the limbs. Were the originals replaced with another set of limbs from 08??? I suppose it's possible that these aren't really "upgraded" limbs afterall but merely another set of '08 limbs which may have been sent out to replace the originals. I only wish I knew more about bows so I could come up with a combination that would make this one sweet and RELIABLE bow!! One person had mentioned 14" limbs and going with Nitrous B or Nitrous C cams .... if I did do something like that, providing that Martin won't send out another set of limbs, would someone here know the length of the cables and string to accomplish this? Look at this .... not even a member for 24 hours and tearing a bow apart!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Martin Tech forum NY_Bowhunter!!!
    If I'm not mistaken, those are 2008 limbs that you have. Martin is making the square ended limbs for 2011, because I just got my limbs replaced on my 2007 Jaguar. I don't know if they changed anything or not, but so far so good, even though I haven't shot much.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow Splitter View Post
    Welcome to the Martin Tech forum NY_Bowhunter!!!
    If I'm not mistaken, those are 2008 limbs that you have. Martin is making the square ended limbs for 2011, because I just got my limbs replaced on my 2007 Jaguar. I don't know if they changed anything or not, but so far so good, even though I haven't shot much.

A.S
    Thanks for the info and the welcome Arrow Splitter! I'll check in with Martin tomorrow and see what if anything they can do. Does your bow happen to have the CAT cams? They seem to be the source of the problem at least for this bow and it's limb problems. Did your replacement limbs require the use of plastic washers or spacers?