Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New member, new martin owner, new headache!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NY_Bowhunter View Post
    Thanks for the info and the welcome Arrow Splitter! I'll check in with Martin tomorrow and see what if anything they can do. Does your bow happen to have the CAT cams? They seem to be the source of the problem at least for this bow and it's limb problems. Did your replacement limbs require the use of plastic washers or spacers?
    No, I have a Dyna single cam, and I don't need washers or spacers.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, I'm a newbie myself and hoping I don't run into the same crapola you did as I just bought a used Martin that was made in '09. I haven't had a chance to shoot it a lot yet but the guy I bought it from has shot it a ton since he bought it in '09. Hopefully my bow stands up a bit nicer than the reputation I've read about with some of these bows.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    So when does the season open in NY? They have yet to update their web site for the 2011 season. I did see the B.S. that an archer would have to take an 8 hour course befor getting a tag. How stupid is that. Yet they will give any jack *** with a shot gun a tag for the Southern Teir. I was thinking about going back home in October. I know where ther are a bunch of orchards, and one is in my brothers back yard. I might not even need a tag, I won't have the leave the family property to bag a white tail.
    Same as always. Early Archery is October 15th in Southern Zone, Regular Season opens the Saturday before Thanksgiving in the Southern Zone. The 8 hour Bowhunter's Safety course has been around for a long, long, time. Its nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by NY_Bowhunter View Post
    I am surrounded by apple orchards!!! The 8 hour is the training required for one to get the bow license. You only have to take the course once. They are allowing crossbows this year which is BS in my book. The reasoning behind the crossbow is that those crybabies in the Southern tier are crying about the shotgun noise!! So ... bring in the crossbow!!! The way I see it, if you can pull back 150-180lbs, you can shoot a bow ... if you can pull a trigger, you can shoot a gun!!! NYS is dragging their feet as far as the new regulations goes. I know they are only giving archery season 5 days!! (at least that's what they are pushing for from what I've heard thus far) I've also heard that they want to give out only ONE tag regardless if you have, bow, muzzle loading, crossbow, or rifle. So do you really think I'm forking over over $100 again this year for the super sportsman if I'm only allowed to have ONE tag?? LOL I really don't like NY.

Thanks for the welcome!!! Now ... about this idea of yours ........................................
    Crossbows are being legalized because enough hunters in New York State wanted them to be legalized. Even though NY can do nothing right with our taxes and its spending, I have to say when it comes to DEC's efforts to do what sportsmen and women ask for, they have a great track record in most cases. They started the antler restriction program because hunters in those areas asked for them. Not because they decided it was best for the deer herds. In actuality, DEC does not believe that the health of the deer herd or hunter success is related to antler restrictions at all. A majority of hunters wanted it so DEC worked to give it to them. NY Bowhunters, Inc. has been pushing to have the Southern Zone early archery season open on October 1 and DEC is working to make that so with the current Deer Management Plan they have spent over 5 years developing.

Keep in mind that NY Bowhunters, Inc. have put out a ton and then some of bad information as well as outright lies. Besides Oregon, New York is the only state that does not allow crossbows to be used as a hunting implement in at least one season. Most of the states allow its use during the archery season with no ill effects towards hunting success, deer numbers, and all the other garbage NYB wants you to believe. As far as the statement, "If you can pull 150 pounds you can pull a bow" that is real ignorant talk there. Guys like my uncle who has a bad shoulder his whole life and could never pull a bow at all lost out when the crossbow was not allowed to be used during the early archery season in the southern zone. NY Bowhunters, Inc. have a very "its my way or the highway" attitude and what the current members do not realize or were not even born yet to experience is that back in the 1950's and 60's when compound bows first became popular, NY Bowhunters, Inc. was the first group to come out AGAINST them and try to keep them from being used. The current crop is doing the same thing now. Bottom line, crossbows do not make you a better hunter and do not lead to more deer harvested. You still get the same number of tags and you still have to shoot straight, practice and put the arrow where it belongs. If you look at the physics behind a crossbow, the limbs are half the length of a compound bow which is why the draw weight is doubled or more to achieve the same kinetic energy to deliver a bolt at speeds very similar to compounds. Crossbows don't shoot any faster, any farther, or any more accurately than a compound can. You still have to master the equipment and practice constantly.

DEC's deer management plan is also being scrutinized and a lot of misinformation is being spread again by NY Bowhunters and other sportsman's groups who want what THEY want to happen and make the decisions for all of New York. Between NY Outdoor News and NY Bowhunters there are more lies than facts being circulated around NY. Public comments are welcome by DEC through July and anything that they propose has to be voted on, signed into law, and won't go into effect for the 2011-2012 Hunting Season.

Yes I teach Hunter's Ed and Bowhunter's Ed for DEC and yes I am satisfied with how they manage the State's deer populations.
    Treestands Don't Nag
    Treestands Don't Complain
    Treestands Simply Ask You to Sit and Listen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LIbowhunter View Post
    Welcome, I'm a newbie myself and hoping I don't run into the same crapola you did as I just bought a used Martin that was made in '09. I haven't had a chance to shoot it a lot yet but the guy I bought it from has shot it a ton since he bought it in '09. Hopefully my bow stands up a bit nicer than the reputation I've read about with some of these bows.

Same as always. Early Archery is October 15th in Southern Zone, Regular Season opens the Saturday before Thanksgiving in the Southern Zone. The 8 hour Bowhunter's Safety course has been around for a long, long, time. Its nothing new.

Crossbows are being legalized because enough hunters in New York State wanted them to be legalized. Even though NY can do nothing right with our taxes and its spending, I have to say when it comes to DEC's efforts to do what sportsmen and women ask for, they have a great track record in most cases. They started the antler restriction program because hunters in those areas asked for them. Not because they decided it was best for the deer herds. In actuality, DEC does not believe that the health of the deer herd or hunter success is related to antler restrictions at all. A majority of hunters wanted it so DEC worked to give it to them. NY Bowhunters, Inc. has been pushing to have the Southern Zone early archery season open on October 1 and DEC is working to make that so with the current Deer Management Plan they have spent over 5 years developing.

Keep in mind that NY Bowhunters, Inc. have put out a ton and then some of bad information as well as outright lies. Besides Oregon, New York is the only state that does not allow crossbows to be used as a hunting implement in at least one season. Most of the states allow its use during the archery season with no ill effects towards hunting success, deer numbers, and all the other garbage NYB wants you to believe. As far as the statement, "If you can pull 150 pounds you can pull a bow" that is real ignorant talk there. Guys like my uncle who has a bad shoulder his whole life and could never pull a bow at all lost out when the crossbow was not allowed to be used during the early archery season in the southern zone. NY Bowhunters, Inc. have a very "its my way or the highway" attitude and what the current members do not realize or were not even born yet to experience is that back in the 1950's and 60's when compound bows first became popular, NY Bowhunters, Inc. was the first group to come out AGAINST them and try to keep them from being used. The current crop is doing the same thing now. Bottom line, crossbows do not make you a better hunter and do not lead to more deer harvested. You still get the same number of tags and you still have to shoot straight, practice and put the arrow where it belongs. If you look at the physics behind a crossbow, the limbs are half the length of a compound bow which is why the draw weight is doubled or more to achieve the same kinetic energy to deliver a bolt at speeds very similar to compounds. Crossbows don't shoot any faster, any farther, or any more accurately than a compound can. You still have to master the equipment and practice constantly.

DEC's deer management plan is also being scrutinized and a lot of misinformation is being spread again by NY Bowhunters and other sportsman's groups who want what THEY want to happen and make the decisions for all of New York. Between NY Outdoor News and NY Bowhunters there are more lies than facts being circulated around NY. Public comments are welcome by DEC through July and anything that they propose has to be voted on, signed into law, and won't go into effect for the 2011-2012 Hunting Season.

Yes I teach Hunter's Ed and Bowhunter's Ed for DEC and yes I am satisfied with how they manage the State's deer populations.
    Thanks for the welcome!!! Opening day is the last week in Sept ... I think opening day was the 27th of September last year. DEC is not on many hunters good list. I've never heard of any bowhunters organization that you mention but I will tell you that NYS DEC has gone BAD since you wanna go there!! (4 of my family members work for the NYS DEC by the way, and not a ONE of them are happy with what has happened within the DEC in the past 5 years!!) I won't go on and on about what the DEC has done in just the last year, but since you work for DEC ... you know. This thread is not about NYS DEC nor is it one for someone from DEC to bash a group of hunters as you have. I'm free to make up my own mind on what is fact and what is fiction, but not having heard of the publication or hunter organization you mention ... I think you need to chill abit. Sure there was a few questions in this thread about when the season starts and crossbows and just chitter chatter ... where does someone from NYS DEC get off bashing hunters or their organizations??? ... and here I thought that DEC was suppose to work WITH the hunters to have a positive affect on the population of the animals and the hunting experience as a whole here in this state!!! I'm sorry to hear about your Uncle's bad shoulder and how he can't pull back a bow but I do have one question ... how can he pull back the crossbow if he can't handle 40lbs of a bow? 150+ lbs outta be real fun for him. I do realize there are cranks and such to actually aide in this by the way. Why don't you think BEFORE you talk. What is wrong with what I said? When I made that statement about the 150lb pull, I was referring to those that are HEALTHY buying crossbows and all of the excuses I've heard fromTHEM as reasons to buy one. Lots of misinformation?? I will agree on that as well as alot of ASSUMING on your part sir!!!! As for the July deadline for suggestions .... July what?? It's July now!!! 2 months away from opening day for bowhunting and we STILL don't have the 2011-2012 dates or regulations in place do we?? I'll be sure to include this thread when I do submit my suggestions to DEC and see what they think about the public image they repeatedly put forth for all to see. Now I guess all of this forum can see what we hunters have to deal with in NYS!!! Congrats on embarrassing us fellow NY'ers. Oh one more thing since you're on the crossbow band wagon which I'm really not for or against 100% at this point, a crossbow has been legal in NYS for many years!! It has been allowed for those with disabilities it also had to have a breath operated trigger!! So please, let's not get into a pi$$ing match over something that really has nothing to do with this thread. I thoroughly enjoy hunting, I really enjoy bowhunting, fishing and many other outdoor activities here in NYS. I find it a true privilege to belong to 4 Rod & Gun clubs and have a place to shoot my guns as well as my children having a place to learn to SAFELY operate a firearm and participate in .22 shoots on a regular basis. I also find it a privilege to have places to launch my boat and go fishing with the family. I do NOT however find it a privilege to have someone from NYS DEC play the "I'm better than thou" BS and try to embarrass me either on the internet or in person when they don't know what they're talking about. If I'm in the wrong, I have NO problem admitting I'm wrong ..... I'm not wrong in this case sir. Have a great day. (I am now going to ask a Mod to please close this thread as I don't want this getting out of control. I want this forum and all forums I visit and frequent to be a place to talk to others, get much needed info and just plain have a good time and meet new people as it should be.)
    Last edited by NY_Bowhunter; 07-10-2011 at 02:56 PM.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread is going to be closed.
    The reason I am closing it is; it went off topic and became a matter of 2 different opinions. Before it gets heated its time to move on.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com