Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Martin Panther Magnum

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old Martin Panther Magnum

Recently wanted to get back in to Bow Hunting and pulled out my old Magnum. The draw length is too short for me now and everything needs adjusted. I just wanted to see if there was a way to adjust the draw length without buying new cams?

This bow has been in the case for about 5 years and i also wanted to know if there was anything I should check before trying to shoot it. The strings look good still, but i dont really know what im looking for.

Any help?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know the bow, so I can't help with the DL, but regarding the strings, it is not the string material you have to worry about, it is the servings, especially where the string sits on the posts on the cams. These may be OK now, but after a few shots they may start to fray. Find out about the cams first, if you can get the bow where you want it, consider a set of cables and a string at the same time.

Good luck with the bow.
    Dedicated Finger Shooter.

Shadowcat(s) with Barnsdale limbs: Davis The System, Free Flyte rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Might be a dumb question, but you said Cables and strings?

by strings you mean servings?

Here is a quick pic from the web. I'll take a better pic when I get home. There are 3 pins on the bottom CAM that the cable can hook around. Its set on Pin 1 right now.

panm.jpg
    Last edited by kris77; 07-11-2011 at 06:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!! Pictures would help us determine how to change the draw length your bow.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

By string, I mean the multistrand string that you put your arrow on, the servings are the thinner strands wrapped around the string and cables top and bottom (to secure the loop) and also in the middle where the arrow nocks on.

Just had a look on the Martin web site and that picture is the bow I found in the 2001 catalogue.

I'll go and look for some technical details.

Do you know what Draw Length you need?
    Last edited by NeilMac; 07-11-2011 at 07:20 AM.
    Dedicated Finger Shooter.

Shadowcat(s) with Barnsdale limbs: Davis The System, Free Flyte rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah single Cam.

Im familiar with the servings, I just didnt understand when you said cable and string. Always thought the 2 to be the same.

Post Thanks / Like

To change the draw length, you simply replace the black module that is in the cam. On the module will be a marking starting with F(for example, F-5). I'll try to find the module chart for your bow. If you only need to increase or decrease the draw length by a 1/2", move the string to a different peg. Peg 1 is a 1/2" longer than what the module is, and peg 3 is a 1\2" shorter. Peg 2 is whatever the module is.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows

Post Thanks / Like

f-1 f-2 f-3 f-4 - f-6 f-7
    26" 27" 28" 29" 30" 31"

The F5 module is not used in your bow.
    Last edited by Arrow Splitter; 07-11-2011 at 07:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

That makes sense.

My draw length is 28.5. The string is set on peg 1. I have a 1/2" loop and the draw length is still about a 1" too short.

So I will probably have to replace the module since its already on peg 1 right?

I probably have a F-1 or F-2 in there now. Like i said, i'll have to wait till I get home to check it out.

Real helpful. Thanks.

If i do need a different module, where would be a good place to try and find one for that old of a bow?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kris77 View Post
    That makes sense.

My draw length is 28.5. The string is set on peg 1. I have a 1/2" loop and the draw length is still about a 1" too short.

So I will probably have to replace the module since its already on peg 1 right?

I probably have a F-1 or F-2 in there now. Like i said, i'll have to wait till I get home to check it out.

Real helpful. Thanks.

If i do need a different module, where would be a good place to try and find one for that old of a bow?
    Clarification: A loop will not change your draw length, it only changes how you anchor.

Yes, you will have to change the module since the draw length is still short.

To get a module, just go to your nearest Martin dealer, and they should be able to change the module to the one you need, and probably for free.
    Those modules are still being made, and are even in the 2011 Martin Accutrak cam.