Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quick Peep Survey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    I hear ya, Barry. I had a Papeep to begin with and sort of lost track of if they were still in business, joined with another archery company or got bought out.
    SureZPeep (Plastic. Yeck.) I have on the wall along with a hand full of Fletchers. most 1/8" and smaller - just a great all round peep and low cost. In fact, I have a Fletchers target peep in my ProElite.

Color! Wow! Forgot. Not the color of the peep, but the color of the string. The bright green and black strings on my Shadowcat, I was having this terrible problem, like I couldn't center up. What it was, was the bright green messing with my brain. Took a black felt pen to the string and problem went away.
    Thanks Sonny. I never gave the string color a thought. All these years and I'm still learning something new on a continuing basis. You know, maybe there's something to having just plain old black strings afterall.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    no peep now. but when I did use one it was g5 meta 1/4" or 3/16. Never did find a size that perfectly outline my front sight housing because of my short draw length, and severe angle of the string on the 30" ata exile. I'm loving no peep now, more accurate then ever now.
    For those of us who prefer a peep this is one of the advantages of the Specialty peeps. You can get a 3D kit that has several different apertures from about 3/64" up to 3/16". Then without an aperture it's 1/4" if you get the 1/4" ball peep to start with. Another thing that comes to mind is that you can get a ball peep with a 37 degree angle vs the normal 45 degree one. Just some info in case you ever decide to use a peep again. Another option might be the Predator's View peep.

I don't know who ever started this idea that the sight guard has to be enveloped by the peep, but it's not necessarily a must. Years ago I did some of my best shooting with a 6X scope and a 1/32" peep that didn't show much more than the dot in the scope. Of course it wasn't very practical for bowhunting because not much light passed through it, but for field and indoor target it was a dream. The whole idea of encircling the sight guard is to ensure that you are anchored in the right place. Well, with a 1/32" peep there is little doubt.

I don't buy the idea that it shows whether you are torquing the bow. Either your form is good or it isn't. Either the draw length is set up right or it isn't. Just like people saying that to set peep height correctly you draw the bow, anchor and open your eyes and the peep should be right there. That is only correct if the bow's draw length is correct in the first place. If it isn't then you have to hunt for the anchor and/or move your head to align things and I subscribe to the theory that you should not have to move your head whatsoever to align with the peep and find proper anchors.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

All 3 bows -3/16 metas.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    to set peep height correctly you draw the bow, anchor and open your eyes and the peep should be right there. That is only correct if the bow's draw length is correct in the first place.
    Agree, draw length make such a big difference and it just doesn't effect peep position or anchor point. Very important to get right.

Post Thanks / Like

well im not too sure what peep i have but after looking at a bunch of pics,the one the looks just like mine would be the fletcher tru peep max hunter 1/4".

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=SonnyThomas;55123]
    [QUOTE=bfisher;54955] I don't know who ever started this idea that the sight guard has to be enveloped by the peep, but it's not necessarily a must. Years ago I did some of my best shooting with a 6X scope and a 1/32" peep that didn't show much more than the dot in the scope. Of course it wasn't very practical for bowhunting because not much light passed through it, but for field and indoor target it was a dream. The whole idea of encircling the sight guard is to ensure that you are anchored in the right place. Well, with a 1/32" peep there is little doubt.

Barry, I use the circles from Specialty. Having a large housing the circles work well with the smaller peeps. So a circle in a circle and the center is always in the center.
    Pic didn't take right. Circle thickness is not as thick as it shows and the pin is the same color as the circle. Them two little fuzzy things on the housing is for the sun shade (where ever I put it). That is a Boss housing, all carbon and it is light. Knocking on wood here > Scope rods breaking? That scope rod is the original and right at 10 years old.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but where is the pin you speak of? You don't mean the dot in the middle do you? I've used those same stick-ons for indoors and just removed the little center dot. When I speak of a pin I mean a fiber optic pin, whether it be from the side or an UP pin such as used in most of the slider sights.

Some years ago I had a Sure-Loc Supreme and used different scopes with it. First was a Specialty Super scope made of plastic with a center drilled lens. I don't know how many threaded rods I snapped with this thing before I found out about armoring it. Later, wanting better quality, I got a Bullseye scope and had no issues with this. The only problem I had was that I got this setup in the event I got into field shooting again, which didn't happen so I sold the whole works a couple years ago.

Right now I'm using the Lens kit B in both my HHA sights. 4X on the Alien Z and 2X on the Nemisis. I've had a few occasions where I was getting some major reflection through the lens. My buddy used his hat to block the sun and still didn't help. Taking aim a 4th time and rally paying attention I finally figured out that the reflection was ME. I was seeing my face in the lens. Looks like these things are headed for Lens Crafters to get some anti-reflective coating. I would also like to get a sunshield, but it keeps slipping from my mind. I really need to make a list for when I go to the shop.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver