Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: odd grouping

Post Thanks / Like

Default odd grouping

Hey guys,
    Quick question. So I have my bow dialed in ok, not perfect but decent. I have a 25 yard pin and 35 yard pin. I tend to group a little to the left. At 15 yards I'm stacking arrows in the high left corner of a 2" square. I espect the high portion being that I'm using a 25 yd pin at 15. So I take it out to 25, I can put 2 arrows into a 2" square, then the next 2 arrows are 6 inches to the left of the square. I thought at first maybe I'm pulling the shot, sometimes it happens, but not every time. And its enough to start bugging me a lot. And whats even more odd, the 2 shots that go left are usually perfect up and down, and nearly touching one another, like really really tight. Its not with every group, but on a regular basis.
    So the question is, am I tourqing the bow, slapping the release, I cant figure out whats going on. I know i'm sighted in a little left, but not much. And I've pulled random shots plenty of times that landed arrows in nowheres land. But I'm consistently pulling 2 arrows that almost robin hood one another. Can I be duplicating a big mistake 2 times in a row? does lightning strike twice in the same spot?
    I dont have any pictures to show my form, I'm a newer archer so it could be that. My set up is an extreme rear sight, with a cobra 5 pin sight with all the pins removed except 2. I'm also using a new release, hand held tru fire 3d, with a bow I havent shot more then 50 or so times. Any ideas explinations?
    The bow hasnt really been tuned, it was used, and I left the rest alone from the guy before. But it looks aligned properly, my nock height is right as well. My arrow spine is 400, ona bow set up with 26" length and shooting 55-60 pounds. So I'm a little over spined, but not much. I have removed the sight to mount my rear sight.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Well its a great question and aas you already know there can be lots of things that can add up to the problem your having.
    The only way your gonna know if your punching the trigger or even tweaking the bow hand is by having a buddy watch your form or possibly use a video camera to tape yourself in a like 10 -20 releases in a row . the reason i say 10 -20 is after watching the video you will see the small differences you may not feel while your standing at the line.

IE: Your release hand and wrist are not aligned your not anchoring the same way everytime. thse are a few of the simple things and so you know its not only your upper body you have to look at . Your stance has lots to do with shooting Are you open , closed / Maybe to far open or to closed down in your stand can cause small nuances like that to comr about and drive you nutz.

I hope this helps even a lil bit let me know what you find out and if you fix the problem your having.

Happy Shooting and Hunting
    Hit The X
    Martin Jaguar, Carbon Express Maxx, T.R.U Ball Realease, Rage Broadheads, Luminocks, Special Stabalizer, NAP Arrow rest " NEVER STOP AIMINNG FOR THE X "
    http://ohiogreatarchers.freeforums.org/

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the reply, I will have a friend watch me shoot. I had an idea it was mostly related to form or anchor. I have only shot a bow for a month or two now, and completely changed sight system, bow, release, and anchor half way through those couple of months. I figured it had to be me. I cant wait to get this worked out, if this thing is grouping arrows that tight when I screw up, imagine what it will do when my form improves.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know if it is the same 2 arrows every time? I took a sharpie and numbered my arrows, since I just bought the arrows, I wanted to make sure if I had 1 that was a flier, I would only have to worry about that one arrow instead of guessing if I flubbed the shot.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Money Man View Post
    Do you know if it is the same 2 arrows every time? I took a sharpie and numbered my arrows, since I just bought the arrows, I wanted to make sure if I had 1 that was a flier, I would only have to worry about that one arrow instead of guessing if I flubbed the shot.
    Great Idea I have arrorw wraps that have a cool pic and at the very end it has a number in a circle . that how i keep track of my arrows by numbers .
    Hit The X
    Martin Jaguar, Carbon Express Maxx, T.R.U Ball Realease, Rage Broadheads, Luminocks, Special Stabalizer, NAP Arrow rest " NEVER STOP AIMINNG FOR THE X "
    http://ohiogreatarchers.freeforums.org/

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to start your session by shooting at 25 yds. My guess is fatigue may be causing form issues which will magnify at longer distance. Work to group arrows consistently and move to different shooting distance sooner/more often. See if the problem occurs as predictably as it does now. Fatigue can be anything from back muscles, arm muscles, hand or eye. Most all are relative to your shooting form. Also some of the guys have talked about practice sessions and how they go about things. You may want to search for more input on how to fine tune a practice session etc.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Money Man View Post
    X2 This works.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

great ideas guys.
    I did try to shoot the farther distances first, and that did help a little but it still seems to happen just not as much. I will try to number the arrows as well. I have had a few hit my shed, and wonder if that did something to the flight. thanks for the advice,
    Josh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    So I'll tear into this;

So I'm a a loss with; "you removed the sight to mount my rear sight." Maybe too many gadgets on the market for me to keep up.

I'm at odds with the 2" square impact and what your bow is capable as for speed. 4" difference between 15 and 25 yards seems more reasonable.

New shooter/Good form; Address the target. Stand straight up, feet straight down from your shoulders (more like arm pits). Head up, look to the target and draw bow and you as do try to keep the pin on the target (a little high is good as you can come down easier than go up). The bow comes to you, not you going to the bow. Peep should be right there, not tilting the head (a little exception if you're wanting nose/string contact).

Already said; Number arrows. If a arrow consistently goes astray try indexing the nock to another vane. - ie nock tuning.

Bow tune; At the present bow tune is secondary so long as you stay at one yardage. I would prefer 20 yards max until things are straightened out.

Release; Should not be a problem. Repeatable anchor point is.

Arrow spine; Not a issue.

Torquing bow; Bow grip to hand imperative. Riser grip should just be to inside of base knuckle of thumb - in the meaty part of thumb before the line in the palm of the hand. Knuckles of hand should be roughly 45 degrees. Fingers should not grip riser, period. Bow should be drawn as such, no gripping whatsoever. See pic.

Draw weight/time; Draw weight should be that you can hold the pin reasonably on target while drawing. Allow 15 to 20 seconds between shots - let the bow arm recover - move it, shake it and let it hang - the feeling you get is from blood surging through the arm - regaining full strength.

Aiming; Trying too hard kills the best of us. Relax, let the shot just happen.

Suggestion; Forget the 2" square. Blank sheet of paper, use level to draw a horizontal line. Establish height. Next, another blank sheet of paper, use level to draw a vertical line. Establish center. With this incorporate New Shooter/Good form.
    Nicely put Sonny! X2

Get in the habit of doing the same thing the same way EVERYTIME; stance, grip, draw, anchor, target aquisition, release, followthrough, and even breathing (this is your Shot Sequence). The thing is, even an archer with poor form and/or a poorly tuned setup will hit the same spot at a given distance every shot if they just complete their shot sequence the exact same way everytime they shoot an arrow. In short practice practice practice!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

One bad habit I use to have is jerking the release trigger. Which would cause the arrow to go astray. Now I am in the habit if wrapping my finger around it a pulling it.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com