Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STS - Gimmick?

Post Thanks / Like

Default STS - Gimmick?

I have had the STS come slightly loose on my Shadowcat and mess my groups up, then just lately I have twice had the rubber stop move, just a tiny bit, but enough to touch the string a little early and again it affected accuracy.

So, I just took it off completely and chrono'd the bow; all good at just a touch under 300fps, but all landing a little high. A tweak of the sight had that sorted and I then shot seven arrows (six at spots and one at a 3D) and got the most consistent results, since starting to shoot this bow.

My question: Is the STS just a gimmick? Or does it work well for you?

I like the way it stops all the rattle and buzzzzz (huh! should try one on my 1989 Lynx, now that bow rattles!), but if it's affecting consistent accuracy, it can stay in the spares box.
    Dedicated Finger Shooter.

Shadowcat(s) with Barnsdale limbs: Davis The System, Free Flyte rest.

Post Thanks / Like

if you shoot better with it off, then leave it off. if your worried about the buzz, get some string leaches

However, then you lose FPS...and we all know how important speed is, right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-the-snake View Post
    if you shoot better with it off, then leave it off. if your worried about the buzz, get some string leaches
    My thought's exactly.

Not losing any speed at all, just appeared that the POI climbed a little, so I wound the sight down and now all is well.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a big fan of the string stop. They can put more shock into the riser and into accessories and don't silence as much as catwhiskers. They do give a small speed increase over other silencers but not a huge increase.

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Of course, having something "rattling" next to your competitor might prove beneficial.
    Your on the ball today Sonny, another golden idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-the-snake View Post
    However, then you lose FPS...and we all know how important speed is, right?
    You cant loose that 2 fps and still win right?

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Destroyer;54792]I'm not a big fan of the string stop. They can put more shock into the riser and into accessories and don't silence as much as catwhiskers. They do give a small speed increase over other silencers but not a huge increase.

Many people are having trouble with the new SOS breaking apart. There is nothing wrong with the STS as long as its put on correctly. I have used them on many bows and on my Cheetah its great. You have to make sure that the string is barely touching the suppresor before you tighten it up. By all means make it the string short by 1/16 of inch an that should do it. The suppressor just needs to be tuned right it will help reduce the string from slapping your forearm too. I wish Martin would do 2 small suppressors like Mathews.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the STS on my Moab. After 3 years, not a problem one with it. I kinda liked the idea from the standpoint of getting a cleaner arrow release from the string. We all know not all nocks are the exact same fit on the string, and I thought that having a positive stopping place (or resemblance thereof ) would tend to make the arrows fly more consistently. A tight nock might hold on a little longer than a looser nock, but I think the STS should make that time shorter, giving a cleaner release and thus a more consistent flight. I don't have another bow that is similar to my Moab to compare noise with, but it is one of the quietest bows I have ever shot. I figured that had to be in part to the STS.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

As I only shoot Field and 3D comps, the noise the bow makes does not bother me, the slight buzz I am now getting I can kill with a couple of string leeches and a couple of limbsavers.

I have fitted rattlers onto a couple of my other bows, to see what effect they had. On my Ross CR337, accuracy was affected, so I took the rattler off. On my Constitution, it helped consistency and made it sound 'cool'.

I don't have a problem with the string slapping my arm, as my form keeps my forearm well out of the way and when the weathers cold / wet I use a bracer to keep my coat from snagging the string.

The main reason I removed the STS was just to see if it would affect the bow and I found the bow immediately became just a little bit more consistently accurate. As I throw something like 50 to 60 arrows up the yard every night, I know this was not just a one off, and as I chrono'd the bow just after taking the STS off, I know that the bow was still where it should be on speed (under 300 fps, as per NFAS rules), so I then wondered if we, the consumer, are forcing the manufacturers to add items like the STS to bows, when actually there is very little benefit to be gained.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMac View Post
    so I then wondered if we, the consumer, are forcing the manufacturers to add items like the STS to bows, when actually there is very little benefit to be gained.
    I think its the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter_IL_BT View Post
    I wish Martin would do 2 small suppressors like Mathews.
    Not a bad idea, just be careful using the 'm' word here.
    Last edited by Destroyer; 07-12-2011 at 11:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the sts has a purpose on bows,both my bows have them and they do there job just fine.
    2008 Martin Firecat Pro x,Martin mounted ripcord rest,Sword twilight hunter site,G5 maglock quiver,carbonx stab,H&S custom threads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post

Not a bad idea, just be careful using the 'm' word here.
    C'mon Destroyer, we aren't against any of the other bow companies.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com