Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap game cameras, and strategies to use them

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cheap game cameras, and strategies to use them

Cheap trail cams anyone? the good the bad and ugly. Under 100 which ones to get, which ones to avoid like the plague? any advice appreciated. Arrow splitter mentioned wild game innovations IR camera. any others?
    Also strategys for the best pictures, like do you find a trail and post it, do you use a salt lick or other attractant, hang it on your stand and hope your hunting a good spot. advice welcome for the newbie.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

Look into the Primos trail camera. You can get them for under 80 Bucks. It shoots great Day, night pictures and it also takes video. I'm heading out the door right now but when I get back I'll upload pics and video and a evaluation i done on AT about the Primos 35 trail camera.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two Moultrie IR cams I bought last year. I think they are 8 megapixel cams. Don't remember the model, but they were around $90 each. A little slow on the shutter speed, but they do take very clear pics night and day. Not many deer run past a cam either, so I'm not worried about the slower shutter speed. Pretty good cam for a pretty cheap price.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous C
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

I borrowed a friends older Moultrie cam and it was horrible to deal with. The interface and controls were not very intuitive at all. Maybe the newer ones are better? I know I have been looking but have ruled out the Moultries based on my experience with his. If they are better now and I'm way off base I might consider one.

Has anyone used or considered a "Plotwatcher" camera?
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 Moultries,d-40 and d-50.Have had nothing but good luck with mine and they where $99.I put one in my regular spot and move one around through the summer months to check everything out.Usually bait with cracked corn and minerials in the summer and switch over to apples in the fall.

Here is a site for reviews of cams

http://gamecamerareviews.org/
    Last edited by Simple Life; 07-13-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I borrowed a friends older Moultrie cam and it was horrible to deal with. The interface and controls were not very intuitive at all. Maybe the newer ones are better? I know I have been looking but have ruled out the Moultries based on my experience with his. If they are better now and I'm way off base I might consider one.

Has anyone used or considered a "Plotwatcher" camera?
    I know you had some bad luck with Moultrie,but they have brought out a plot watcher/camera and it is a little cheaper than the plot watcher

http://www.basspro.com/Moultrie-Game...11745/-1803924

Post Thanks / Like

Wildview has some,i get em for $57.00 dont know how good they are but thats cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    Wildview has some,i get em for $57.00 dont know how good they are but thats cheap.
    Have you used them?
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Life View Post
    I know you had some bad luck with Moultrie,but they have brought out a plot watcher/camera and it is a little cheaper than the plot watcher

http://www.basspro.com/Moultrie-Game...11745/-1803924
    I have only used two older models so I don't know if it is bad luck or not. They were sturdy, used 6V lantern batteries and were black is about all I remember besides not being very user friendly.

2 reviews on the one you linked. One 1 star and one 5 star review. Not enough for me to buy one just yet. Thanks though.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a review I did on the Primos Truth 35 Camera on AT.

Primos Truth Cam 35 Photo Eval with Vids to come Later

I've been trying to Spread my pics between several other Peoples threads, But it gets kinda time consuming.So I am just gonna put it on one thread. I have had the cam for about two days. I ordered directly from Primos in Flora MS. I've been moving the settings around and trying the best Settings for me. I am fortunate as that I live out in the country by State land and that i don't have to travel far to Scout for Critters. A lot of the Critter's come down to my house. So it's easier to go through the pics and change the settings, if needed. I found the Instructions to be easy and the Words on the Cam itself self explanatory. I placed the 4 batteries in and a 4 GB SD Card. this cam take Pics and vids Both Day and Night. The only thing that i was partially concerned with was the Shutter noise others on here commented about. On a Quiet day, I can hear the shutter click about 10-15 feet away. As soon as the winds kinda picked up i no longer could hear the Shutter click. In Two days, i was able to take roughly 100 pics of Animals. I had the cam set on 3 Multi Shot mode every 10 seconds with the Sensor set on Normal. I did have three pics of the CRP field with no Animals in it from strong winds blowing the vegetation around. When i placed the sensor on HIGH. Now i have it back to 3 Multi Shot burst with the NORMAL Sensor, for photo's with a delay of 1 minute. I am very happy with the camera now and it is now placed somewhere on a mountain side ready to take pics. I will retrieve it sometime on Monday and switch out the SD card. if all goes well for the location. I will switch it over to Video and see if i can get a Good size buck to come into view. All i did was place the cam on a Deer trail that funnels down to Squeeze point where deer need cross a Low fence to get to a Alfalfa field.

Here's some Website info about this Primos Truth 35....

This could be the easiest to operate camera ever developed without sacrificing performance. Simply load 4 "D" cell batteries, insert your SD card and slide the switch to photo or video and this camera is ready to go. With 3.0-MP resolution and a 35-LED bank that allows quality image capture out to 40 ft – in all light conditions, day or night – this affordable infrared scouting camera gives you everything you need to prepare for a great hunt. 1.5 second trigger speed (0.3 second when camera is not in sleep mode). This camera features a 40 ft. extended night range.

TRUTH CAM’S ARE AS SIMPLE AS IT GETS! Come pre-configured out-of-the-box with optimal default settings. Easy as installing batteries and a SD memory card to start recording pictures and videos.

TRUTH CAM ADVANTAGES

- Easy to understand quick instructions are printed on camera door for easy reference*

- Allows selection of number of active LED’s (more night range or battery life)**

- Captures photos or video

- Molded security cable hole through case provides theft prevention

- Primos reliability and customer support – 1 Year Warranty

- Supports up to 8 GB SD card, for months worth of images

* Truth X Cam has on-screen instructions instead **All models except Truth Cam 35

Features:

EXCEPTIONAL Trigger Speed, Menu Design, Quality Photo/Video Infrared Range, Battery Life, Security.

Storage Capacity

PHOTO 3.1 MP- 1GB/820, 2GB/1650, 4GB/3300, 8GB/6610
    PHOTO 1.3 MP- 1GB/3300, 2GB/6660, 4GB/13330, 8GB/26660

VIDEO 10 Sec High Res- 1GB/ 50, 2GB/100, 4GB/200, 8GB/400
    VIDEO 30 Sec High Res- 1GB/20, 2GB/40, 4GB/90, 8GB/180
    VIDEO 60 Sec Low Res- 1GB/70, 2GB/140, 4GB/280, 8GB/570