Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firecat questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Firecat questions

I have a 2010 Firecat TR2, DW 57# DL 28" shooting a 380 grn arrow and I am only getting 252fps. Any of the guru's on here have an idea as to why it is so low. If my calculations are right I should be getting around 272-275fps. Have ran the numbers through several calculators on the internet and they all say I should be getting from 270-278fps.
    Rod Halford 1SG U.S. Army (Retired)
    Scott's Strings Staff Shooter www.scottsstrings.com
    Dead Center Archery Staff Shooter www.deadcenterarchery.com
    Pro Staff U-Slide Bow Holder www.u-slide.com
    M4L

Post Thanks / Like

For what its worth ive got a 2008 firecat pro x and at a 29DLx64#DW with a 372grn arrow i was shooting 285fps through chrono,that my hunting setup.So i would say your about right or close to it.
    If you want to go faster get a lighter arrow and up the draw weight.
    2008 Martin Firecat Pro x,Martin mounted ripcord rest,Sword twilight hunter site,G5 maglock quiver,carbonx stab,H&S custom threads.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    For what its worth ive got a 2008 firecat pro x and at a 29DLx64#DW with a 372grn arrow i was shooting 285fps through chrono,that my hunting setup.So i would say your about right or close to it.
    If you want to go faster get a lighter arrow and up the draw weight.
    I agree

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks guys!
    Rod Halford 1SG U.S. Army (Retired)
    Scott's Strings Staff Shooter www.scottsstrings.com
    Dead Center Archery Staff Shooter www.deadcenterarchery.com
    Pro Staff U-Slide Bow Holder www.u-slide.com
    M4L

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Drop your field points down to 85grns. Up your bow to an even 60 and see what the will give you, on the calculator.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod26 View Post
    Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks guys!
    You would be suprised what a inch and more draw weight will do.Also i would check timing and axle to axle length and brace height to make sure everything is in spec so no string stretch has accured.You can loose speed that way too.
    2008 Martin Firecat Pro x,Martin mounted ripcord rest,Sword twilight hunter site,G5 maglock quiver,carbonx stab,H&S custom threads.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2010 Firecat TR2, DW 57# DL 28" shooting a 380 grn arrow and I am only getting 252fps. Any of the guru's on here have an idea as to why it is so low. If my calculations are right I should be getting around 272-275fps. Have ran the numbers through several calculators on the internet and they all say I should be getting from 270-278fps.
    I have had or do have several bows with the Cat/Nitro/Hybrix cams and I'll let you know a little secret. When you plug the IBO speed into your calculator reduce it by 20 fps. IMO, based on actual chrono results the IBO speed are inflated by that amount. And if you want real numbers then use a real chrono. Every on-line calculator I've used has produced speeds about 15 fps faster than actual chrono results.

In fact, I just used the Backcountry calculator I just worked up my specs. IBO speed-335fps, 27" draw, 230gr. arrow. Calculator says my arrow speed is 319fps. My bow shop's chrono says just about 275 fps. Which is right? Sad to say, but I can definitely tell when speeds are around 300 so I'm believing the chrono.

In your case, if you start shooting 5 gr/lb you'll have an arrow 95 gr lighter. That will boost the speed up about 40 fps or a little more--close to 295-300. If you're just going to hunt with it then 252 fps is plenty. I killed the majority of my deer with compounds shooting less than 230 fps and some of them at a measely 190 fps or so (many years ago).
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Its somewhat easier to work it out going to IBO than the other way around.

So we have 57#, 28", 380 gr = 252fps

IBO (5 grains per pound) at 57# = 285 grains. Which means 95 grain less and at least a 25 fps increase. We are up to 277fps. Add another 26 fps to get to 30", now 303 fps IBO. Add the usual IBO 'mythbuster' value of 20 fps and we get 323 fps IBO. Still a little short so there could be some extra fps missing but its not far off.

I would be a little disappointed at the speed your getting too btw.

Post Thanks / Like

Your DW isnt helping either.

Post Thanks / Like

'09 Firecat
    62# dw
    29" dl
    385gn arrow = 294/295fps thru chrono anytime.