Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: starting to HATE my Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Default starting to HATE my Martin

I bought a 2010 Martin Cheetah over the winter. I thought it looked like a great bow for the price, so i went for it. I hated all of the factory accessories that came in it. They were advertised as different brands than what were in them. It had a cheap dim 5 pin sight, a horrible factory quiver, end a quickened 360 rest that made a ton of noise on the draw, so I put an octane stabilizer, extreme sight, fuse 3 arrow quiver, and qad drop away rest on. I then had to put on the sts and limbsaver buttons because this bow was soooo loud. After I started singing arrows I found a lot of string wear happening on the cables, and shooting string. I found a ding in the idler wheel. The ding was mostly on the outside edge, so it appeared it was just the extreme string angle causing this. I ended up getting new vaportail strings and cables because or the wear, and poor quality of the factory strings. I found the factory cable slide was shaving the cables and causing wear, so I replaced it with a Saunders hyperglide. I just started shooting the bow with the new strings today, end my f7 cam module totally bent over to the side, and the string went odd track in the cam. I don't know what to do. It seems I have one problem after another, and am seriously thinking of getting rid of my Martin and getting a different brand. I have not gotten any help from customer service, and am sick of putting money into this bow. I bought it in a budget, and it turns out I had to spend more money than I wanted to in the first place. I am just looking for advice. Do they make metal cam mods? Do all cheetahs suck?

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like your bow is so out of tune it started causing problems.and no not all of them suck.if tuned riht then you would have one nice bow.the problem parts you have,you should have caled mcsp as soon as you seen it.did you buy it new or used.martin fixes problem with factory parts but they cant put it back together for you.in hine sight you should have came on here as soon as any problems came up so we could have walked you through it.im sorry your bow is not performing up to par.so how about some detailed pic's of the problem area(s).and any and all info on the bow.also what have you done to the bow to tune it.oh ya and calm down a bit,take a breath and relax.we dont want to see an all out war on this thread.
    Last edited by gravedigger; 07-16-2011 at 02:15 PM.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Pizzadave, I am sorry to hear that you are having so many problems. For the Martin problems you list the string and cables the slide, ding in idler, f7 mod. The question I have is what is your dealer doing about all this? If your dealer set it up he is responsible for the bow. As far as the accessories, I have to tell you Martin didn't make them. So they were a choice you took. When you buy through a dealer you can shoot the bow and test it first. Then swap out accessories you don't like or want to up grade. But it sounds like you didn't get it through a dealer. Also I would have sent it back to whom you bought it from, if it didn't have the accessories as advertised. The bow it self is guaranteed, its to bad the one you bought it from isn't working with you to solve this issues.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I made the horrible mistake of buying it from a "dealer" on eBay. I will never do this again. The guy I had work on it said he has it in tune well.... as far as what I have done, just papertuning.... I don't really know what more I really can do. He set up the cam for me, and I got the idlers straight by twisting the split cable like usual. I cannot go through a local shop to accomplish anything cuz I dint buy it from them. I will take some pics of the mod. That is really my only current issue. The eBay seller I went through of course cancelled his membership when I fought for a refund, so I got stuck with the bow. Is there anything I can do to battle cam lean? Doea that crazy torque tamer work?

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What mod do you currently have in it? Take pics on the cam and the lean. The way we straighten the bow out is walk you step by step through it and get all the specs correct. Then the bow will be shooting the way it is designed. With a Martin you do not need a bow press so you can do everything yourself.
    1. Measure the Axle to Axle on both sides to make sure it is correct.
    (if one side is longer than the other it will cause limb twist or idler lean)
    2. Measure Brace height to see if that is correct.
    (if not surely some thing else is out of spec)
    3. Any good Martin dealer should do work on it.
    Mine does and some others I know do.
    If not you can send it to martin if it is warranty work.
    The bow will have some cam lean if it is major it could be another problem like bearings.

Doe that crazy torque tamer work? yes!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pizzadave View Post
    I cannot go through a local shop to accomplish anything cuz I dint buy it from them.
    welcome piazzadave!! You've found the right site for info and suggestions. I would suggest you take your bow to another Pro Shop or look to see if there may be a Martin dealer near you. My 08 Slayer X had it's limbs splintered and crack. The Pro Shop I go to isn't even a Martin dealer, but as instructed by Martin, I got it there and the limbs are getting shipped to the pro shop where he will R&R the limbs on the bow and tune it. My limbs cracked just last week. I think if you contact Martin, they will help you anyway they can .... at least that's the experience I have had with them. I know it sucks to have a bow fail, but give Martin a chance to make it right for you ... I think you'll be pleased with the customer service you get. As far as your dealer not willing to help, sounds like you should look else where to do business!! I'm more than willing to pay my local shop for his time and especially his knowledge of how to correctly setup a bow!! I don't have the faintest idea how to even square one up, yet, but I'm learning something new everyday thanks to the great members and info here on the MTF!! Hang in there and keep us informed about what will come of your bow issues.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome pizzadave!

Quote Originally Posted by pizzadave View Post
    I bought it in a budget, and it turns out I had to spend more money than I wanted to in the first place.
    Do this a bit myself, buy cheap and end up spending more than I should, enough to by a expensive bow in the first place. Anyway, you can buy a metal module and it might fix one of your problems.

eBay or archerytalk or wherever, doesn't matter really, your not safe from a lemon.

Post Thanks / Like

Sell it to me.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

there are several on here that shoot Cheetahs or the Dicks equivalent. We all seem to love them. I have one and just hooked my nephew up w a new 2010 a couple weeks ago. They shoot great. Sorry bout your dilema,but you got screwed by a bad dealer it sounds like. I'd offer to releieve you from your problem but I've got two bows that I'm happy with now. Find a good pro shop to help you out. Chalk it up to lessons learned. Don't buy w/o seeing/shooting a perspective bow.

if you want to pay the costs,send it to me w any parts and I can get the work done free at my pro shop if I can't figure it out myself.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by POOR-SHOOTER View Post
    Sell it to me.

I would sell it if I didn't have so much cash tied up in it. The sad thing is... thus is the list of what I have spent.

2010 Martin Cheetah. $430
    Vaportail strings $100
    Sts $25
    Limbsaver buttons and string silencers $25
    Meta peep $12
    Extreme 4 pin sight $85
    Qad drop away rest $50
    Octane stabilizer $60
    Fuse 3 arrow quiver $50

Total cost $837

So I know I can't get near that for a price!