Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cat Whiskers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cat Whiskers

Okay, I have done alot of searching on the interwebs and I know how to do the cat whiskers but my issue is no bow press. Now I have heard it mentioned on here that you do not need a bow press to work on a martin bow. So how would you do the whiskers without the bow press to relieve tension on the string?

BTW I am on a mission to wipe out noise on my bow. Everything on the damn thing is vibrating loose. I found that the levers on the sight came loose and that was causing noise so I tightened them down and cut some noise down. I am now looking at the SOS and am going to put some foam behind the rubber and see what happens I also put rubber washers between the SOS and TRG to dampen out any noise there. Almost there I only have until Sept 17th to work the kinks out before I try and get first blood.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

No need for a bow press. All I do is serve them on.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always just tied on my whiskers. No reason to use a bow press or anything else. There's a ton of videos on Youtube showing how to tie them on. I like to tie them on in the smaller ball version. Maybe not quite as effective, but it looks alot nicer. It seemed to quiet my bow down plenty using the smaller version.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous C
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

back out the limb bolts 1 to 2 turns at a time keeping each side even,keep count.you can make a mark with a witr out pen to keep track of your even full turns.dnt take the bolts all the way out,you dont need to do this.you will have slack in the string in no time.its like 7 or 8 turns for me befor i have enough slack to take strings off if i need to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharxfan View Post
    I found that the levers on the sight came loose and that was causing noise so I tightened them down and cut some noise down.
    I had the same problem with my Truglo Xtreme Tooless. I used Locktite, and problem solved.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    I tie on whiskers with the tiny draw ties.
    Works good, done that before.

I normally only use one catwhisker strip per end, only one end for a single cam bow near the cam, and I always cut them in half and double them up to keep the strands shorter.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what happened to my bow but both draw modules had the screws come loose I loctited them and no problems since. Then I was trying to work on the SOS and I noticed that I had noise in the front of the bow when I plucked the string. Chased it down to the sight and noticed that the levers that turn the tooless adjustment on the sight were loose. I tightened them back up but I cannot loctite them as they may need to come out. I may think about it and put a star washer on them or a small O ring. I also backed out the light on the sight and put an O ring on it and now that everything is tight it just makes a thump on the SOS going to put some foam back there to see if it dampens it.

I also found a good video on YouTube ( thanks eHunter). I wanted the golfball shape and that is what they were showing. I am going to do it tomorrow evening.

Also if anyone has the TRG I bought some UHMW PE off Amazon to put on it to decrease wear kind of like what ArcherX7 did to his. This roll was like $18 from Amazon and is 2" x 18yds so if someone would like to try a piece let me know I have plenty to spare. It is also used for jigs and stuff for woodworking so the extra will not go to waste.

Post Thanks / Like

Blue Loctite is low strength and you will be able to remove them. That is it's purpose.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Just a heads up. Any time you use a thread locking agent, Loctite, make sure you shake the bottle first to mix it. I now prefer the stick form.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks MLN. I haven't seen the stick form at the local Wally world. I will have to look out for it now. I could loctite it as it is now set and just need to adjust the pins and not the comlete site. I could also take them out now I gues and put them in the bow case for future use later.