Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cat Whiskers

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep Loctite 243. I don't have that issue on my cat, its the other way around.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I did the cat whiskers and put some foam behind the SOS and it seems quieter to me but it still makes noise. I think I need to have someone stand a few feet behind me to see how bad the noise is if you are not on top of the bow. It may make tons of noise to me but to some one 3 feet away it may be as quiet as a church mouse.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharxfan View Post
    need to have someone stand a few feet behind me to see how bad the noise is if you are not on top of the bow
    Have someone stand 20 yards away and see.

I know I keep going on about this but you might find its quieter if a bow doesn't have a stop. It puts extra shock into the bow and accessories.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I may swith to a limbsaver or sims stop maybe. I am of a mind that the way the SOS was designed piggy backing on the TRG that it may not be as solid so it introduces some noise. I may try the no stop and see what happens as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Have someone stand 20 yards away and see.
    With an apple on their head, right? (Sorry, I couldn't resist LOL)
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow Splitter View Post
    With an apple on their head, right?
    That is wrong A.S, you should know the apple always goes in the mouth!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    That is wrong A.S, you should know the apple always goes in the mouth!
    Now that's mean.LOL
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Whiskers are nice!!!
    100_1042.jpg100_1045.jpg

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pics! I might have to try those whiskers if my new Exile gives me any problems. I shot it a little after I bought it on R&R and it seemed to be pretty quiet. This is my second Martin bow. I had a 2009 Saber - always had noise problems with it.
    One thing I did learn is that string stops work best if you have a tiny amount of space between the stopper and string at rest. The point is to leech away noise and vibration when the string comes forward of resting - most of it's energy is expended once it reaches that point. All it needs is to kiss the stopper. If you have it already touching the string, the stopper takes the full force of the string and transfers a tremendous amount of energy into the riser and makes a good solid thumping sound. If anything else is loose on the bow, you will hear it.

I have been browsing this forum for a couple of months and I'm disappointed to discover that there have been problems with the TRG/SOS system. I'm an incessant tinkerer, so I will be working on ways to make it better. Why Martin didn't design the TRG to make it adjustable for vane clearance? Getting that lateral torque down to minimum was the point of the TRG anyways. Why not use an angled rod (much like the slider rods) that can be rotated slightly for clearance. The TRG part of it would need to be allowed to rotate on the rod too, but a couple of set screws would take care of that.
    The SOS seems to be a good idea - places the stoppage a little closer to center. It just needs to be adjusted properly to reduce shock and keep from tearing up the rubber. I wondered about the durability of the rubber - I guess I'll find out when I get back this fall and start wearing that target out.
    2011 Martin Rack Attack (Exile with upgrades)

Nick

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum nursenick, The whiskers are the best way I have found to quiet any bow. That is why old school archers stick to them.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com