Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checking for cracked limbs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Checking for cracked limbs

Do all cracks in limbs run up and down ? I know the trick with running a cotton ball along the limb. Is this the best way to look for cracks or is there another way that is better ? Can you miss something using a cotton ball? I don't think I have any cracks, but I would like to know I am inspecting my bow the best I can.
    THANKS.
    Tommy T.
    mean people suck!
    '08 Slayer Extreme Supermag Nitrious X c

Post Thanks / Like

The cotton ball trick will show any splinters, but maybe not all cracks. I think you'll find most cracks show up in the limb fork or near the limb tips. Careful eyeball inspection of the limb tips usually is good enough there. The ones in the limb fork are usually in the deepest part of the fork and can be hard to see, but a little twisting of the cam will usually reveal these to you.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    What about the splinter's on the edges of limbs where they arc,how bad are those,can the bow be used!
    Now that is a good question. I think it would depend on just how big a splinter. I had one on a bow many years ago from bumping the limb against something hard. I took one of my wife's emery boards and filed it down, smoothed it out and shot the bow for several more years. For the average guy I'd recommend taking it to a shop and let them evaluate it; order new parts if they deem it necessary.

Just have to take into account that I'm not your average shooter. I'll do stuff like this just to see if and when the limb might snap. I'm not afraid of these things. In 38 years I've never had a bow in a shop for repairs. And I do tinker, all the time.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The only time I look for limb problems is if there is major issue, otherwise I don't want to know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by destroyer View Post
    the only time i look for limb problems is if there is major issue, otherwise i don't want to know.
    until: whack!!! lol
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

More like 'what was that' then '****' with my bows except a recurve that was more like 'change my underwear'.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the ol' days when dinosaurs were legitimate targets, I had a teardrop on my string let go. The only other time I've nearly pooped myself using a bow was when that module let go, limbs flinging flat, cable and string going everywhich way and a big noise.Not looking forward to anything like that happening any time soon.Hard to shoot when one eye is roaming all over the bow before the shot!:

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

ok i have seen ,and had it happen THERE IS NO FOR WARNING TO BLOW UP ! when it happens its like kabomb in a bottle ,the thing i can say is that martin will take care of it , all said and done a once over before u shoot is always a good thing , but when its time its time

Post Thanks / Like

I was shooting my Martin Cheetah last weekend and heard a crack noise... I looked down to the bottom cam and saw my cam mod was totally bent out of the way, and the cam lean was ridiculous... Turns out BOTH of my limbs were cracked!! The top limb had a good 3 inch long crack going from the split in the limb toward the riser, and the bottom limb had about a 1/2'' crack starting in the same spot... VERY hard to see the bottom one, especialy with the camo pattern!!! BUT I just dropped my bow off today at a local shop, and Martin is covering all of the parts, thank god for Joel at customer service....

Post Thanks / Like

Martin customer service comes thru Again!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade