Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Are Short A2A Bows Less Accurate? Why Are Long A2A Bows More Accurate?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Why Are Short A2A Bows Less Accurate? Why Are Long A2A Bows More Accurate?

So the long A2a vs short A2A thing came up again. Having only one bow I don't have a way to compare. That doesn't mean I don't have questions though?

I don't understand why a 60" bow would be more accurate than my 32" bow. We will say that both have been super tuned to the max by the same super tuner to take away any variables. If I put my short bow and a long a2a bow in a super shooter is one going to be more accurate than the other? If the points of contacts are only the grip and the d-loop I can't wrap my head around why one has a technical advantage over the other?
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Every bow out there has the potential to be just as accurate as another. the Exile for example, is just as accurate as the shadowcat, if both are tuned to the max. The only thing a longer A2A helps, is the actual guy behind the bow. Longer bows are easier to hold steady. In other words....they are more forgiving

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-the-snake View Post
    Every bow out there has the potential to be just as accurate as another. the Exile for example, is just as accurate as the shadowcat, if both are tuned to the max. The only thing a longer A2A helps, is the actual guy behind the bow. Longer bows are easier to hold steady. In other words....they are more forgiving
    x2 You practically took the words out of my mouth.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I still don't see how a longer bow is more accurate when all you are using is the grip and d-loop. MAYBE I could understand if it was a finger shooter, maybe. if you grip the bows exactly the same I don't see how the result can be any different. This is going to take some real evidence for me to believe it.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Do you really mean brace height and not ATA? I have heard that brace height is a factor but not so much ATA length.

Post Thanks / Like

A long ATA bow, with a 12" or longer stabilizer is going to weigh more than a standard short ATA bow, even if you put the same stabilizer on it. This extra weight is going to stabilize the bow when it's in your hand. Think about it. When shooting a rifle that is only 5 lbs, you tend to move a little more than you would when you shoot a rifle that weighs 9lbs.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharxfan View Post
    Do you really mean brace height and not ATA? I have heard that brace height is a factor but not so much ATA length.
    Brace height is also a factor. The longer the brace height, the more forgiving the bow is. This doesn't mean that a short brace height bow is inaccurate. It just means the shooter is doing a little more work.

Post Thanks / Like

Your point is valid if you are a Hooter Shooter. The point is we humans are not Hooter Shooters. We can and do make mistakes and have breakdowns in our form. This is where the longer bow will shine in comparison to the short one. The longer bow will not MOVE as much as the shorter one when we make slight mistakes.

There's always the analogy of tightrope walkers. Why do they use a long pole to help with balance? Simply because the ends, being farther from the center, are harder to move so it stays balanced better with less effort from the user. Just a matter of physics.

The same laws of physics apply when having a heavier bow and/or longer stabilizers. As mentioned, too, is brace height. Nobody has mentioned riser geometry, but this plays a major role also. Less reflex means less potetial for torque. It's not all one thing that plays a role in producing accuracy. It's the whole shooting setup. The less a bow can move at the shot the more accurate it will be in the hands of a shooter.
    Last edited by bfisher; 07-19-2011 at 01:24 PM.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I reread some stuff on Hunters Friend and it is not so much that the bow is accurate or not it is more a matter of it exposing any flaws in your technique easier. So if you have sloppy form then it shows easier on a short ATA bow were as a longer ATA bow will allow for more sloppiness in your technique. Same with brace height from what I understand.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Longer ATA bows are more consistently accurate due to the less acute angles. All these steep angles make a bow harder to shoot, everything is more critical, shooting & tuning. The steep angles cause more problems with cable rubbing, cutting & limb twist, etc so its harder to make a properly aligned bow with a short ATA.