Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Are Short A2A Bows Less Accurate? Why Are Long A2A Bows More Accurate?

Post Thanks / Like

Summary: Long ATA bows are more accurate than short ATA bows in the long run because they have less acute string angles, are more balanced, and overall more stable than short ATA bows.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

No shark I wasn't talking brace height. I specifically left that out of the equation. I think that BH is less of a factor with fall away rests these days.

Arrow Splitter. I made no mention of adding a stabilizer. I understand how they work and why but I'm talking only the physical shooting traits between the two length bows. Acute string angles don't seem to be a factor for a person using a release. At least I don't think it would.

Barry, I'm not sure I can follow the analogy. If the tight rope walked held the pole vertical then I can see the relationship. The pole is also MUCH longer and Much heavier heavier so I don't really think they would be equal examples. The longer bows would have a bit more weight so that could play a bit into the equation but it seems like that weight would be much more centralized.

Yep Sonny, I'm a new comer but I'm not offended a bit if my bow isn't as accurate as a Shadowcat or other long A2A bow. I am just trying to figure out why that is. I'm the kid that always asked the teacher, why. Once I understood why something was the way it was I was happy.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

the tight rope analogy is accurate MLN, and its because of physics... if all the tight rope walker needed was weight to steady himself, he could take a 20# bowling ball and carry that across with him. However, he needs help in steadying himself, much the way we steady ourselves by throwing our arms out for balance when we feel we're about to fall.

So instead they may use a 2# 10' pole with 9# weights on the ends; still weighs 20# but with the weight spread out further from center, you introduce leverage into the equation, making it more difficult for little changes in the center to effect the balance of the whole.

If you want to try it out, take a long barbell or a broom stick and lay it across your shoulders. Sit down and turn left/right; you'll feel the resistance in your abs (this is a great exercise too!) and see how much harder you have to work when you add weight to the ends.

The same principle comes into play with longer ATA bows; the leverage from having longer ends from center makes it so that minor changes/mistakes/adjustments at center effect the balance of the whole less than a shorter ATA.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Don't dismiss brace height, it is an important factor in accuracy, even with drop away rests.

With lower BH, the 'power stroke' of the bow lasts a little longer and despite a drop away rest, the arrow is still attached to the bow, which is still being held in your hand. If you do not follow through properly and relax from the shot too early, then that will affect your accuracy. With a short AtA bow with low brace height, any movement of you arm or hand during the loose is amplified.

Even with a long AtA bow, if I REALLY want to nail the target, I do not relax until the arrow is in the target.
    Dedicated Finger Shooter.

Shadowcat(s) with Barnsdale limbs: Davis The System, Free Flyte rest.

Post Thanks / Like

I think what I am gathering here is that it is just forgiveness that is the difference between the short and long A2A bows. The added mass is keeping the bow put during the shot making the results better if you don't do everything perfect. On the other hand if everything was equal, meaning the shooter didn't make any mistakes and had perfect repeatability (or shot in a machine), there is no advantage to the longer bow?
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Ok who won lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOPE I DONT GET ANY I WANT TO KILL U MAIL FROM THIS LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    gotta be spam!

me just had to.
    Ok, I'll ban him. LOL
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows

Post Thanks / Like

um checked spam bucket empty lol !!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

hey what the heck! ban! gimmie break

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by polaris754 View Post
    hey what the heck! ban! gimmie break
    Just kidding Polaris. But now that I think about it....LOL